Glying above water/sea

My first ever outdoor flight was over a lake. Funny how i didn't think it might be risky.

2 flys over a river and 1 over the sea....so far so good.
VPS = OFF, and all green!

How do I switch VPS off?

I just been scrolling through MC settings and its not there :(

Also my aircraft status indicator light never flashes any colour?

(Ignore the poor controller signal)

1438727931670.jpg

VPS uses images to see horisontal movement of the drone. If you fly low the wind generated by the props will generate ripples in the water and they are moving. so your p3 might behave strange when it try to compensate for what it think is drifting...

Yes, if you fly high it does not matter, but if you fly high vps is not working any way so why not turn it of.

To turn VPS off:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/turning-off-visual-positioning-system.41481/

I fly low on shallow water to look for crabs (just small ones for fun)..

Reactions: D4T_PoM
VPS uses images to see vertical movement of the drone. If you fly low the wind generated by the props will generate ripples in the water and they are moving. so your p3 might behave strange when it try to compensate for what it think is drifting...

Yes, if you fly high it does not matter, but if you fly high vps is not working any way so why not turn it of.

To turn VPS off:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/turning-off-visual-positioning-system.41481/

I fly low on shallow water to look for crabs (just small ones for fun)..

So do I need to update any firmwares in order to switch it off?

I fly a lot over water and never disabled vps.
Just don't get to low and beware of the waves and splashing water.

^ THIS. Exactly my experience.

you should have this option at least in the previous version as well... (in fact thats the only version i have used in air - updated today but heavy rain.......), but i dont know if you have an older version.

@Meta4
Do I plug the SD card from the camera/gimbal into the computer to see what firmware is installed in my P3A?
No ... In the app, click Mode next to the home icon in the upper left ....
Click the 4 dots in the lower left ... go to the last item and click About
To see what firmware is on your Phantom, it will have to be connected to the app & controller.

Reactions: D4T_PoM
No ... In the app, click Mode next to the home icon in the upper left ....
Click the 4 dots in the lower left ... go to the last item and click About
To see what firmware is on your Phantom, it will have to be connected to the app & controller.

Will check in the morning and get back to you.

Thanks bud

@Meta4

So here it goes, I have taken a screen recording of my Note 4 connected to the RC and P3 turned on.

I have finally found the VPS settings and have also found the firmware version for the P3 and App.

However I find it very strange that I have the 1.3.20 firmware already installed on my P3, I did not perform any updates as I only just purchased the P3A last week Thursday o_O

I bought the P3 from a reputable electronics store here in the UK (Maplins) it was brand new and unopened (seals where intact on the box), my guess is that the P3 I purchased already had the firmware 1.3.20 installed from factory.

The P3 flies really good and I have had no issues with it whatsoever, it hovers fine at low level (30cm and above) and is responsive and keeps its position.

What I don't understand is;

1) How comes it already has the 1.3.20 installed when that firmware was only released Yesterday (or day before, not sure exactly when).

2) How do I properly test the VPS as I'm not sure what I'm supposed to look out for as per to all the bugs people are talking about regarding the VPS on the forum

3) My aircraft status indicator light never flashes in the DJI Pilot app, never has since installed and been using it since.

3) Some people are saying about the Gimbal horizontal issue's, again I don't know what I'm supposed to look out for as this is my first DJI Phantom.

4) What are the glitches if any that I'm supposed to look out for when flying the P3.

As you can see from the video, I tried to hover the bird inside the spare room of my house but took it straight down as the amount of air it was producing was immense and I kind of bottled out as it is a small room ( in translation I was soiling pants - LITERALLY due to being the first time I turned the thing on inside the house :p )

Any help and advice will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
1. My guess is that the update was probably developed weeks ago but only released to the public recently.

2. As long as your flying between 30 centimetres and 3 meters (VPS range) you should notice in the lower right hand corner of pilot app /camera screen a small icon with green radio waves coming out. This will show your exact altitude indoors or out. this does not need testing.
3 Probably just a glitch. It might get fixed in the next firmware update next week.

3b. Gimbal Horizon issues mean that when you playback your video and the horizon looks tilted or not level. To repair do a gimbal calibration located in the app.

Man up snowflake!

and get the bird in the air, high risk = high reward

:) :) :) :)

my over sea video from last week ....

totally cool.... but I think I think I saw a person you flew over. You dangerous flyer you! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20