GoPro didn't announce a drone at CES, but...

Reaction score
"Lastly, after the update the cameras will auto-rotate the picture when the camera is mounted upside down. So, no more digging around in the menu to rotate the video or having to correct for it when editing."
(GoPro 4 Silver and Black, even already sold cameras).

All I can say is YESSSS!!! I was wondering if they'd ever do it.

Also worth mentioning:
"A firmware update arriving sometime in the first half of 2015 will add several new features. One of those is a time-lapse video mode that will snap photos continuously and then turn them into a video in camera. The current time-lapse photo mode takes a series of pictures, which you then have to turn into a video with GoPro's desktop software.

Two other new video capture settings will be available, too: 720p resolution at 240 frames per second for HD-quality super-slow-motion video and 2.7K resolution at 60fps, which gives you smoother video for fast-moving scenes at a higher-than-full-HD resolution."

Fyod said:
"Lastly, after the update the cameras will auto-rotate the picture when the camera is mounted upside down. So, no more digging around in the menu to rotate the video or having to correct for it when editing."
(GoPro 4 Silver and Black, even already sold cameras).

All I can say is YESSSS!!! I was wondering if they'd ever do it.

Also worth mentioning:
"A firmware update arriving sometime in the first half of 2015 will add several new features. One of those is a time-lapse video mode that will snap photos continuously and then turn them into a video in camera. The current time-lapse photo mode takes a series of pictures, which you then have to turn into a video with GoPro's desktop software.

Two other new video capture settings will be available, too: 720p resolution at 240 frames per second for HD-quality super-slow-motion video and 2.7K resolution at 60fps, which gives you smoother video for fast-moving scenes at a higher-than-full-HD resolution."

Update, like a firmware update or a 4+ version? Either way I hope they don't muck it up by having the camera image rotate in the middle of recording or ruin the image quality of time lapse. It's not terribly that hard to turn one into a video.

Software update.
Nah, I doubt it would be in-video rotation. That would destroy snowboarding shots and stuff. Probably rotates before record. And I think the time lapse will be a convenient option, not mandatory for all time lapses.

No wonder their stock is dropping 40+% since IPO (not to mention early exercising of stock options by CEO). They have to do a lot more than put together a camera every year or they are a one trick pony.

i'd of thought there spending more time working on this drone instead of camera updates at the minute

Keep your current customers happy before finding new ones. Unlike DJI, they'll launch it when it's ready.

ianwood said:
Unlike DJI, they'll launch it when it's ready.
please tell me your joking, have a look on a GoPro forum after a new product launch & see how many glitches get posted up

p fandango said:
ianwood said:
Unlike DJI, they'll launch it when it's ready.
please tell me your joking, have a look on a GoPro forum after a new product launch & see how many glitches get posted up

Meh, people love to complain. I've been using lots of GoPros since their first crappy SD cameras came out (https://vimeo.com/2683474). Only issues were usability. And these past few months, I've been on a handful of productions in my spare time and they all had H4Bs mounted on every surface possible. No issues there. The H4B is simply awesome. It stopped me from blowing close to $10k on an S900 / Panasonic GH4.

DJI, on the other hand; their launch products have colossal issues (failing batteries, bad solders, buggy firmware, etc.). Mostly because they have almost no QA and tend to release stuff while they're still working out major issues. The Phantom is only now working like it should have on day 1 and I'm still not convinced they've worked out the remaining gimbal bugs.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor