Good DJI service - P3 24-hour chat support (Gimbal hardware issue)

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to write a quick report on a positive experience with DJI 24-hour tech support today. I've been around this forum for over a year, owned several Phantom 2 Vision+ units and had my share of frustrations and delays when dealing with my local DJI resellers when it comes to technical support.

I decided to get a DJI Phantom 3 Professional because it was the best fit for my requirements, and I decided to order from DJI directly to bypass my local resellers. But was vary of potential support problems, and I had been disappointed with service before.

With the release of the Phantom 3, DJI implemented a 24-hour tech web chat support, and today I used it for my first time.

The short version
Long story short the DJI support person "Phantom_William" guided me through a process and what eventually fixed it for me was unplugging and reconnecting one of the cable from the sonar/VPS (the module in the rear) to the gimbal. This saved me a lot of hassle in experimenting with my own fix and I simply did not have time to send the unit for repair as I have an upcoming overseas holiday in a number of days.

The long version (with photos and the full chat log)
I decided to take a break in the late afternoon, so I walked out of the office to a park near by. I set up my P3P, went through the checklist and to my dismay I noticed that the gimbal remained limp despite the aircraft powered up. The DJI app reported a "Gimbal Gyroscope error. Hardware malfunction...".

Service-photos-1.jpg

The unit worked the day before without problem, and never experienced this problem so on the iPad I decided to log on and give DJI's tech support a go. I was not expecting much help to be honest. DJI is based in mainland China and when communicating through a language barrier, it can make communications hard.

It took around 5 minutes to create a chat session and get a live person. I was now chatting with "Phantom_William".

I explained my issue (e.g. unpowered gimbal) and he gave some suggestions. Here they were:

We tried re-calibrating the IMU and gimbal IMU...

Service-photos-2.jpg

IMU calibration complete. Gyro are now mod 0, Accelerometers now mod 1.00. Good, but this didn't affect the gimbal, it stayed limp.
Service-photos-6.jpg

My Phantom 3 Pro's gimbal powered up, with a limp gimbal.

Service-photos-3.jpg

"Phantom_William" then asked me to check the gimbal cables, and try to disconnect and reconnect them. I powered down the unit.

The side cable to the gimbal seemed fine, I disconnected this fairly easily and reconnected it. Made no difference. Gimbal still limp.

Service-photos-4.jpg

Shot of the front of the unit, to illustrate that the unit had no damage what so ever.

Service-photos-5.jpg

The DJI tech support "Phantom_William" then asked me to check the rear cable as well.This required me to disconnect one of the gimbal mounts. The rear cable looked fine and seated correctly.

Service-photos-7.jpg

"Phantom_William" asked me to reconnect the rear cable. I told him that this was tricky as it is located just in front of the sonar/VPS box and I was outdoors without my usual tools.

I thought about it and used my work ID plastic card to carefully lever the rear cable out from the gimbal. I then reconnected it by hand.

Upon powering up the unit, I saw that the gimbal sprung back to life! The DJI app reported all systems normal.

Service-photos-8.jpg

I was SO relieved and thanked him. I'm heading overseas in 10 days and really wanted to bring the Phantom 3 Pro with me. Sending it back to DJI for repair was not a good option.

Anyway, that's my little report. The Tech web chat support definitely was useful for me today. According to my log, I initiated the web chat at 16:00, and had a resolution by 16:31, so that's 31 minutes. Not too bad, the tech support person was very polite and patient.

The full chat log, which I recorded. Amazing support, definitely gave me a lot more confidence in the product and company.

Chat%20log.png

As to why I needed to reseat the gimbal cable, I have no idea.

Maybe it was a loose connection? The unit has had 1.5 hours of flying since I received it last week.

Anyway, I've bagged DJI in the past for shoddy support, well today was refreshing.

I assume DJI employs support personnel who can speak English.

From the chat log, you'll see from how he writes that English is not his first language. But it was sufficiently good in my case.

Awesome fix! I got this error once before also but went away when I powered down and re-powered up the P3. I will try this fix if it happens again.

I have also worked with william. He did a great job in helping me. Gave me a personal email address to send pictures in for a feature request on the pilot app.

I just crashed my phantom 3 pro and the gimbal broke. The ribbon that connects the camera to the gimbal was intact though. I got the same gyroscope error as u did.
May I ask if you still got your live feed from the camera despite the gimbal gyroscopic error.?

Right now I don't see any live image when starting up and I wonder if it's the camera or if it's because of the gimbal problem that prevents the camera from initialising.

I just crashed my phantom 3 pro and the gimbal broke. The ribbon that connects the camera to the gimbal was intact though. I got the same gyroscope error as u did.
May I ask if you still got your live feed from the camera despite the gimbal gyroscopic error.?

Right now I don't see any live image when starting up and I wonder if it's the camera or if it's because of the gimbal problem that prevents the camera from initialising.
Were you able to fix yours ? My P3 is doing the same with no live image and loss of control of the camera

Were you able to fix yours ? My P3 is doing the same with no live image and loss of control of the camera
I sent the old gimbal camera unit to dji for repairs. Am awaiting a quotation from them since early August. Anyway, I immediately bought a replacement 4K camera and gimbal for sgd$700+++. So within 3 days I spent $3000+ of smy Singapore dollars on my p3pro

I have the same problem, I don't have the camera controlls and the gimbal is not mooving at all, no gimbal dance on startup, but I have live video feed, I awso have the gyro error, tried to unplug all cables, tried all calibrations (IMU, Gimbal, Compass) and still nothing, pls help me :(

Man I was excited to read this fix. Got the AC out and tried it, powered it up, and no such luck. Thanks for the info though. Think it might be the after market ribbon cable. DJI on the way.

How many people still have their P3 drone, I have probably 100 + Phantom 3 drones as parts, I repair mostly for local customers, and some mailed in from up the east coast. Orlando Drone repair.com

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers