Going high. Wanting to go 1500 ft up

I think you guys have convinced me to wait until I can have a spotter. I will go to Best Buy then and get some binoculars.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Monte Olsen
Planes won't fly close to guy towers.........especially the guy towers that extend 2000 ft up........and they are easy to find with skyvector.com for your area.

I always fly above their height and off to one side of them due to the long length of their guywires when in the plane.

Getting any ideas?

I don't know if anyone saw my post from yesterday but I went up in a little bit too high wind speed by accident. Well, ok, A LOT too high wind speed, lol. I got up to 192 ft and wind was MUCH different there than at ground level. I made the mistake of trusting what weather channel said for current winds in my area. It was much different than what UAV Forcast said. I checked flight logs on Healthy Drone and holy cow! I was flying in 28.3 mph sustained/32 mph gusts. Will never use weather channel app again for deciding if I should fly or not,

I don't know if anyone saw my post from yesterday but I went up in a little bit too high wind speed by accident. Well, ok, A LOT too high wind speed, lol. I got up to 192 ft and wind was MUCH different there than at ground level. I made the mistake of trusting what weather channel said for current winds in my area. It was much different than what UAV Forcast said. I checked flight logs on Healthy Drone and holy cow! I was flying in 28.3 mph sustained/32 mph gusts. Will never use weather channel app again for deciding if I should fly or not,
Interesting. The wind is currently barely 2mph here on the ground right now. According to uav. It's 7mph at 1500 ft. Wow I hope it's at least close to accurate.
29a670c91ca13a6d76be611145ea67aa.jpg

There's one 100% exact wind forecast. Go up to desired hight and flick the switch to atti.

Reactions: Sabalon and Bob8619
There's one 100% exact wind forecast. Go up to desired hight and flick the switch to atti.

Or lookup the weather balloon data from the nearest airport.
Tony, Tampa Bay was showig 10-15 knots around 8am this morning around 400' to 2600' per radiosonde.

Upper-Air page: RAP Real-Time Weather

The day I got my Vision+ I flew twice with the pair of batteries that came with the drone. Early the next morning around 3 am I was staring at the Phantom & got a bug to take her out for a night flight. Pretty much just went straight up. WAY up! No comment on my overall altitude in this flight but it surpassed your intentions by more than a factor of two. o_O

I don't normally do this but if you have fast car, at some point you have to try it!

I just want to see how many people will admit to going high. I at least want to test and get a quick picture or video and come back down in a minute or two. Please advice.

It's funny you say that about the vision+. As I saw a video of a guy going up to 4900ft. I wonder if they are still capable of going that high. Or if here is a way to bypass the 500m limit. If so. I may be on the market for a vision +

Last edited:
I just want to see how many people will admit to going high. I at least want to test and get a quick picture or video and come back down in a minute or two. Please advice.

Man Tony, now what are you up to? I can imagine the type of child you were growing up. I bet you were an absolute punishment to your folks.

I don't know about Vision+ units with the later firmware revisions but mine still has the original 3.00 so it has no altitude limitations. You can fly the battery to 0% if you wanted to risk it. No mandatory autolanding @ 10%. It does implement No Fly Zones with 1.5 miles of certain airports & restricted altitudes within a 5 mile cone surround an airport but this is all in the firmware & not reliant on an external database.

It's funny you say that about the vision+. As I saw a video of a guy going up to 4900ft. I wonder if they are still capable of going that high. Or if here is a way to bypass the 500m limit. If so. I may be on the market for s vision +

Reactions: Tony Cowan
Man Tony, now what are you up to? I can imagine the type of child you were growing up. I bet you were an absolute punishment to your folks.
Just wanting to test the limits. I will explain. To make it easier to understand. I'm traveling to Asia in May. 5 countries. However in 3 of them. I will to fly my drone. And many have mountains and a couple volcanoes. So I want to know about flying high and taking a peek. But I need to test things before I go. Places. First hongkong. Not much activity with the drone. Next. Japan. I will try in the countryside. 3 Philippines. Many places to fly and film. Including active volcano in Albay. 4 Thailand. And 5 Vietnam. So this is all about getting info and trying it. I also know the real test is to take it to say 1k in altitude and try Atti mode. This terrifies me. As I feel it will be the end of my drone. But with a phantom 2 without limitations. This would be ideal. Take it say 3k like dirtybird said.

You wrote For sure I'm gonna do it over water. As not to put anyone in danger.

I have no idea where you come from, but over here in the British Isles aircraft have been flying over water for 100+ years.................so entering even uncontrolled-airspace above water kind of matters. Unless you were thinking that it's more considerate to collide above water............ so the other guys have a softer landing

I have no idea where you come from, but over here in the British Isles aircraft have been flying over water for 100+ years.................so entering even uncontrolled-airspace above water kind of matters. Unless you were thinking that it's more considerate to collide above water............ so the other guys have a softer landing
Not uk. But Gulf of Mexico. Very big area so small chance of hitting anything. And to ill have a spotter.

You need to be careful flying that high (at least in the US, but I would suspect for other countries as well)!

If you enter controlled airspace (and 1500ft would put you smack into Class E airspace in most areas of the country) then you are actually breaking the law and the FAA has shown that they monitor social media such as Youtube and forums such as this one to look for violations. Especially if a pilot reported seeing an UAS in that area at that time...

To learn about airspace here is a lesson from a course for getting your pilot's license (jump to 3min 10sec where she discusses Class G and Class E airspace, but is worth watching in it's entirety):

It's people doing things like this that prompted the FAA to require registration in the first place!!

Last edited:

I kinda find it hard to believe that a 2.5 lbs drone can bring , say, a Boeing 747 down.. or even a smaller aircraft. Whats gonna happen is probably your drone gonna get blown outta the sky if hit by an aircraft flying over 200 mph... i dont think many phantom pilots constantly fly over 1000' high. But im sure most of us will go up at least once to test the height limits. I have.. Highest Altitude: 1,007 ft was up there for about 1 a min, hovered, then went back down to below 400'.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik