Gopro question

It may be because Youtube didn't think your video was "motion intense" enough to warrant 60 fps. I really don't know for certain.

Because YouTube re-encodes everything.

Captain Obvious said:
PhantomFanatic said:
Monte55 said:
After it's already been posted to youtube?

+1

That wouldn't make any sense, if they did that!

If you are really slow it wouldn't make sense.

Youtube and Vimeo accept your video and then begin to process/render that video into a number of formats to serve up to viewers.

The lowest quality video is available first (that's the fastest to render) and then as their rendering engine chugs along the higher quality videos are available for viewing.

"Posting" it to Youtube is just the first step.

You don't have to be so nasty! For the life of me, I just can't understand why a human being feels the need to hurt someone else. I'm the opposite, I get joy out of being nice to others and helping others.

You are off to a fine start on this forum. I predict that you won't be making friends here.

Watch out for that karma thing captain...

Oh dear. Do we have another Troll. Or just an old one who has returned :roll:

Hughie said:
Oh dear. Do we have another Troll. Or just an old one who has returned :roll:

+1,000

It is kinda "Obvious" :)

I have another question. I understand how to get slow motion in film by shooting at a higher frame rate and play pack at normal speed. BUT...how do you get slow motion with a gopro?I just did a test video of a clock with a second hand ...shot it at
720 x 60 for exactly one minute. Upon playback on my computer the video was 1 minute and sound was normal. So what good was shooting at 60 fps doing for me. I don't see any slo mo effect. What am I missing here.

Monte55 said:
I have another question. I understand how to get slow motion in film by shooting at a higher frame rate and play pack at normal speed. BUT...how do you get slow motion with a gopro?I just did a test video of a clock with a second hand ...shot it at
720 x 60 for exactly one minute. Upon playback on my computer the video was 1 minute and sound was normal. So what good was shooting at 60 fps doing for me. I don't see any slo mo effect. What am I missing here.

You need to change the speed on the clip to make it a slow motion. What you do is that you look on the same frame for a longer period of time, that´s why you want a higher fps for slow motion. If you make a 30fps movie and watch it in normal speed you will see 30 pictures during one second, if you make a 60fps movie and turn down the speed to half, you will still see 30 pictures during one second.

How do change the speed of the clip? If that's all there is to it, any frame rate could be considered slo mo to some degree. If you slow it down the audio will not be correct...right?

Monte55 said:
How do change the speed of the clip? If that's all there is to it, any frame rate could be considered slo mo to some degree. If you slow it down the audio will not be correct...right?

I still just edit in the GoPro Studio software, there's a slider there for playback speed in step 2. When you select a clip, there is a playback speed. I've been making water videos at 1080p @ 120fps videos with my H4Black and slowing them down to like 10% speed, they're awesome

other editing softwares will also have a "playback speed" setting somewhere for the clip

you're correct that slowing the overall speed also affects sound. There's an option in the software to try to correct for that, but I never bother since the only sound in Phantom videos is BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ so I always kill the sound anyway to 0%

QYV said:
There's an option in the software to try to correct for that, but I never bother since the only sound in Phantom videos is BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

:lol:

Monte55 said:
So I can't just take a video at a higher frame rate and expect a slo mo effect without running it through editing software.

... well, certain players like VLC have a "playback speed" option.... e.g. faster, fast, normal, slow, slower in VLC. other players probably have some sort of speed up / slow down but as you can see those are just a few presets if you want full control like for example with GoPro Studio you can set the clip to play back at any increment between 1% and 10,000% speed... so I feel like there's a lot more control in EDITING software as opposed to just a player.... but yea with a good player (I haven't used Windows MEdia Player in years) should be able to do it too

Since I have the white edition, my max frame rate is 60 fps....not a big slo mo. So unless I get a more advanced camera and run my vids through editing software, not worth messing with at this point. I don't have a gimble and I thought this might smooth things out a bit. I see where people seem to have problems with pans being too fast and there are some mods for yaw rate. I have two Phantom 1 and with a very light touch on left stick I don't seem to have that problem.

Monte55 said:
Since I have the white edition, my max frame rate is 60 fps....not a big slo mo. So unless I get a more advanced camera and run my vids through editing software, not worth messing with at this point. I don't have a gimble and I thought this might smooth things out a bit. I see where people seem to have problems with pans being too fast and there are some mods for yaw rate. I have two Phantom 1 and with a very light touch on left stick I don't seem to have that problem.

the human eye tends to see fluid motion around 18fps, and most TV and movies are only 24fps. If you're grabbing 60fps you do have some wiggle room to slow things down and they'll still look fluid and cool...
but when you say "smooth things out a bit" with no gimbal... no amount of FPS is going to fix the shake you get with an unstabilized camera mounted on a Phantom.. that's a completely different issue

Well the higher frame rate could make the ungimbled camera appear to be smoother. I have shot some decent video but the air has to be very calm. One trick is to keep moving. Sitting still in hover with no gimble and wind gusts really are obvious.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav