Gonna shoot a 360° of the eclipse...

Reaction score
since I live in Nebraska and not that far from the 100% path of totality – I thought I’d try and find a scenic area to shoot a pano from (if it’s not cloudy).

i’m thinking of just using the UV filter as opposed to a #4 NDF. i own Litchi (never used it) and Hangar. Hangar is great for a one-button solution that i don’t have to stitch but the end results are so low quality that i figure i’ll have to stitch any way.

what about Litchi’s offering? is it any good? is it also set to 300’?

do you think the pano will even look cool? even at 100% - there’s still a weird ambient light (from my terrible memory of the last major eclipse i experienced). i dunno - thoughts?

You may be pushed to get anything at all with the drone because of the sun angle. If I read the co-ordinates correctly, over Nebraska the Sun will be at approximately 60 degrees above the horizon. You cant get the gimbal up that far to observe it. Don't feel bad though if that is correct, it will be at almost 90 degrees at my viewing point. I would concentrate on getting ground shadows. Those would be nice effects.

Reactions: jryser
do you think the pano will even look cool? even at 100% - there’s still a weird ambient light (from my terrible memory of the last major eclipse i experienced). i dunno - thoughts?
I think the light changes will be very cool. In Nebraska, you will have a wonderful show. I'd love to see drone video of day turning into night and then back, but you may not have enough battery time. It will also be rather dark during totality so conditions will be changing big time. I posted a simulation below.

I also don't think the drone would give you anything great with regards to a direct view of the eclipse. Same as when people try to get drone pictures of the moon. It becomes just a small bright spot in the picture. You may want to think about just enjoying the awesome experience without worrying about flying.

Eclipse Megamovie

Last edited:
Reactions: Meta4 and N017RW
Just for the heck of it, took this today to test my DSLR filter I made. I am going to try and fly for the shadows and multitask with my P3A and the DSLR at the same time
IMG_0006.JPG
....Might be a trying adventure.....

Reactions: NRJ and Nesher
I'd have to agree, the sun angle may limit your visibility of the eclipse itself from your Phantom. I may try with my Inspire since I can look well above the horizon with it but I'm thinking it may be a no-go too.

OK – I should clarify. I wasn’t looking to capture the actual eclipse as in the sun itself. Was just looking to go up three or 400 feet and take a 360 virtual tour of the effects of the eclipse on the land around me. As far as the eye can see.

Didn’t know if that would look cool or not. It’s not like it’s going to be total pitch black darkness outside.

now i’m worried that apps like Hangar will try to brighten the scene automatically :(

anyone know of a better alternative?

Just for the heck of it, took this today to test my DSLR filter I made. I am going to try and fly for the shadows and multitask with my P3A and the DSLR at the same timeView attachment 86775 ....Might be a trying adventure.....
Curious what lens you are using? I am experimenting right now with taking the pictures either with my canon or with telescope.

Curious what lens you are using? I am experimenting right now with taking the pictures either with my canon or with telescope.
75-300mm lens. I used a 58mm to 62mm adapter ring and cut a black polymer solar filter sheet to fit, then placed a 62mm to 67mm adapter over that to "sandwich" the filter in place.

since I live in Nebraska and not that far from the 100% path of totality – I thought I’d try and find a scenic area to shoot a pano from (if it’s not cloudy).

i’m thinking of just using the UV filter as opposed to a #4 NDF. i own Litchi (never used it) and Hangar. Hangar is great for a one-button solution that i don’t have to stitch but the end results are so low quality that i figure i’ll have to stitch any way.

Litchi should work. You can set the altitude wherever you want it. Just be sure and do a few test panos before the big day to make sure you're very familiar with how it works. You can always tweak the lighting in post if you need to.

75-300mm lens. I used a 58mm to 62mm adapter ring and cut a black polymer solar filter sheet to fit, then placed a 62mm to 67mm adapter over that to "sandwich" the filter in place.
Ok, similar to what I am going to use. I have a 55-250mm and I am going to use a 2x teleconverter with it. ( should be here today) I created a solar filter using a 58 mm up lens, took the glass out and cut the solar film to fit and put the locking ring back in, works great. I also have a celestron 8se but even with a focal reducer it is still very close, sun almost fills entire frame.
Thanks

Ok, similar to what I am going to use. I have a 55-250mm and I am going to use a 2x teleconverter with it. ( should be here today) I created a solar filter using a 58 mm up lens, took the glass out and cut the solar film to fit and put the locking ring back in, works great. I also have a celestron 8se but even with a focal reducer it is still very close, sun almost fills entire frame.
Thanks
UV lens, not up lens!

I've been reading online that even your camera requires special filters to be able to view the eclipse directly. If you don't have the proper filters, you may damage your camera. Also, most drones can't get high enough to view it directly either. The shadows moving across the earth is about all we may be able to get which may be cool too. Good luck to you.

I am planning on setting up several cameras to film the eclipse and the ground. Including my Raptor in which I can elevate the camera above the horizon.

I have been researching for several weeks about the Sun and effects on cameras. I have seen various answers and all conflicting, Ughhh

But, here is what I think is certain. Using a SLR film camera, you need to be careful. Don't look in the viewfinder. Also the heat from the sun magnified will hurt your camera Especially if you use a telephoto lens.

Digital camera are different obviously. And if anyone knows definitively I would love to hear.

I took a decent digital camera and took several pictures in the back yard. Then took a picture of the sun and more of the back yard. All the pictures were fine and the camera works fine.
So a one time picture did not hurt the digital sensor.

Apple has advised that it is safe to use an Iphone camera to take pictures. No harm to phone. And of course the screen is not a direct link to the sun. So your eyes are safe.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Have fun
Bill

You never know until you try. It will be a few years before you get another chance. Can not wait to see what turns up with the pics and videos. I shall at work in an area surrounded by airports. Or else I would go with an action camera facing up, secured between the arms.

I've been reading online that even your camera requires special filters to be able to view the eclipse directly. If you don't have the proper filters, you may damage your camera. Also, most drones can't get high enough to view it directly either. The shadows moving across the earth is about all we may be able to get which may be cool too. Good luck to you.
Maybe a stupid question but. Do I have pano shooting with my P4?

How about a reflection off a body of water? I know I have gotten some great photos over water on a calm lake. It might make for a great shot!!!!!!Too bad my batteries are not charged!!!!! I've missed a great opportunity!

Maybe a stupid question but. Do I have pano shooting with my P4?
Yes, but you will need eg. Litchi to capture this automatically. But you can always take manual captures when slowly rotating the drone. Combining the images will also require other software regardless of the capturing.

litchi took too long. i started just a smidge before totality and the sun started peeking out just as it started the second row of pictures. By the time it got to the nadir shot - it was fully bright outside again.

ahh well. tried. I can say this though – the nice thing about it being autonomous is that I was able to personally enjoy the eclipse while it did it’s thing.

should have shot the video, instead. if I really wanted to be hardcore about it – there’s another total eclipse in 2024. from Texas to New York or something.

Reactions: tml4191

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4