Got my 1st taste of Drone hate...

I think I can reply with much more economy: Are you a lawyer?
You try hard, citing one case out of a plethora of lawsuits filed daily.
Quoting Florida law and Rand Paul? That speaks for itself. Crackpot city.
Regardless of Paul's words, if the po-po wants to fly over your house they can. In fact, that is what he refers to in your quote.
Paranoid dweeb.

"The First Amendment is not a license to trespass, to steal, or to intrude by electronic means into the precincts of another’s home or office.” Dietemann v. Time, Inc., 449 F.2d 245 (9th Cir. 1971).
WWI flying ace, for a non-lawyer you are mighty quick with opinions about your rights to infringe on others. Quick searches provide far more insight and actual legal advice, of which I include a few below.
A number of states including California and New York have statutes recognizing privacy interests. California amended its constitution to include a right to privacy, recognized common law rights of privacy, and enacted several statutes to protect privacy interests, and also wisely recognizes that individual privacy interests are susceptible to assault from high-tech devices. Several states have specifically outlawed the use of drones to violate privacy, and existing privacy laws can also potentially cover misconduct engaged in by people and businesses with drones. Thus, under the current legal landscape, companies that use drones may indeed face liability if accused of violations of privacy. ref: When Your Drone Prompts a Violation of Privacy Suit, Will Your Insurance Cover It? - Policyholder Advisor & Alert
Interestingly, insurance companies are very focused on drone liabilities, and these websites offer succinct advice and warnings regarding drone usage and misuse in the coming years:

If you invade someone's privacy with a drone, your insurance might not cover it
1. Intrusion upon seclusion Highlights:
A leading treatise defines intrusion upon seclusion as a tort in which one “intentionally intrudes, physically or otherwise, upon the solitude or seclusion of another or his private affairs or concerns, is subject to liability to the other for invasion of his privacy, if the intrusion would be highly offensive to a reasonable person.” ... For example, using a drone to hover outside someone's home while using the drone's mounted camera to peer into a window without that person's permission could subject the drone operator to liability for common-law intrusion upon seclusion.... Florida's Freedom from Unwarranted Surveillance Act prohibits the use of a drone “to record an image of privately owned real property or of the owner, tenant, occupant, invitee or licensee of such property with the intent to conduct surveillance on the individual or property captured in the image in violation of such person's reasonable expectation of privacy without his or her written consent.”...Under the statute, “a person is presumed to have a reasonable expectation of privacy on his or her privately owned real property if he or she is not observable by persons located at ground level in a place where they have a legal right to be, regardless of whether he or she is observable from the air with the use of a drone.” The prevailing plaintiff is entitled to compensatory damages and injunctive relief to prevent future violations against the offender, plus reasonable attorney's fees....The courts would almost certainly be willing to permit a victim of drone-stalking to pursue a civil action under state civil-stalking statutes.
This link shows how seriously the insurance industry has anticipated evolving drone issues and potential for litigation:
10 risks and misuses for drones

Last, although speaking in regard to drone use by government agencies, by logical extension why not let Rand Paul's words from June 2012 apply to civilian use as well?
"Flying over our homes, farms, ranches and businesses and spying on us while we conduct our everyday lives is not an example of protecting our rights. It is an example of violating them. The domestic use of drones to spy on Americans clearly violates the Fourth Amendment and limits our rights to personal privacy. I do not want a drone hovering over my house, taking photos of whether I separate my recyclables from my garbage. When I have friends over for a barbecue, the government drone is not on the invitation list. I do not want a drone monitoring where I go, what I do and for how long I do whatever it is that I'm doing."

I think I can reply with much more economy: Are you a lawyer?
You try hard, citing one case out of a plethora of lawsuits filed daily.
Quoting Florida law and Rand Paul? That speaks for itself. Crackpot city.
Regardless of Paul's words, if the po-po wants to fly over your house they can. In fact, that is what he refers to in your quote.
Paranoid dweeb.
Fair enough.

In my opinion, a hostile, confrontational attitude like yours increases the risk of violence, as well as trouble with the authorities and ultimately having one's freedom taken from them.

Not a sure thing by any means, but far more likely. Reason being, you aren't the only person on the planet, and your wants, needs, and rights are not superior to anyone elses. Others will be inclined to meet force with force, just as people are often inspired to respond to courtesy and civility with the same.

So, go ahead and dismiss those that are concerned with your flying activities; call them names and insult them. That is certainly your right, and I fully support you behaving as you please. Also understand that if you do get busted doing something you shouldn't be doing, it's likely you will get no mercy or understanding from the community, or the judge and jury that may be considering your fate.

After all, your attitude regarding such things is forever memorialized here, on the internet, freely subject to discovery -- should you ever find yourself in trouble.

I'd think carefully about that. In fact, I have.

Fact is dwallersv is a federal offence to interfere with a pilot. 5 years in prison. Perhaps those who approach drone pilots who are flying drones with an aggressive stance in the first place will want to watch out. They are the ones that need to be told that there are consequences. Let them call law enforcement and stop acting like wild west hero vigilantes if they believe you are doing something wrong.

Most people have no idea where your camera is point at when you fly past or whether or not you are taking photo's or video's.

Last edited:
Fair enough.

In my opinion, a hostile, confrontational attitude like yours increases the risk of violence, as well as trouble with the authorities and ultimately having one's freedom taken from them.

How does letting the crybullies win help us then?

How does letting the crybullies win help us then?
To start with, namecalling goes a long way to letting them win. It's juvenile, and doesn't help gain support for our point of view, which is obvious to virtually all reasonable and reasoned adults.

However, no one's talking about "letting" anyone in opposition "win". Rather, we're talking about compromising and sharing this space that we all have equal right to make use of. This includes activities that are in direct conflict with each other -- like photographing the awesome scenery in the wilderness with a drone, or enjoying the peace and quiet of the completely natural setting of that same locale.

These two objectives are in direct conflict. Compromise is necessary so both parties can gain a measure of what they want, if not everything.

Hence, rules. Of course some of these will restrict people in ways they don't want to be. However, the answer is to grow up, and understand that you can't have everything you want in a world of others who also want things. Throwing tantrums, namecalling, and/or implicitly threatening violence will not serve to improve the situation. Indeed, it's likely to make their situation worse.

Cars have been a hobby of mine for decades. I do extensive performance modifications. I really would like to take my baby 140mph down Interstate 5 in CA when I can clearly see there's no one in sight for miles down the straightline road. Well, I can't, becuase cooperating with the rest of society means I have to give that one up. Otherwise, trouble.

This is no different. Us crybullies do not win; we all do.

Fact is dwallersv is a federal offence to interfere with a pilot. 5 years in prison. Perhaps those who approach drone pilots who are flying drones with an aggressive stance in the first place will want to watch out. They are the ones that need to be told that there are consequences. Let them call law enforcement and stop acting like wild west hero vigilantes if they believe you are doing something wrong.
LOL

Come back when you have the first story of someone being convicted and fined or jailed for interfering with a drone pilot out in the general public. Until then, I'll remember not to take anything you say very seriously.

On the other hand, there are many stories of pilots being fined, and in a case or two even jailed, for failing to follow FAA as well as local rules and ordinances. Some can be read about right here on this forum.

To start with, namecalling goes a long way to letting them win. It's juvenile, and doesn't help gain support for our point of view, which is obvious to virtually all reasonable and reasoned adults....

I dunno about that. Didn't seem to hurt the current president with his taunting nicknames: Lyin’ Ted (Cruz), Little Marco (Rubio), Low-Energy Jeb (Bush), Crazy Bernie (Sanders), Goofy Elizabeth (Warren), and the infamous Crooked Hillary (Clinton). ;)

To start with, namecalling goes a long way to letting them win. It's juvenile, and doesn't help gain support for our point of view, which is obvious to virtually all reasonable and reasoned adults.

However, no one's talking about "letting" anyone in opposition "win". Rather, we're talking about compromising and sharing this space that we all have equal right to make use of. This includes activities that are in direct conflict with each other -- like photographing the awesome scenery in the wilderness with a drone, or enjoying the peace and quiet of the completely natural setting of that same locale.

I thought people had been espousing the idea that when someone comes up shouting that you are invading privacy and blah blah blah that you should pack up and leave.

That's letting crybullies win.

Why should I stop doing something legal cause they have some burr up their backside?

You don't need to answer that, it was rhetorical, just like the last one.

I thought people had been espousing the idea that when someone comes up shouting that you are invading privacy and blah blah blah that you should pack up and leave.

That's letting crybullies win. Why should I stop doing something legal cause they have some burr up their backside? You don't need to answer that, it was rhetorical, just like the last one.

Some people are on a mission to make sure we all comply with butt hurt bullies who don't like the fact we can fly our drones at all.

Some people are on a mission to make sure we all comply with butt hurt bullies who don't like the fact we can fly our drones at all.
Well, that's not my crusade. I advise politely telling people to leave you alone, and if they persist, YOU call the police on THEM.

I do have a crusade in this venture however. It's very simple: To do everything I can to stop childish idiots from screwing this hobby up and causing the general public to clamp down with such restrictive rules that there's no point in participating any more.

We're not there yet, but the sort of antagonistic, aggressive attitude that many advocate here will with certainty get us there.

Well I now have a car mounted Argtek antenna. I can simply drive away to another location, reset my home point on the go app and let drone haters alone. So now I can sit in my car and drone away. People can't see the RC so they can't know I am actually flying a drone. :)

Most of them are too short to see in my Ranger 4x4 as well hehehehe

You're lucky... in my neck of the woods legal flying is basically non-existent. Like this BS 9km/5mi rule from ANY airport/aeordrome... which means entire towns are banned by default, and if you have a hospital with a helipad in it, say goodbye to legal flying as well. Then there is a 150 m rule (no closer from bldgs, people, ANIMALS... etc.). GOOD luck flying anywhere not to violate the 150 m rule. Impossible... unless on a big lake, which is where i fly the most. Over towns? ILLEGAL in 99% of cases.
Pretty similar rules in Australia - minimum distance 5.5km from any airport/helipad, etc, plus no overflying private property without permission, not within 30m of buildings and other people.

Have also found that national parks in each state have completely different rules. Something that is completely legal in one state is worthy of an on-the-spot fine in another

I'm lucky that I live just outside the radius of our main airport and major hospitals, and I have both a wetland and a reasonable large sportsground nearby where I can fly.

But every couple of weeks or so, we have an article featuring a concerned citizen who is worried about a drone spying in their backyard.

Unlike one of the earlier responses, we in Oz don't have to worry about someone taking it out of the sky with automatic weaponry. Crocs and sharks can't jump more than a few metres out of the water either!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart