Got my 1st taste of Drone hate...

Are your neighbours worth spying on? That would be a question I'd ask. People with nothing to hide hide nothing......
While all the posts were on the OP side, all seems to know the drone owners' right. All seem to forget the definition of privacy. Taking a photo of private property or person without permission is a privacy issue. If someone's backyard is in your picture and you do not ask for permission, you have a privacy issue. If someone's face is in your picture and you have not asked for permission, that person has the right to be removed from your picture. If you don't, you are breaking the law.

I've been flying my p3 around a quarter mile or so up the road from my house to check out some construction going on. Took off yesterday evening to have a another look at the progress, cruised around at about 250-300', snapped a few pics and came home. I then proceeded to the fridge and grabbed a beer and headed back outside to enjoy the 80 degree desert evening[emoji5]and look at the pics I took.

Shortly after I notice two local police officers at my back gate wanting to know if I was the drone owner. I confessed immediately and invited them in. It seems a neighbor up the road reported a 'camera drone' had been hovering over their house spying on them regularly. I explained what I'd been doing, and after checking my FAA registration they told me I was well within my rights and could carry on...one of the officers had a brother-in-law that's a drone enthusiast and he was pretty knowledgeable on the rules and regs of RC flying. He suggested less hovering, more moving, Lol

It felt good to know I'm ok with local law enforcement, but I do wish my paranoid neighbor would have come to me first, I'm known to be a pretty nice guy...occasionally![emoji4]

If someone is up to no good, they will be paranoid about drones with cameras. How can you "spy" on someone mowing their lawn? Maybe your neighbor is messing with the pigs n chickens.

Really, you had to go there?

Some people don't know this. I don't take much personally but something like this I might very well report. Opening someone's mailbox usually results in missing mail which can be a huge issue. It also results in someone else taking note of what kind of mail the person is getting. That can be pretty personal to some people. Because of these two issues I think it should be a serious issue when someone does something like this.

We can attribute some of the drone paranoia to Hollywood. In the movies, drones practically have X-Ray vision.
Part of the reason I try to fly where nobody is around. I don't like spectators.
And, of course there are the pervs that DO spy on 10 year old girls that are sunbathing..........

We need the dog poop payload delivery system.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
I've been flying my p3 around a quarter mile or so up the road from my house to check out some construction going on. Took off yesterday evening to have a another look at the progress, cruised around at about 250-300', snapped a few pics and came home. I then proceeded to the fridge and grabbed a beer and headed back outside to enjoy the 80 degree desert evening[emoji5]and look at the pics I took.

Shortly after I notice two local police officers at my back gate wanting to know if I was the drone owner. I confessed immediately and invited them in. It seems a neighbor up the road reported a 'camera drone' had been hovering over their house spying on them regularly. I explained what I'd been doing, and after checking my FAA registration they told me I was well within my rights and could carry on...one of the officers had a brother-in-law that's a drone enthusiast and he was pretty knowledgeable on the rules and regs of RC flying. He suggested less hovering, more moving, Lol

It felt good to know I'm ok with local law enforcement, but I do wish my paranoid neighbor would have come to me first, I'm known to be a pretty nice guy...occasionally![emoji4]

You're lucky... in my neck of the woods legal flying is basically non-existent. Like this BS 9km/5mi rule from ANY airport/aeordrome... which means entire towns are banned by default, and if you have a hospital with a helipad in it, say goodbye to legal flying as well. Then there is a 150 m rule (no closer from bldgs, people, ANIMALS... etc.). GOOD luck flying anywhere not to violate the 150 m rule. Impossible... unless on a big lake, which is where i fly the most. Over towns? ILLEGAL in 99% of cases.

Pretty nice guy, occasionally! Me too, but when it comes to neighbors, their ignorance astonishes me! But, you can thank the news media for most of the ignorance of people. Tell them the sky is falling and they will believe it!

It's certainly your choice to be an open book just as it's the choice of many other law abiding citizens to keep their book closed. A desire for privacy is not an indicator of wrong-doing.

It may be a fact that we all should have and are by law(at the moment)given the right to privacy. We also need to understand that this technology is here to stay. There will always be a couple of pervs that are dumb enough to try and "spy" on people with a loud non-stealth quad buzzing above. They used to call them "Peeping Toms" So now they'll have to start calling them Aerial Adams? The law will take care of them. We will, like it or not, see drones, delivering goods, transporting people etc. and just like any other annoyance, we'll get used to it. Educate people on the facts. Let them see what the camera sees. Even when only 50 ft. up, there's really not much a person with EVIL intentions can see.
I personally got the 4k to use for it's outstanding aerial video. Used to be, a helicopter or crane was needed for imagery like this. This surpasses those "old school" methods by far. My neighbors were very open to it flying 50 ft. up above, while watching themselves waving on the iPad Air monitor. They got excited watching as it took them up above the treeline and suddenly they were able to see 20 miles and the whole city. Then just seconds later 50 miles of panoramic splendor. A slow 360 pan and they were HOOKED! As drone pilots with cams, we have that magic ability to take people visually where they have never gone before. When shown the stability and handed the controller, they are all planning on their own quads! That was 4 neighbors in one flight. Mark 4 WINS in the drones for good column !!

Reactions: BushTerrors

We recently had a case in the news regarding a person who was hovering and peeping. The home owner followed the drone to where it landed in a parking lot and picked it up. The pilot did not show themselves. The cops found the pilot and charged him based on the footage on the camera. This news story ran multiple times over several weeks. This kind of bad publicity is what shapes the minds of the "neighbors". It only takes a handful of these to get a publicity seeking politician to put forth more restrictions and regulations. Hopefully some good stories about how a drone pilot saw something and helped save a life or prevented a tragedy will surface and get the same type of airtime to offset the negative stories.

Yes. It is terrible what some, perhaps many, poorly informed people are trying to do to the enormously important development of Drone technology. Thousands of us are flying and learning. Most will just have fun, but with good sense and consideration of our neighbors. A few will develop vital new ideas for Drone use which will benefit everyone in the future. Its just like when computers began to come into widespread use in the early 1990's. Imagine what the world would have lost if we let a few disgruntled soreheads stop widespread use and learning about computers?

It may be a fact that we all should have and are by law(at the moment)given the right to privacy. We also need to understand that this technology is here to stay. There will always be a couple of pervs that are dumb enough to try and "spy" on people with a loud non-stealth quad buzzing above. They used to call them "Peeping Toms" So now they'll have to start calling them Aerial Adams? The law will take care of them. We will, like it or not, see drones, delivering goods, transporting people etc. and just like any other annoyance, we'll get used to it. Educate people on the facts. Let them see what the camera sees. Even when only 50 ft. up, there's really not much a person with EVIL intentions can see.
I personally got the 4k to use for it's outstanding aerial video. Used to be, a helicopter or crane was needed for imagery like this. This surpasses those "old school" methods by far. My neighbors were very open to it flying 50 ft. up above, while watching themselves waving on the iPad Air monitor. They got excited watching as it took them up above the treeline and suddenly they were able to see 20 miles and the whole city. Then just seconds later 50 miles of panoramic splendor. A slow 360 pan and they were HOOKED! As drone pilots with cams, we have that magic ability to take people visually where they have never gone before. When shown the stability and handed the controller, they are all planning on their own quads! That was 4 neighbors in one flight. Mark 4 WINS in the drones for good column !!

Yeah, depending on what type of neighbor you have determines how best to handle the situation. I have invited all my local neighbors to come over and fly the drone. I have offered to shoot a video or photo of their house, via an orbit run or just an elevated shot. Most want one suitable for framing! I did have one come by in December at that, and suggested I was spying on his wife! I have let his kids fly mine briefly at that but he seemed to imagine I had an interest in his wife. (230/ 5'5") I assured him I did not. He kindly replied that he had called the local sheriff to find out the rules about drones flying over his property. I told him I had no desire to fly over his 2 acre lot since there are miles and miles of suitable flying here, from bottom land farming to shallow clear creeks (streams) to a skeet range. And yeah, I don't fly very low over the gun club. Overall though, I like your approach. You might fly him a cold one to show the practical side to drones! :)
Jim
WA5TEF

I see that you really have 2 choices. 1 launch your drone and take it up to 300 feet. Fly up the street to check out the road construction. Then fly in some other direction before finally bringing your drone home.

Choice 2: pack yourself lunch, a few beer, and head for the hills where you won' t bother anyone. Keep the elevation high in case you find someone's pot field. Enjoy the view!

As this is logically a pro-drone site, consider from a non-fanboy's relatively neutral observations. First, the right to privacy/invasion of privacy concerns predate drones by a few hundred years. When a neighbor undresses in an open window directly facing your property, they cannot claim you are peeping - unless/until you are caught taking pictures.
"As drone pilots with cams, we have that magic ability to take people visually where they have never gone before." The simple act of flying 50 feet up introduces a tremendous temptation to take a few shots - but violates the privacy of neighbor's activities, whether benign or not.
"this BS 9km/5mi rule from ANY airport... which means entire towns are banned by default, and if you have a hospital with a helipad in it, say goodbye to legal flying as well." When the first documented crash of any copter or plane, even worse an emergency aircraft, is attributed to a drone flown illegally, prison time will ensue, I guarantee. FCC rules are not frivolous.
There is a playful anarchy in drone groups akin to old RC aircraft groups, which also have abided by regulations for decades; the difference seems to be far more drone fans refuse to accommodate and respect the rights and boundaries of others. Last week I was a mile and several hundred feet up a dune in the Great Sand Dunes National Park, when I heard a "giant mosquito" sound; sure enough, there came a drone hovering thirty feet over us for several seconds. Guess what is a felony punishable by jail time and a $5,000 fine? That's right, flying a drone in a National Park.
Drones are being rapidly segregated into professional and recreational, i.e. expensive toys. Pros will be obliged to get licenses, register, pay fees for access rights just like grownups in most every other arena. Amateurs must abide by limits, or pay for the pro upgrade with attendant responsibilities.
You can be a grownup, or a kid. Pick which you want to be known as.

Should have said, "you know officer, he has been carrying a lot of planting and light equipment into his house lately. Perhaps that is why he is so parnoid."

Reactions: WWI Flying Ace

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart