Enough with the complaints

Ozzyguy said:
I think DJI themselves believe %100 of crashes are user error

The truth is there is a certain amount of failure expected in manufacturing, and even acceptable. Nothing is perfect...nothing.
I doubt they (manufactures) would deny a known flaw if pressed hard enough on the issue (like proof positive), but I do know for a fact that they instruct their employees to avoid discussing it at all costs.

The way it usually happens is you call, tell the customer service rep your problem, they look it up on the company database, and read back a script that instructs you to send the unit back for repairs. The customer service rep is aware there is a flaw, but they'll dance til dawn before they tell you.

Edit:
And to further beat this dead horse the first Xbox 360s had a flaw that caused the mainboard to warp and micro fractures to form along the solder. I believe the failure rate was about 10% which is really high. They got called before congress and were told to lower that to 6%. Microsoft complied by releasing a new Xbox 360 with a lower failure rate. And remember that a company is only required to warranty for 90 days (here in the US). The limit on maintaining parts I believe is 7 years.

Ozzyguy said:

I think it's more like 50%. DJI is pretty lenient when warranty issues arise. They don't take everything back, but they do take back alot of "pilot error" issues and warranty them. That's a two-fold story - 1 to keep customer happy, 2nd to apease dealers since dealers are front line to customers. (Were you aware - to be a registered DJI dealer besides the exclusivity, no discount clauses your opening order MUST be $50K)

EMCSQUAR said:
Ozzyguy said:

I think it's more like 50%. DJI is pretty lenient when warranty issues arise. They don't take everything back, but they do take back alot of "pilot error" issues and warranty them. That's a two-fold story - 1 to keep customer happy, 2nd to apease dealers since dealers are front line to customers. (Were you aware - to be a registered DJI dealer besides the exclusivity, no discount clauses your opening order MUST be $50K)

We should have a thread with information on dealer contacts and dealing with CSRs within DJI. While it's true that it's mostly just common sense, I've read a few correspondents posted on here and to call them ineffective is an understatement. It's mostly just nerd rage...

Just in general to be nice, no one wants to help an asshat, and be mindful that in the case of the CSR they are often judged by their call volume...getting right to the point is you best plan of attack. Even if the CSR says no, call back and speak to someone else, they might say yes, and you'd be shocked at the number of times the CSR doesn't log the call (it takes time). Things like that.

I ran the 800 support line for Thompson Consumer Electronics for a number of years, and would be happy to contribute, but know very little about the dealer side.

I am sure all the above is true EXCEPT that the app after .38 (on Android) is too buggy to use and disconnects the live view. They know this and say they are working on a fix. Until then roll back to an earlier app version and should be good.

pylon said:
inb4 Cool story bro
inb4 TLDR
inb4 Wall of text

I have been browsing this forum for a couple months now, and some of he complaints are absolutely ludicrous. DJI is in a damned if they do, and damned if they don't position.

Some of the common complaints with a solid dose of hyperbole for effect:

"OMG there is prop interference with my Camera!"

"DJI is the suxxorz, my Vision + won't hold GPS position on hover within a 2mm margin of error!"

"The big stupid heads at DJI keep releasing better products making my 1337 Vision obsolete!"

And in another thread the same blowhard will post:

"The big stupid heads at teh DJI keep won't release the next 10D gimbal with fully sentient AI flight controller until next week! I dun sue DJI!1!!1!!!!"

"DJI, Y U NO PUT LEICA 4K CAMERA WITH HAND GROUND DILITHIUM LENS ON COPTER AND PRICE PACKAGE AT $199?"

"My Vision crashed into a building, fell 300 feet into the street, got run over by a Unimog, and attacked by a bear, and now my gimbal is bent! What a piece of fragile junk! DJI owes me threeve thousand dollars and unlimited Phantoms 4EVER! Hey anyone have their number to call them? I threw away the owners manual the second I took it out of the box."

"DJI is teh Hitler, and violating the constitution with restricted flight zones. It's my god given constitutional right to do high altitude flybys of the only Antonov 225 in existence while it is visiting my local airport delivering refuelling rods for local reactor. I bet DJI supports gun control too. Thanks Obama!"

About two weeks ago, I was over at my 73 year old dads house, and showed him my vision+, he is a retired yet highly respected electrical engineer, one of the best in his field on the face of this planet. I flew it around, and uploaded the video to my Mac to show him how it looks. He was absolutely dumfounded. "How much was that thing $10,000?" When I told him it was $1500 bucks he thought I was pulling his leg. Even though there have been initial growing pains with the product, you have access to a device that 10 years ago, could have been sold to a military agency for $100k+ per copy. It is a new era in technology where you are able to pull this device right out of the box, and have it airborne in minutes, delivering rock steady video clarity which was unheard of 15 years ago. I for one wan't DJI to keep pushing the limits, and keep releasing new product on a steep initial development cycle. Like the iPhone it will eventually plateau and level out, but in the mean time, you are purchasing an absolute, 100%, bonafide luxury item. Your rights as a consumer are not being violated by the rapidly changing product upgrades. That's the name of the game in high tech anything now. Deal with it. If you want to play with the big boy toys, be prepared to have the budget to do so.

I am also convinced that 95% of the crashes are due to pilot error. I am on my fourth Phantom (Phantom 1, FC40, Vision, Vision+) and every time I receive my new machine, I read the manual for new features/updates, calibrate the compass, run it up without the props to ensure the motors are all in sync, and inspect and balance my props. Not until then do I take it to an open field, and do a low altitude, battery draining, tethered test flight to ensure I have a reliable craft. The majority of these catastrophic failures seem to be newb pilots, the are crashing in their initial flights. How many have been properly calibrated? How many have actually thoroughly read the manual? How many are actually standing directly behind the craft to get proper spacial control orientation when they take off, to avoid the craft darting left or right instead of forward when they push the right stick forward? Out of all those machines, I have had one crash, and it was because I took off standing to the side, lost spacial orientation, and crashed it into my house. 100% pilot error. It cost me 2 props, and 1 landing skid.

We are incredibly lucky to have such an amazing device. But for god sakes, be patient, go through the proper steps, and quit the bloody whining if things don't go exactly as planned. We are in the figurative 'Beta' stage of these things, and that is the risk you take to be an early adopter.

/rant

If people posting about their legitimate issues with the Phantom (any flavor) bothers you, you are best advised to not read any forums that the Phantom is the subject of. :lol:

CarlJ said:
They're just focusing on one aspect of the platform and ignoring how powerful the complete package really is, but I have to admit the fragile nature of the gimbal has my credit card grounded.

Edit:

And if you don't like to read, what the hell are you doing on a forum?

Bravo! My sentiments exactly... I'll remind him of his thread when HE'S lost $3,00 worth of DJI equipment.
I have been flying R/C aircraft, boats etc on & off for 30yrs. Had several crashes ALL my fault, 100%. But 1 downed P2V+ on it's 4th flight & the replacement dead in the box when it arrived on my door step, pardon me if I seem somewhat miffed...

As happened with computers, the day will come (months? years?) when the gimbal and camera replacement cost only a few bucks.

We'll carry a few spares to get back recording after a crash.

The Chinese are expert at creating cheap knock-offs of U.S. products. I wonder how fast they'll move on their fellow Chinese (DJI)?

pylon said:
inb4 Cool story bro
inb4 TLDR
inb4 Wall of text

I have been browsing this forum for a couple months now, and some of he complaints are absolutely ludicrous. DJI is in a damned if they do, and damned if they don't position.

Some of the common complaints with a solid dose of hyperbole for effect:

"OMG there is prop interference with my Camera!"

"DJI is the suxxorz, my Vision + won't hold GPS position on hover within a 2mm margin of error!"

"The big stupid heads at DJI keep releasing better products making my 1337 Vision obsolete!"

And in another thread the same blowhard will post:

"The big stupid heads at teh DJI keep won't release the next 10D gimbal with fully sentient AI flight controller until next week! I dun sue DJI!1!!1!!!!"

"DJI, Y U NO PUT LEICA 4K CAMERA WITH HAND GROUND DILITHIUM LENS ON COPTER AND PRICE PACKAGE AT $199?"

"My Vision crashed into a building, fell 300 feet into the street, got run over by a Unimog, and attacked by a bear, and now my gimbal is bent! What a piece of fragile junk! DJI owes me threeve thousand dollars and unlimited Phantoms 4EVER! Hey anyone have their number to call them? I threw away the owners manual the second I took it out of the box."

"DJI is teh Hitler, and violating the constitution with restricted flight zones. It's my god given constitutional right to do high altitude flybys of the only Antonov 225 in existence while it is visiting my local airport delivering refuelling rods for local reactor. I bet DJI supports gun control too. Thanks Obama!"

About two weeks ago, I was over at my 73 year old dads house, and showed him my vision+, he is a retired yet highly respected electrical engineer, one of the best in his field on the face of this planet. I flew it around, and uploaded the video to my Mac to show him how it looks. He was absolutely dumfounded. "How much was that thing $10,000?" When I told him it was $1500 bucks he thought I was pulling his leg. Even though there have been initial growing pains with the product, you have access to a device that 10 years ago, could have been sold to a military agency for $100k+ per copy. It is a new era in technology where you are able to pull this device right out of the box, and have it airborne in minutes, delivering rock steady video clarity which was unheard of 15 years ago. I for one wan't DJI to keep pushing the limits, and keep releasing new product on a steep initial development cycle. Like the iPhone it will eventually plateau and level out, but in the mean time, you are purchasing an absolute, 100%, bonafide luxury item. Your rights as a consumer are not being violated by the rapidly changing product upgrades. That's the name of the game in high tech anything now. Deal with it. If you want to play with the big boy toys, be prepared to have the budget to do so.

I am also convinced that 95% of the crashes are due to pilot error. I am on my fourth Phantom (Phantom 1, FC40, Vision, Vision+) and every time I receive my new machine, I read the manual for new features/updates, calibrate the compass, run it up without the props to ensure the motors are all in sync, and inspect and balance my props. Not until then do I take it to an open field, and do a low altitude, battery draining, tethered test flight to ensure I have a reliable craft. The majority of these catastrophic failures seem to be newb pilots, the are crashing in their initial flights. How many have been properly calibrated? How many have actually thoroughly read the manual? How many are actually standing directly behind the craft to get proper spacial control orientation when they take off, to avoid the craft darting left or right instead of forward when they push the right stick forward? Out of all those machines, I have had one crash, and it was because I took off standing to the side, lost spacial orientation, and crashed it into my house. 100% pilot error. It cost me 2 props, and 1 landing skid.

We are incredibly lucky to have such an amazing device. But for god sakes, be patient, go through the proper steps, and quit the bloody whining if things don't go exactly as planned. We are in the figurative 'Beta' stage of these things, and that is the risk you take to be an early adopter.

/rant

Some of us are getting sick of people like you bashing the newbies or noobs or whatever the hell they call them. You're so quick to blame pilot error, perhaps if you had had 2 of them fall out of the sky on you for no apparent reason, your opinion might change.
I have been into r/c for a long, long time and have only recently (14mths ago) began flying non-fixed wing models. Started with a P2 and have crashed it a few times and all but one of those crashes were my fault entirely, pushing the limits. I have had 2 P2V+'s in a month, one fell out of the sky on just it's 4th flight and yesterday had all kinds of dramas with the replacement one and it is fortunate to be still in one piece. It is now grounded indefinitely until someone can figure out what the issue is.

If you're tired of all the complaints, don't read them. Find a forum pertaining to plants or DIY home improvements or something

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj