Going high. Wanting to go 1500 ft up

I am going to be doing some filming at 13900 feet....... however I am taking off at 12300/12600. There is no airplanes or helicopters because of the high peaks that I am going to be flying around.

I am doing as much research as I can to find out how things work at that altitude with these drones and would greatly appreciate any input from the audience.

The flight rules are AGL, not MSL. If you're taking off at Angels12.3, then the theoretical max is 12.7. However, contact the tower and let them know your intentions. I've yet to be told "no" and many of my flights are within the meridian of international airports. You can find the local tower number on the web or in any number of apps.

Pilot Wings
Of course I know there are some people who do and would end up causing some kind of havoc
Nice pointing the finger ...and not even knowing where I am flying..or what kind of precautions I am going through....

Simple intelligence can change the bad PR........

EyeWingsuit

There is NO tower or airport within 85 miles...sadly if there is an airplane they are too low and going in...many have in the area.

Last edited:
I am going to be doing some filming at 13900 feet....... however I am taking off at 12300/12600. There is no airplanes or helicopters because of the high peaks that I am going to be flying around.

I am doing as much research as I can to find out how things work at that altitude with these drones and would greatly appreciate any input from the audience.
The max altitude is 6000m or around 20k feet. So even front altitude if that is your takeoff point. It will always use the take off point as ground level. Exactly what they are not understanding. You can't fly at altitude without being at altitude. You must practice of just for a short while. It will be cold up that high for sure. And windy. In fact my ultimate goal is to fly over a volcano in the Philippines. Which is about 8k in. Altitude. If I climb say to 6500ft. I will be able to make it over the top.
d5bfea781f52a6e4ca3018ba8aa2a778.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Sweeeeeeeet. ...very cool Tony...fly safe research all you can about the area....flying at altitude above 7k is different....I live at 6k and routinely go to 9.3k to vacation....keep me abreast of anything you learn.

I can with a bit of climbing by foot.....:)...get to 13100 to launch....ug...a hike and a half
The max altitude is 6000m or around 20k feet. So even front altitude if that is your takeoff point. It will always use the take off point as ground level. Exactly what they are not understanding. You can't fly at altitude without being at altitude. You must practice of just for a short while. It will be cold up that high for sure. And windy. In fact my ultimate goal is to fly over a volcano in the Philippines. Which is about 8k in. Altitude. If I climb say to 6500ft. I will be able to make it over the top.
d5bfea781f52a6e4ca3018ba8aa2a778.jpg

Last edited:

Pilot Wings
Of course I know there are some people who do and would end up causing some kind of havoc
Nice pointing the finger ...and not even knowing where I am flying..or what kind of precautions I am going through....

Simple intelligence can change the bad PR........

EyeWingsuit

There is NO tower or airport within 85 miles...sadly if there is an airplane they are too low and going in...many have in the area.

Since it's a tourist area, I'd imagine it's still controlled airspace (would need to see a chart of the area) and if so, notifying the tower would still be normal practice if you're exceeding G airspace.

Tony,

These drones are very important to a lot of us and many like myself use them for our business. I also travel a lot (38 countries so far). Well to be frank its very immature to be flying this height with your drone. In my personal opinion people who do this should be banned from owning them. Its going to take one idiot that gets one sucked into a plane engine, causes a plane to take evasive action etc or has a catastrophic failure and has one drop from the height onto someone or into traffic on a car and cause death or major injury. Please, dont do this. Just remember its people like you (and i mean this in a respectful way) that are going to get them taken from us. There, in my opinion is no reason to go over the legal height. Lets all as drone operators please obey the laws with these and not risk other peoples lives so we go go that high and do it for the reason of as you said "just to say i did."

Again Tony I dont say this to me mean or anything but its very upsetting knowing that people are out there doing this. If it continues I hope they do ban them and I LOVE our P3P. Its spectacular for our video business and great on our world travels. But this can get out of control as drones become more popular and less expensive. You are not helping our cause at all.

Last edited:
You need to be careful flying that high (at least in the US, but I would suspect for other countries as well)!

If you enter controlled airspace (and 1500ft would put you smack into Class E airspace in most areas of the country) then you are actually breaking the law and the FAA has shown that they monitor social media such as Youtube and forums such as this one to look for violations. Especially if a pilot reported seeing an UAS in that area at that time...

To learn about airspace here is a lesson from a course for getting your pilot's license (jump to 3min 10sec where she discusses Class G and Class E airspace, but is worth watching in it's entirety):

It's people doing things like this that prompted the FAA to require registration in the first place!!
Thanks for the video!

I beg to differ (in a respectful way of course). It is people who are illegally using drones for commercial operations without proper licensing who are the bane of the sport. Such individuals should be banned from owning them & banished to the Pointless Forest!

Just remember its people like you (and i mean this in a respectful way) that are going to get them taken from us.

You're clueless to think that small planes only go that low when landing. And by water I think you mean going to the coast and flying it up from there? I don't know about where you are but around here , there are always low planes doing scenic flights over the water by the beaches
I think its pretty much standard on the coast to have scenic flights all the time. That and where I am, there are countless medical ambulance flights, military flights all the time(those black helicopters, you know the ones armed to the teeth) and coast guard flights. The airport about 2.5 miles away is not even a worry really, its everything else. And where I came from in Missouri, everyday there were Warthog sorti's going on above the lake. It seems everywhere I've flown, you better have your **** together.

Tony,

These drones are very important to a lot of us and many like myself use them for our business. I also travel a lot (38 countries so far). Well to be frank its very immature to be flying this height with your drone. In my personal opinion people who do this should be banned from owning them. Its going to take one idiot that gets one sucked into a plane engine, causes a plane to take evasive action etc or has a catastrophic failure and has one drop from the height onto someone or into traffic on a car and cause death or major injury. Please, dont do this. Just remember its people like you (and i mean this in a respectful way) that are going to get them taken from us. There, in my opinion is no reason to go over the legal height. Lets all as drone operators please obey the laws with these and not risk other peoples lives so we go go that high and do it for the reason of as you said "just to say i did."

Again Tony I dont say this to me mean or anything but its very upsetting knowing that people are out there doing this. If it continues I hope they do ban them and I LOVE our P3P. Its spectacular for our video business and great on our world travels. But this can get out of control as drones become more popular and less expensive. You are not helping our cause at all.

I agree it is huge for my business also...FAA333 and all.

Last edited:
Since it's a tourist area, I'd imagine it's still controlled airspace (would need to see a chart of the area) and if so, notifying the tower would still be normal practice if you're exceeding G airspace.
Not sure what you mean a tourist area ....weekly (7days) you would see 4-6 people maybe, at certain times of the year you would see no one at all for weeks/months. These area a bit remote.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean a tourist area ....weekly (7days) you would see 4-6 people maybe, at certain times of the year you would see no one at all for weeks/months. These area a bit remote.

It doesn't matter if you only see one goat. It may well be controlled airspace in which case, you'd want to let the controlling tower know what's up. In the case of my Murrietta home, we're 77 miles from the tower, but the airspace is still controlled by a tower.

If you know where you'll be flying, it should be easy to pull a chart (assuming you know how to read airnav charts) and see how the airspace is managed and what's expected of you. Post the area, and I'll happily dig in if you don't.

if tony fly's around his area biggest threat is coastguard they fly low always buzzing around 300 feet p.s I will spot for you tony ill bring binoculars

if tony fly's around his area biggest threat is coastguard they fly low always buzzing around 300 feet p.s I will spot for you tony ill bring binoculars
Yep. That is the truth. Always in the lookout for them.

I beg to differ (in a respectful way of course). It is people who are illegally using drones for commercial operations without proper licensing who are the bane of the sport. Such individuals should be banned from owning them & banished to the Pointless Forest!
Pointless forest! Love that movie! ;)

Reactions: Dirty Bird
It is far to easy not to get the legal stuff...FAA-333 and then on to107....if that is what they call it whenever it happens.
I could see that as an issue if it was impossible to make the entire project legal. As for banning them....REALLY...... I would much rather the authorities just keep the repeat drunk driving offenders off the streets FOREVER!!!

Last edited:
I was being sarcastic. (except for banishment to the Pointless Forest!) Read the message to which I replied.

It is far to easy not get the legal stuff...FAA-333 and then on to107....if that is what they call it whenever it happens.
I could see that as an issue if it was impossible to make the entire project legal. As for banning them.REALLY...... I would much rather the authorities just keep the repeat drunk driving offenders of the streets FOREVER!!!

Reactions: jointeffort
Tony, If you are going high at or near the Skyway Bridge, don't forget all of the major airports in that area. St. Pete, Cleawater, Tampa, and Macdill.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1