Goodbye Phantom !

Well i hate to say it but i just joined you guys. P2 went haywire and crashed in the forest behind my house. luckily i printed some flyers and someone found it and returned it today. i have been flying a lot and this and my futaba 8 and this is the first problem i have had with it. i just had it out 3.58 miles 2 days ago no problems at all. was flying and all was well, coming home to me,then all of a sudden it took of at a high rate of speed and i had no control. then about 150' in the air i lost video. seems like it just turned off. i had 78% battery left last i looked. now it is pretty bad shape. gimbal is destroyed motors are not smooth shell is cracked. this sucks

im seriously getting spooked with all the fly away threads. not so uncommon anymore.
And that video footage of the failed test.... WOW

hjscm said:
Well i hate to say it but i just joined you guys. P2 went haywire and crashed in the forest behind my house. luckily i printed some flyers and someone found it and returned it today. i have been flying a lot and this and my futaba 8 and this is the first problem i have had with it. i just had it out 3.58 miles 2 days ago no problems at all. was flying and all was well, coming home to me,then all of a sudden it took of at a high rate of speed and i had no control. then about 150' in the air i lost video. seems like it just turned off. i had 78% battery left last i looked. now it is pretty bad shape. gimbal is destroyed motors are not smooth shell is cracked. this sucks

Is that the kit from DSLR PROS? **** 3.5 miles is quite a long ways, and here i was thinking that maybe upgrading the stock TX would remedy fly aways since it would be a much better signal. I was a bit weary that the stock tx doesnt cut it and that upgrading to the futaba tx like the one from DSLR PROS would be much better, not knowing the cost and installtion process though :roll:

I wish we could find out the manufacture date on these units....might be a bad run of printed circuit boards or something like that .....there has to be some commonality, I would think .

it was not dslpros rig. i was flying with windsurfer mod on my tx when i flew out that far. not when it crashed. that mod works wonders on all my other quads too

This is why I have the bottom position of the right hand switch on my Phantom set to manual.

I don't claim to be a great pilot that can do stunts or fly through hoops, but I do try to get some practice in Manual every time I fly.

So far, both unpiloted experiences I have had were with my wife's FC40; once was the classic tilt and boogie, and the other was a flip and power auger maneuver from around 25 feet up.

Neither would have left enough time for recovery by switching to manual, and both were within 30 feet of launch location.

But, autonomous flight is owned by the NAZA, and Manual tells the NAZA to keep breathing, but take a time out.

At least it can be used to make a somewhat controlled crash landing, which is far more rewarding than never seeing it again and being told it was your fault.

If, as the DJI tech confirmed, the Phantom is taken over by a rogue signal and not taking any input from your controller, what good would it do to switch to manual? According to him, and what I experienced, you cannot give it any commands and I would think this would include switching to manual mode IMHO.

I've had the same problem, v1.1.1.
Found it 3days later.
DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS TOY TO ANYONE, UNLESS YOU HATE THEM!
DJI, I do not recommend this to my friends and casual acquaintances.
It's great when it works, but the shits when it fucks off with your gopro and your bird.

Hawkeye 1 said:
If, as the DJI tech confirmed, the Phantom is taken over by a rogue signal and not taking any input from your controller, what good would it do to switch to manual? According to him, and what I experienced, you cannot give it any commands and I would think this would include switching to manual mode IMHO.

If you look at the FCC ID of your transmitter, go to the FCC site and do an ID Search, the available docoments will allow you to confirm that the protocol used by the transmitter and accepted by the receiver to control the craft is the same as used by cell phones. Unless I read incorrectly, it is GMSK.

How many different cell phone conversations can you have simultaneously before one is a rogue signal and disconnects another? The protocol was developed for spectral effiency; it makes the possibility of rogue signals very remote.

Disregarding that, Receiver Advanced Protection ( if enabled in the NAZA assistant) invokes fail safe if the NAZA senses the receiver is not receiving commands from the transmitter.

I don't claim that Manual mode is 100% effective, or even 25% effective. It is, however, a fighting chance, as opposed to watching your craft being flown autonomously and leaving you with a really empty feeling.

My reference to GMSK wasn't very clear. In any given area, there can be hundreds of simultaneous cellphone conversations without one conversation disconnection another. The concept of a rogue signal, although theoretically possible, is highly improbable.

http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/r ... torial.php

However, a more powerful signal can desense the receiver and mask the legitimate one. Perhaps that is what the DJI Tech was referring to, and is probably the reasoning behind the introduction of Receiver Advance Protection in the NAZA assistant.

My reference to using Manual wasn't meant to be taken as derogatory, and I apologize if it appeared that way.

Hawkeye 1 said:

In my (noob) opinion, the best benefit of manual mode for fly away protection is that it takes the GPS out of the loop. I'm assuming that some of the fly aways are that the Phantom GPS suddenly thought it was somewhere else and so was boogeying as fast as it could to get back to where it thinks it needs to be. If you flip it to manual, it's no longer trying to reach a specific GPS point and is only flying to RC commands.

This assumes of course that it's not a more powerful RC command that is the reason for the fly away.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

EskimoPie said:
Hawkeye 1 said:

In my (noob) opinion, the best benefit of manual mode for fly away protection is that it takes the GPS out of the loop. I'm assuming that some of the fly aways are that the Phantom GPS suddenly thought it was somewhere else and so was boogeying as fast as it could to get back to where it thinks it needs to be. If you flip it to manual, it's no longer trying to reach a specific GPS point and is only flying to RC commands.

This assumes of course that it's not a more powerful RC command that is the reason for the fly away.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

That is the prevailing thought on putting Manual in your toolbox.

The NAZA has certain flight routines that it can exercise, in response to data it receives. If the GPS loses lockup and has to reacquire satellites, each new one azcquired would decrease margin of error. However, if the NAZA tried to correct for the first fix ( greatest margin of error) it may do everything within the ability of the craft to get to a location it thinks it should be.

If that is a possibility of a flyaway, it wasn't a matter of loosing a radio signal, it was the FC executing its programming. Another if would be the addition of error trapping routines in firmware to reject a very coarse difference in location data given from one timer tic to another. If the NAZA sees a multiple of the same data, it can proceed. I don't know how often the NAZA reads data, but do know the Flytrex Core logs GPS data 4 times a second. The GPS module is capable of time to first fix (TTFF) of 1 second.

There are still too many unknowns, but both receiver advance protection and turning off the transmitter trigger failsafe. Dedicating the bottom right hand switch to fail safe just triplicates the ways of achieving the same goal. Manual introduces another option.

well i can also tell you that manual mode did not work for me. my 3 position switch has manual mode. i fly one of my tbs discoveries in manual mode to try and fly far because it is more efficient, and i can fly out and back faster. i tried to switch to manual and no workie still fell like a brick

With so many pilots on this forum, we could do major research for logging and finding the reason(s) for flyaways.
Find the pilots who have flown hundreds of flights successfully without flyaways and find out what they do differently to prevent fly aways.

Decide on data input to consider for logging flyaways (for example):
1) Phantom model (1.1.1, 1.5, vision, vision +), firmware update, NAZA...
2) Magnetic declination. Do the flyaways occur more frequently with higher magnetic declination.
3) K-Index. What was the K-Index at the time of fly away.
4) Add-ons: Flytrex (receiver so probably not a cause), FPV (which config),
5) Miscellaneous: Location, Time zone, time of day, longitude / latitude, which phantom.
6) What command was pilot giving when bird stopped responding to commands?
I've noticed that many flyaways occur when the pilot changes the bird's direction (turn bird around to return home).
7) Maintenance schedule: last maintenance performed. Pull_up has an excellent maintenance checklist at:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5148

FLGulf said:
With so many pilots on this forum, we could do major research for logging and finding the reason(s) for flyaways.
Find the pilots who have flown hundreds of flights successfully without flyaways and find out what they do differently to prevent fly aways.

Decide on data input to consider for logging flyaways (for example):
1) Phantom model (1.1.1, 1.5, vision, vision +), firmware update, NAZA...
2) Magnetic declination. Do the flyaways occur more frequently with higher magnetic declination.
3) K-Index. What was the K-Index at the time of fly away.
4) Add-ons: Flytrex (receiver so probably not a cause), FPV (which config),
5) Miscellaneous: Location, Time zone, time of day, longitude / latitude, which phantom.
6) What command was pilot giving when bird stopped responding to commands?
I've noticed that many flyaways occur when the pilot changes the bird's direction (turn bird around to return home).
7) Maintenance schedule: last maintenance performed. Pull_up has an excellent maintenance checklist at:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5148

Ill start it.
Phantom v.1.1.1 purchased march 2014
9in 9443 phantom vision prop with extended skid
Latest firmware and imu calibrations/maintanance completed prior to flight with all parameters/value in recomended settings.
Boscam 5.8ghz 200mw tx & receiver powered seperatly with gopro 3 black
GLB Gimbal also powered seperatly
Time of crash, public park/lake with no where near a commercial buildings, cell towers or high voltage lines.
Im new so I dont know how to check for K index or magnet declinations.
However I did take off from a concrete slab but all lights were a go also during pre-hover or warm up.

Should we create a separate thread?

a public google doc spreadsheet or something might be better than just posting all dhat data in a thread, especially if you're trying to analyze it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik