Gopro

Reaction score
Hello-

I've been looking at purchasing the phantom 3 as I've read it's a nice beginners quadcopter. I was just wondering is it possible to take their camera off and use my gopro? Or would I have to purchase the phantom 2 which I can use my gopro.

You cannot attach a GoPro to the Phantom 3. It would be best to buy a Phantom 2 since the GoPro attaches to it.

For the price of a p2 and go pro. No way. Unless you can still take it 5k ft in altitude. :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Considering that the OP already already has a GoPro camera, wants to use a GoPro camera, and it cannot be used on the Phantom 3, this is a good option if the goal is to fly a Phantom.

Reactions: Kristenl2784
Having used the GoPro on an a P1 the P3S, P3A and P3P have much better video quality, you don't have to do any post-correction due to the fish-eye look of the GoPro. There isn't that great of a difference in cost between a P2 and P3S right now. Keep the GoPro for you land adventures and us the P3S for the air, you won't be disappointed.

Hello-

I've been looking at purchasing the phantom 3 as I've read it's a nice beginners quadcopter. I was just wondering is it possible to take their camera off and use my gopro? Or would I have to purchase the phantom 2 which I can use my gopro.
I have flown a Hero 3+Silver on my Phantom 3 Pro. It is nowhere near the quality as the DJI 4K camera, mainly due to no gimbal, no FPV and no remote camera control.

Heed the advice from previous posters, it isn't practical on a Pro.

I have flown a Hero 3+Silver on my Phantom 3 Pro. It is nowhere near the quality as the DJI 4K camera, mainly due to no gimbal, no FPV and no remote camera control.

Heed the advice from previous posters, it isn't practical on a Pro.
Just curious, but how did you manage to put a gopro on your P3P?

I have flown a Hero 3+Silver on my Phantom 3 Pro.
Right -- it's certainly possible. I'm pretty sure the OP wants to attach it to the gimbal though.

Right -- it's certainly possible. I'm pretty sure the OP wants to attach it to the gimbal though.
Well, here is what I was told about gopro's and p3's. there is no link for video except wifi, which has a range of 30 to 45', so no video feed basically, and you have to take the gimbal completely off in order to stick some kind of mount on the belly of the drone, and it wont be a gimbal, just a mount, no way to power a gimbal. Oh, and the wifi for the gopro can interfere with the rc, so its best to just turn the gp on before take off, and not have a clue what youre filming. All this, with the fact that you are defeating the best feature of the drone, the camera, makes it a not too smart move. I did all this while my gimbal was being repaired by Hunch, but the guy has a gopro, you can get a p2 that uses one, seems pretty obvious to me.

Hello-

You'll need a Phantom 2 with a gimbal. Nowadays, you'll find a deal on a P2 with the gimbal.

Just curious, but how did you manage to put a gopro on your P3P?

2078A66A-31AA-43D1-81BD-20A201762B2F_zpsj9kininp.jpg

9CA189FA-3F23-4D77-B495-65CCBFEFF547_zpsexj1s4er.jpg

E6B3933E-296E-4D19-B09B-13F91639A4A0_zpscjdvryxj.jpg

This is exactly how did it, except I took all the gimbal off and the top plate. It worked, but had jello issues and obviously the camera didn't tilt, but it did work. So to the guys that say it cant be done, youre just not thinkin enough.

The only thing to consider with a P2 is that if it crashes or flies away, so does your gopro :eek: that was my reason for a P3

Exactly. I don't know if most people would consider that working ;)
Yeah but he could've easily attached another mounting plate under those Jell-O absorbers and attach a go pro to that or I know they make products for that for the P2. But the answer is yes it would work just having a GoPro hanging off of it , now installing some sort of gimbal would be a whole other issue. But I've flown my P3's without cameras and you still get the advantages over the P2 with the go app and telemetry and the amazing 4S battery. So anybody who is interested in the gimbal , just hanging GoPro off the aircraft should definitely consider a P3 over a P2

But the answer is yes it would work just having a GoPro hanging off of it , now installing some sort of gimbal would be a whole other issue.
You are absolutely right. We really don't know what the OP's intentions were since not much detail was given. I suppose not everyone cares about shooting smooth video with the assistance of a gimbal. I just assumed that's what the OP was going for here.

Reactions: dirtybum
Further, I think in a pinch when you wreck your P3P/A and are waiting to save up for a gimbal(which you can find pretty cheap these days) you could just use the 5.8 video TX and monitor from one of your old P2 setups! And even though on the controller it would be quite a clusterf**k, because you would need your phone or tablet attached to the remote for telemetry and then a separate monitor for the video feed, it's still very doable and possibly still an upgrade from the P2 set up(because of the amazing go app telemetry and capable 4s battery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers