Got my 1st taste of Drone hate...

You might be embarassed to have pictures of your inflatable mistress appear on the internet, the two of you in a variety of compromising positions :D:D:D:D:D

I believe we live in a civilized society. Law would take care of the bad elements.

I believe we live in a civilized society. Law would take care of the bad elements.
It was a joke, my friend. Laugh ;)

On a serious note, there are many legitimate privacy concerns people have that do not constitute breaches of law if violated. I think this is what the general public is concerned about, and we'd be wise to listen.

Reactions: Loz and ifly2high
Wow, your neighbour's a right c**t! Even when I explain to people that when the drone is up in the air, you look like an ant and it's hardly spying they still get funny about it. "ooh, it's making a noise" is the other one.. while it's taking off for about 20 seconds lol

We live outside the "legal city limits" and in a small residential area where the lot sizes are comfortable (1/2 to 1.5 acre lots). I often put my drone up above my yard to film sunsets. My next door neighbor is a bonafide "neighbor from hell" who shoots automatic weapons and shotguns off in his back yard at all times of the day or night. He has two teenage sons who ride racing moto-cross bikes (4-stroke & 2-stroke) up and down their property (next to my house) every day for hours at a time. I've measured 92 to 96 Db sound levels next to our bedroom. One day I went out and called the eldest (15) over. I asked him if he was aware of how much noise they were generating and explained how inconsiderate their actions were to the entire neighborhood. His response was that because he's a teenager, he's expected to have fun and this is how they do it. He then went on to say that he thought that I was "creepy" for filming them in their yard with my drone !
I really didn't know what to say other than " why on earth would I be wasting my time filming you". He replied because "you're a "creep" !! They also have 3 dogs that they allow to roam free where ever they please, soiling everyone's yard and barking at everything for all hours of the night. I'd love to have a neighbor that just called the cops :confused:

I had to call the police the other day. I was flying my Phantom over my house and realized it was spying on me. I rarely fly naked but I was still concerned. ;)
Got any pictures? no? Want some?

I took the pro-active approach and put a letter in my neighbors' mailboxes explaining I have zero interest in what's going on in their back yards, I'm flying to build proficiency, come on out and say hi when you see me flying, here's my phone number, there may even be a free roof inspection in it for you.
Very well played. Any response?

I genuinely count on the fact that my scumball neighbors think they are being spied on, maybe they will clean up their dang yard.

Reactions: umneycreep
Glad you had such a positive interaction with the police. Too bad your neighbor couldn't just try confronting you first though..

My strongest experience of drone hate came from my own hood too. This was after years of flying around with no issues.

One day a guy went ballistic. I thought he was going to take a swing at me while I was flying. I got down ok and just went inside. Next he was posting on the hood Facebook page calling me a pervert.

The last thing I would think about any of my neighbors is that they were a pervert with out proof. I tried to show him the only thing I shot was the sun, but there was no reasoning with him. I think people project there thoughts on others. My armchair psychologist theory is, folks like this guy have perv thoughts so they think everyone does. :eek:

Reactions: WWI Flying Ace
My strongest experience of drone hate came from my own hood too. This was after years of flying around with no issues.

One day a guy went ballistic. I thought he was going to take a swing at me while I was flying. I got down ok and just went inside. Next he was posting on the hood Facebook page calling me a pervert.

The last thing I would think about any of my neighbors is that they were a pervert with out proof. I tried to show him the only thing I shot was the sun, but there was no reasoning with him. I think people project there thoughts on others. My armchair psychologist theory is, folks like this guy have perv thoughts so they think everyone does. :eek:

[emoji106]

Very well played. Any response?

Yes. All very positive. Including an invitation to see a back yard in person next time they're having a BBQ. People fear what they don't know so why not let them know what to expect ahead of them experiencing it and then making their own assumptions.

Reaching out to the neighbors has served me well. I live in a semi-rural residential neighborhood, and most of my drone flying starts from my own driveway. People walk by and notice me staring up in the sky, holding a controller, or they see/hear the drone just over my house. As soon as I see that they've noticed me, I mention that I'm flying a drone, hold the controller their direction and say "wanna take a look?" Only a few have taken me up the offer, but they all see it as a friendly gesture. So far, no drone hate...

Next he was posting on the hood Facebook page calling me a pervert.
Assuming you aren't actually a pervert so your neighbor can use truth as a defense, that's legally actionable libel right there. Might be worth a cease-and-desist letter from your lawyer.

Reactions: WWI Flying Ace
People (some) tend to externalize what they believe to be a fault in society and lash out wherever they see it. The "fault" is that people can use a drone to "covet" their neighbors. Just an opinion.

I've been flying my p3 around a quarter mile or so up the road from my house to check out some construction going on. Took off yesterday evening to have a another look at the progress, cruised around at about 250-300', snapped a few pics and came home. I then proceeded to the fridge and grabbed a beer and headed back outside to enjoy the 80 degree desert evening[emoji5]and look at the pics I took.

Shortly after I notice two local police officers at my back gate wanting to know if I was the drone owner. I confessed immediately and invited them in. It seems a neighbor up the road reported a 'camera drone' had been hovering over their house spying on them regularly. I explained what I'd been doing, and after checking my FAA registration they told me I was well within my rights and could carry on...one of the officers had a brother-in-law that's a drone enthusiast and he was pretty knowledgeable on the rules and regs of RC flying. He suggested less hovering, more moving, Lol

It felt good to know I'm ok with local law enforcement, but I do wish my paranoid neighbor would have come to me first, I'm known to be a pretty nice guy...occasionally![emoji4]

Are your neighbours worth spying on? That would be a question I'd ask. People with nothing to hide hide nothing......

Reactions: umneycreep

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ODIN Reviews