GoPro Karma Release

I loved that video. He has no respect for the equipment or worry about destroying anything. Note the phantom he knocks off the table and just moves on. Quick edit, "did that just happen" who cares, I have a Karma on my table.

I like the whole idea, especially coming from someone that would like to bring that drone with to more places, but just cannot justify packing the Phantom in the Fearless backpack on a sled, or in my SXS.

Last edited:
I think if you can get the KARMA to go beyond 1000 meters with wifi you will need a pretty good arm to throw it that far.

I loved that video. He has no respect for the equipment or worry about destroying anything. Not the phantom he knocks off the table and just moves on. Quick edit, "did that just happen" who cares, I have a Karma on my table.

I dunno.... 7 drones destroyed (all P4's?) the knock of the good one on the table and acting like a jerk to me just to capture views all over an 'unbiased' first look *cough* saying he's miles away and has 21 minutes flight time left....It's not only about being disrespectful of his stuff that actually earn his money but also perhaps of the audience as well or some of it. And the GoPro dude behind him...

Not a fanboy or anything but I find these 'vlogs' whatever you call them more annoying than informative....But perhaps it's just me...

Here is Casey Neistad doing a test flight with the Karma in NYC on Sep 19th. Hmm...

Product review shot in a no fly zone, nice... Part 107, anyone?

On a day where my DJI Phantom would not even lift off due to a FAA TFR covering all of NYC, including large parts of New Jersey, for the United Nations General Assembly and VIP traffic... So I guess the GoPro software has no such restrictions built in. Very cool drone though, and I love the detachable gimbal concept...

Last edited:
Reactions: kenjancef
I dunno.... 7 drones destroyed (all P4's?) the knock of the good one on the table and acting like a jerk to me just to capture views all over an 'unbiased' first look *cough* saying he's miles away and has 21 minutes flight time left....It's not only about being disrespectful of his stuff that actually earn his money but also perhaps of the audience as well or some of it. And the GoPro dude behind him...

Not a fanboy or anything but I find these 'vlogs' whatever you call them more annoying than informative....But perhaps it's just me...

I found his first look to lack any real information. A few cut away clips, claim of 21 minutes remaining after flying out 1 mile and back, nothing of the different flight modes, gimbal feel (sticks), screen display in sunlight, etc.

I believe it might be possibly to fly a mile on 2.4, I've done it with RC planes, but I don't believe he would have any video feed based on past experience with wifi video.

Also no comment on lag. Haven't seen a comment from any early reviewers on that. Could mean there is none. Could mean they are trying to stay on GoPros good side for future goodies.

I found the review to be mostly useless and his editing very annoying. Really don't care what he breaks though. Wish he would have crash tested the Karma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found his first look to lack any real information. A few cut away clips, claim of 21 minutes remaining after flying out 1 mile and back, nothing of the different flight modes, gimbal feel (sticks), screen display in sunlight, etc.

I believe it might be possibly to fly a mile on 2.4, I've done it with RC planes, but I don't believe he would have any video feed based on past experience with wifi video.

Also no comment on lag. Haven't seen a comment from any early reviewers on that. Could mean there is none. Could mean they are trying to stay on GoPros good side for future goodies.

I found the review to be mostly useless and his editing very annoying. Really don't care what he breaks though. Wish he would have crash tested the Karma.

I was wondering about the lag. A GoPro has some serious lag as-is. I wonder if they fixed that in the 5? Does the Karma do something else like the live feed using USB and then crank up video on the Karma to reduce lag?

I guess until some are in the field, we won't know.

The system approach is nice, certainly going to hit Yuneec more than DJI with the price point and such.

It's gonna be till next March till I add another drone so I'll have time to see how things shake out.

Casey has an enormous following. I hated him at first but he kind of has grown on me.

I like that he treats his stuff rough. It shows the toughness of it.

The Karma is portable, and like anything portable there is compromise. You lose certain things... Range for one. Video quality etc. I think the Phantom makes better videos than GoPro anyway.

Everyone keeps talking about the price of Karma, "wow $800"... But it doesn't come with the camera. Or am I wrong? So now to get a camera of P4 quality costs what? $499? $399? You're at a phantom price point pretty quick, AND it doesn't go as far.

Also, the "leaked" Mavic pics were on purpose. That's DJI's way of saying "don't buy the Karma just yet".

GoPro scrambled to throw Karma together. After DJI drones quit using GoPro's I think Go Pro felt that. They started scrambling to build a drone of their own to keep the GoPro the preferred eye in the sky! They are miles behind DJI. Miles!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I thought the same about the price. Great if you already have a GoPro. Then again, P3S would have the camera included for that price and the same range.

The only thing I see the Karma has going for it are the included backpack, hand held gimbal, and folding design. Not sure if the backpack is really a big deal if you have to buy a camera, puts you at P3A plus a nice backpack. Really, it's the hand held gimbal that will drive it.

I think it's like some others have said, the Karma is more a GoPro accessory than a drone than can stand on its own merits.

I thought the same about the price. Great if you already have a GoPro. Then again, P3S would have the camera included for that price and the same range.

The only thing I see the Karma has going for it are the included backpack, hand held gimbal, and folding design. Not sure if the backpack is really a big deal if you have to buy a camera, puts you at P3A plus a nice backpack. Really, it's the hand held gimbal that will drive it.

I think it's like some others have said, the Karma is more a GoPro accessory than a drone than can stand on its own merits.

Gopro is all about the camera, thats their selling point. Everything else is an accessory to the camera.

I'll be interested to see if a Karma pilot (most will probably be new drone pilots in general) will take the time to learn the "drone" hobby, the you can and you can'ts of the hobby. With a GoPro, you can take that thing anywhere and everywhere...but the Karma (drones in general) have restrictions. Will we see responsible Karma pilots because using a GoPro you don't have to think about any of that.

Here is Casey Neistad doing a test flight with the Karma in NYC on Sep 19th. Hmm...

Product review shot in a no fly zone, nice... Part 107, anyone?

On a day where my DJI Phantom would not even lift off due to a FAA TFR covering all of NYC, including large parts of New Jersey, for the United Nations General Assembly and VIP traffic... So I guess the GoPro software has no such restrictions built in. Very cool drone though, and I love the detachable gimbal concept...

Note that he was not able to take off a couple times at first. It may have been locked down and the GP rep had to unlock it for the tests. Who knows. I would doubt they had built in any no fly zones into their technology yet.

Everyone keeps talking about the price of Karma, "wow $800"... But it doesn't come with the camera. Or am I wrong? So now to get a camera of P4 quality costs what? $499? $399?

The unit works with GP4 and GP5, so a person could use their existing camera. The new GP5 Black has been introduced at a price $100 less than GP 4 Black was released. GP5 Black is $399. That being said, GP is discounting the GP5 Black and GP5 Session another $100 when purchased with the Karma. They are being aggressive.

As said before, this is not going to switch anyone away from their Phantom. I don't think that is their initial push. They want to sell this to all the GP owners that have yet to buy a drone. And those fence sitters who want a handheld gimbal and possibly a drone, this is a no-brainer.

I will wait to see tech specs on this as well, but since the GP is plugged into the Gimbal and then plugged into the Karma, I do doubt it is using WiFi between the cam and the Karma. Probably more like WiFi between Karma and controller only. We will wait and see how that is working.

Note that he was not able to take off a couple times at first. It may have been locked down and the GP rep had to unlock it for the tests. Who knows. I would doubt they had built in any no fly zones into their technology yet.

Lets hope GoPro keeps their Karma pilots up to date with restrictions and such as DJI does with their pilots.

The unit works with GP4 and GP5, so a person could use their existing camera. The new GP5 Black has been introduced at a price $100 less than GP 4 Black was released. GP5 Black is $399. That being said, GP is discounting the GP5 Black and GP5 Session another $100 when purchased with the Karma. They are being aggressive.

As said before, this is not going to switch anyone away from their Phantom. I don't think that is their initial push. They want to sell this to all the GP owners that have yet to buy a drone. And those fence sitters who want a handheld gimbal and possibly a drone, this is a no-brainer.

I will wait to see tech specs on this as well, but since the GP is plugged into the Gimbal and then plugged into the Karma, I do doubt it is using WiFi between the cam and the Karma. Probably more like WiFi between Karma and controller only. We will wait and see how that is working.
I can see many GP users buying the full kit so they can still use their existing GP on the ground.

Isn't GoPro a wifi device? That's got to be a horrible range
The camera won't reach more than 30 feet or so, it is using a stronger system to send images back to the controller.
I'm not clear how exactly the gopro is linked to the drone to do this as yet.
I'd guess when you put the camera in that gimbal cradle you connect to the mini-usb somehow and as the short handle pushes in it somehow connects to the internal circuitry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing