Good deal on the best consumer 500 GB SSD

You bought too soon. If you are going to buy an SSD WAIT! Give it a few months and they are going to blow your mind! 2 TB capacities, and sub $200 price tags.

You bought too soon. If you are going to buy an SSD WAIT! Give it a few months and they are going to blow your mind! 2 TB capacities, and sub $200 price tags.
It is always "too soon" to buy storage technology if you are waiting on the cheapest price. That said I'm holding off on buying a larger SSD to replace my 250GB SSD but if I was still running a HDD, I would buy something to replace it today.

It is always "too soon" to buy storage technology if you are waiting on the cheapest price. That said I'm holding off on buying a larger SSD to replace my 250GB SSD but if I was still running a HDD, I would buy something to replace it today.

I would normally agree, but the new tech on its way to the market is like what happened when CDs first hit. HUGE increases in storage and performance at a fraction of the price. Its not like waiting for a 4 TB to go on sale. Its like waiting for that Ferrari to to show up. Some are talking like it could put platter type drive out of the market completely.

I get one of those too! Can't wait around forever, plus I built a new rig at the beginning of the year. Any links on the new tech?

I would normally agree, but the new tech on its way to the market is like what happened when CDs first hit. HUGE increases in storage and performance at a fraction of the price. Its not like waiting for a 4 TB to go on sale. Its like waiting for that Ferrari to to show up. Some are talking like it could put platter type drive out of the market completely.

I've been hearing the same mutterings for the last couple of months now. I have SSD's in all of my computers with HDD's as secondary and tertiary drives. There will very soon be a day where USB 3.0 is saturated by the newer SSD's due to come out.

Sometimes, I often think my first computer had a tape drive for memory storage and I wrote in multiples of 10. My first desktop had 4mb of memory and a 70MB HDD although, I wanted one way before that was common place. Just couldn't afford one!

These newer drives are going to be awesome. NO WAY I'd buy any storage solution at this time. Wait four months and you can buy the most expensive HDD's for next to nothing.

Amazon has been selling the same drive almost $20 cheaper for more than a week. I've been monitoring Samsung 500 ssd...

I have no idea what Steve Moore is talking about as I haven't really been following tech rumors/trends... How soon are we talking here? Are we really going to see deeper drops here, or are we just going to see more cutting-edge expensive options?

Amazon has been selling the same drive almost $20 cheaper for more than a week. I've been monitoring Samsung 500 ssd...

I have no idea what Steve Moore is talking about as I haven't really been following tech rumors/trends... How soon are we talking here? Are we really going to see deeper drops here, or are we just going to see more cutting-edge expensive options?

Both. Today's more cutting edge SSD's will be outclassed in the next four months and be dirt cheap. The most cutting edge SSD's in four months will be at least twice the capacity and 25% lower in price than the most cutting edge items of today according to my "insiders".

I'm not in the business any longer, but I spent a few years writing tech articles for various webpages. I go by the 90% rule. 90% of what I hear from the majority of so called experts is ******** or pure conjecture. Educated guesses. But I've heard from two guys in the HDD/SSD business who have told me to see what happens in early 4th quarter releases. So I put the time frame conservatively at four months from now.

I am running the 500. Did not even know they had a terabyte out.

I would like one but dont like the price. 500 for my main OS and then 2 TB traditional drives are doing it for now.

I am running the 500. Did not even know they had a terabyte out.

I would like one but dont like the price. 500 for my main OS and then 2 TB traditional drives are doing it for now.

You should see what I have in my laptop! A Corsair Force 3 LS 256GB SSD! It's slow as cold snot, but much faster than the HDD that came in it.

My desktop is much better, two 256GB Samsung 840 Pro's in RAID 0 with four WD Black 2GB's in RAID 6 secondary while using four Seagate 2TB drives in a Netgear ReadyNAS 314. Only a 2.0 USB connection but my primary desktop runs my home server software and pulls all backups from the other devices on my network during off hours.

I have a LOT of pictures and videos I don't want to lose spanning the last 15 years. I occasionally do a BR-D set backup of my stuff. Amazing how expensive those disks remain today compared to when they first came out.

Last edited:
Just wanted to put this out there. When other SSD manufacturers catch up to Samsung in the next four months or so, you'll see 512GB SSD's in the $150 or less range from what I'm hearing. And those would be the high performance ones!

Samsung just released a 2TB SSD.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers