Got my Nvidia shield tablet today, HELP!

Mines doing great so far without disabling the unwanted apps. I Have a sunshade coming Monday and probably will also get some kind of anti-glare screen covers as well.
Took it out for a trial run today, burnt up 3 batteries, nearly a hour of flying, no issues at all other then difficulty to see the screen in the sun!
I just got my "Mr Shield" anti-glare screen protectors for my Shield through Amazon. It works great! Took it out into direct sunlight yesterday and I was impressed. I would recommend.

Reactions: Gary M
Have a new shield and wondering if I should update it to marshmellow or keep lollipop?

I didn't upgrade works great way it comes

The nVidia Shield has very few apps that I would consider bloat. Its pretty **** lean as far as out of the box tablets go. It doesn't have a carrier so there is none of that bloat. The lolipop it ships with is also fairly lean with little bloat. I made sure the stylus stuff was off (since I don't have nor plan to have one) and the game hub, again, no plans on games.

Other than that, its been a rocket with my P3P and my P3A.

As for sun shades. Yea, it kinda needs one. I don't think its got as bright a backlight as my Galaxy S5. If it does, it sure seems dimmer in daylight. I made my own shade for under $3 (if you have a 3D printer):
nVidia Shield K1 Sun Shade DIY

I suppose you could put the velcro dots directly on the tablet. I didn't want to so I printed the bracket.

I also didn't upgrade to Marshmallow as I had read negative issues with higher battery drain rates after upgrading. It already doesn't have the best battery life and I wasn't willing to kill that even more. Don't know if that has been solved. Don't care. It works as is so I see no reason to go through the upgrade.

like the sunshade I have wasted 40 dollars so far and cant find one that fits good

I got my Nvidia shield today, and trying to get rid of unnecessary apps.

Just install the DJI GO app, and fly. I leave all the rest of the stuff on there so when I'm not flying, I can play a few games. Some of the Nvidia stuff is interesting. Doesn't take up a lot of room. Of course, I have the 32GB version with LTE, so it bothers me less. Love my Shield! Great video.

same here only use it for the bird

The magnets are completely safe

In fact, they have zero impact on the devices functions.
many tablet and phone for many years have included magnets.
and there are several after market magnet cell phone docks.
I personally use the iMagnetMount and have for 4 years across 3 phones and that magnet sits right on top of the sd card.

but back to the issue.

The Shield doesnt come with nearly as much bloatware as a Galaxy device thankfully.
what we want to do is shut down and prevent apps that we dont use from running and free up as much ram as possible.

Performance tips:
- Install as few apps as possible
- facebook, dropbox are big ram hogs
- Uninstall as many apps that you dont need as possible
- Put the settings gear icon on your home screen so its easy to access
- Limit your home screen to just one screen
- Open up your app in the settings (gear icon) and on each app you dont want to use EVER, choose DISABLE if possible.
- Go into settings and on each app and turn off notifications for app you dont use
- Install an image viewer. A good lightweight app for viewing images is called Qikpic, its free in Google store.
(because the Shield doesnt have a image viewer built in outside of their gaming console app or Google drive, but Gdrive eats ram and bandwidth because its all store din the cloud. This can cause unwanted compression and degradation f the image, plus it just takes longer to render)
- Disable automatic updates in Google play
- Disable automatic update for the tablet firmware, this way its not consistenly running the update process searching for updates daily.
I disabled the whole shield game hub thing.

This is what I have disabled:
- cloud print
- contacts
- fallout shelter
- google keyboard (all other languages)
- google play games
- google play movie & TV
- google play Music
- hangouts
- Nvidia Dabbler
- Shield Hub
- Squid
- Twitch

I only use my tablet for the Phantom and for surfing internet.
My typical free Ram is about 1.25 gb when not running DJI app
and about 800mb free when running DJI app
The Sheild table is a 2gb ram tablet. it manages its ram very well for an Android device.

I use the regular DJI Go app, not DJI Go 4

I have Lightrom installed for basic editing and UAV forecast for weather conditions. There are other apps you can install to help you determine flight areas...but they dont need to live on your tablet, they work just the same on your phone.

Android is superior to iOS when it comes to functionality and expandability....however, like a windows PC it needs room to breathe and flex, so high specs are required to get a good experience.
But when you add high specs like extra ram, then the Manufactures want to fill that space, they want to sell it to app vendors....thus bloatware is born.
The more space you have the more space you have to sell.

This is why a rooted version of android and a raw copy of windows runs circles around Apple products....until you start adding apps, antivirus nonsense, security suites, custom launchers. ect.

So Apple will always win this fight unless folks decide to root. Their systems basic fucntions and the priority of how apps are used and closed is superior.

Think how fast a Galaxy s7 or the s8 would be if Samsung didnt have 50+ apps from 20+ vendors all running concurrently to manage all the BS we dont need.

Thanks for the detailed descriptions of how y'all run your N-Shield. I have one arriving today, so I'm interested in what people think about this tablet. My Shield will be replacing an older Samsung Tab 3. Which ran DJI Go OK, but was slow and often took little time-outs with video display. I'm very much looking forward to the increase in speed that the Shield should provide. Also, I'm hoping that the Shield will run the simulator in DJI Go.

Thanks for the detailed descriptions of how y'all run your N-Shield. I have one arriving today, so I'm interested in what people think about this tablet. My Shield will be replacing an older Samsung Tab 3. Which ran DJI Go OK, but was slow and often took little time-outs with video display. I'm very much looking forward to the increase in speed that the Shield should provide. Also, I'm hoping that the Shield will run the simulator in DJI Go.

Hope it helps,
Although it will be much more stable and run smoother than your galaxy tablet, dont expect it to be super butter smooth. I like my Shield, dont get me wrong, but the ipad is a superior piece of hardware for this job.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic