GPS question

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity I was wondering, , , ,
1) On take off you have good gps and home point recorded. Then, for some reason, you lose GPS while flying then re-gain gps, does it re-set home point again to where it re-gained gps or keep the original home point?
2) What conditions could cause loss of gps signal

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity I was wondering, , , ,
1) On take off you have good gps and home point recorded. Then, for some reason, you lose GPS while flying then re-gain gps, does it re-set home point again to where it re-gained gps or keep the original home point?
2) What conditions could cause loss of gps signal

It saves the original home position because it only allows that before takeoff, I believe. I've never seen my P4 lose the home reference. Loss of GPS comm could be caused by strong RF interference from other local sources or flying under obstacles. Of course if you have no GPS comm while auto-homing, it won't work.

Unlike P3P craft the P4 has compass redundancy, with dual compass support. I have never had a compass error with my P4, but with P3P this does happen on occasion for what seems to for no reason. As for GPS, in addition to going under a large cement bridge or being indoors, I have lost a significant number of satellites flying in a deep narrow canyon, which makes sense since you have a reduced view of the sky. So watch the satellite count in the GO app if you happen to fly into narrow deep canyons. Oh, one more scenario, if you fly under high tension power lines, the large ones with 450,000 volts, you can lose satellite connection. It's OK to fly over them if you're at least 50' above, but under them can be problematic I've found.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.