Go Pro recall

Reaction score
Small ad in our local paper - Go Pro recalls all Karma's with promise to replace with a new one.
not much in way of details though, like why or what went wrong

It's true and unfortunate. Unfortunate cause it was creating a competition.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It's true and unfortunate. Unfortunate cause it was creating a competition.

Probably true. Who know what features the Mavic would have had and where it would have been priced if DJI didn't have have the Karma to aim at? The Karma has tanked (at least this version has tanked), and deservedly so because it was inarguably lame. Fortunately, that doesn't matter because the foldable-drone bar has now been set and DJI isn't going to roll it back.

If GoPro is smart, and if they have anything left, they will use their dying breath to gasp out one last shot at a Karma that provides some semblance of competition.

Recalled after it was discovered it lost power during flight, those who have purchased will receive a full refund, gopro is not offering replacement units

Not confident on fixing or isolating the issue then?

I suspect this is the end of the Karma,we have to have confidence in our aircraft, and falling out of the sky is one of the worst experiences. I still get nervous when flying(A good thing as complacency is bad), but I have developed a good confidence in my P4.
I think I would be very wary flying a Karma, despite a few early warnings about the Mavic, DJI have won hands down.
As others have noted it is good to have competition,helps innovation and keeps price down, but a bad product will damage the hobby as a whole.

I suspect this is the end of the Karma,we have to have confidence in our aircraft, and falling out of the sky is one of the worst experiences. I still get nervous when flying(A good thing as complacency is bad), but I have developed a good confidence in my P4.
I think I would be very wary flying a Karma, despite a few early warnings about the Mavic, DJI have won hands down.
As others have noted it is good to have competition,helps innovation and keeps price down, but a bad product will damage the hobby as a whole.

I do not think it will be "the end" .... but it will certainly put the Karma WAAAAAAY back, as if the launch of the Mavic one week after GoPro announced the Karma didn't slap it down enough.

As you said, competition is good, and we should all welcome it, and in the case of GoPro at least they did the right thing and recalled them. I think that shows good response and responsibility that helps the image and industry...

I personally have a Mavic on order but hate to see the Karma "go down" like this. I think it does have it's place for a certain user group.

I will say that the GoPro stock, now down to about $10 is pretty scary if you are the CEO of GoPro

I'm really curious if we'll see the Karma again. 2500 recalled, who knows how many were staged/queued on the production line that need the repair. Who knows what the repair requires, Obviously not something that could be fixed with a firmware upgrade.

Then depending on what the fix is, it could mean a redesign and change in production. Also, is this change able to be refitted into the existing Karmas. May not be very simple to do.

Then I wonder if pre-orders/orders were even coming close to their estimates. Point is, I'm wondering if they going to scap the karma and cut their losses...

As is often said, competition is good but unfortunately for GoPro the Karma wasn't really offering any competition.
It was huge, heavy and just not in the league of current machines.
DSC_4435.jpg

i-cPpbmT5-L.jpg

They pitched it as a compact portable but although its arms folded back, it was anything but.
Here's possibly the best review, it came out just as the recall was announced.
GoPro Karma In-Depth Review

As is often said, competition is good but unfortunately for GoPro the Karma wasn't really offering any competition.
It was huge, heavy and just not in the league of current machines.

Agreed, it is a totally different animal.... well more like beast. The problem is they focused their entire design around their GoPro camera, which is facing stiffer and stiffer competition.

If you want to be a competitor/player/leader in an industry you need to think outside the box, whereas GoPro is still inside it's own box (centered on the GoPro camera).

Reactions: Meta4
GoPro wasn't trying to corner the drone market, they were trying to do something that would make their cameras more relevant and more competitive. It could have been a good idea but they aimed too low. The Karma, likely all the drone they could afford to develop, simply was not competitive.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic