Gimbal tilt control not working

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with the tilt control of my H3-2D Gimbal. I have a Phantom 2 with the Gimbal and I am unable to adjust the pitch on the remote control (from DJI). In the assistant software, I can see that the Phantom is not receiving the signal of the tilt controller, as the X1 value remains static (basic -> RC -> Sticks Monitor). It worked before and I am not sure why it stopped working. Currently, the Gimbal only stays at the default value. I updated everything to the latest version.

Thanks In Advance!

Pedro

pedrosl said:
Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with the tilt control of my H3-2D Gimbal. I have a Phantom 2 with the Gimbal and I am unable to adjust the pitch on the remote control (from DJI). In the assistant software, I can see that the Phantom is not receiving the signal of the tilt controller, as the X1 value remains static (basic -> RC -> Sticks Monitor). It worked before and I am not sure why it stopped working. Currently, the Gimbal only stays at the default value. I updated everything to the latest version.

Thanks In Advance!

Pedro

Also check if the gimbal lever is actually making contact with the circuit board mounted potentiometer (pot). On mine the tilt lever moved back and forth too easily and found the lever had no contact with the pot. To fix I removed the transmitter back panel, loosened the 4 screws holding down the circuit board and packed the board up about 2mm using a bit of cardboard. When I tightened the screws and replaced the back panel the X1 actuator made contact with the pot and had full access to the gimbal tilt. Go through the normal calibration to see if it is fixed. This may or may not be your problem but many people have complained about this lever not turning the pot and it is an assembly/manufacturing fault.

mikebrow said:
pedrosl said:
Hey guys,

Thanks In Advance!

Pedro

Also check if the gimbal lever is actually making contact with the circuit board mounted potentiometer (pot). On mine the tilt lever moved back and forth too easily and found the lever had no contact with the pot. To fix I removed the transmitter back panel, loosened the 4 screws holding down the circuit board and packed the board up about 2mm using a bit of cardboard. When I tightened the screws and replaced the back panel the X1 actuator made contact with the pot and had full access to the gimbal tilt. Go through the normal calibration to see if it is fixed. This may or may not be your problem but many people have complained about this lever not turning the pot and it is an assembly/manufacturing fault.

THANK YOU !!!

:)

hi all
i have the h3 3d gimbal & did the mod with the pot on the front , have updated everything and still the tilt doesn't work , for a while it just points straight ahead , then points down until rebooted ?
appreciate all suggestions !!
many thanks jeff

This is happening to me too. :?

Dodgy gimbal, dodgy battery level value on iosd the other evening (10% when really had 3 greens) GoPro cutting off 6.33gb into every film although it keeps on filming only making 2 vids out of 1........

There`s a pattern starting to develop here..... :(

UPDATE.

The gimbal is now moving. Hurrah!! i hear you say. After a lot of calibration ( and i mean a lot ) it`s at horizontal on startup and returns there when the switch is turned back.However, with the slightest of movement it goes through 90 degrees looking straight down. No inbetween so in essence still miles away from being right.
I`d much rather be out flying the thing than playing silly buggers with it hooked up on the computer trying to get it to work correctly. :( but i suppose i`m in for another afternoon of cursing and frustration to get it right.

UPDATE on UPDATE.

Hurrah!!
After a step back, a calm and measured approach brought the gimbal fiasco to an end and the swear jar to level out from the frequent and financially crippling deposits. :cry:
I updated everything to the latest firmware and calibrated x1 using the RC System Assistant 1.1. and not the Phantom 2 Assistant 3.0 where strangely it was directing you to. Powered the P2 off and back on again and touch wood it seems to have "stuck". The wx here is very windy so a test flight in the field is up next and hopefully with the battery terminals cleaned and the GoPro reset it`s onwards and upwards. :roll:

Bad news :( The spacer under the board to ensure more positive contact with the crazy short screw, didn't fix my faulty control of the gimble angle.

After the gimble intermitantly doing it's own thing, not responding correctly to the X1 lever and also finishing power up pointing at random angles (but most of them 45 degrees down) i did several recalibrations to no good, i took the RC apart again, used a screw driver on the yellow screw and had perfect control, up, down, slow & fast.

Now really pissed by the messing about and loss of good video shots, i returned to the shop and the guy said to fit a knerly twister knob to replace the lever and therefore remove the chance of the bad contact failing again.

Deadmeat said:
calibrated x1 using the RC System Assistant 1.1. and not the Phantom 2 Assistant 3.0 where strangely it was directing you to.

It's really best to do it in both places, starting with the RC Assistant...that calibrates the hardware controller itself, while the process in the Phantom Assistant software calibrates the input from the receiver. Either one of those two being out of calibration can cause things like you experienced.

LittleKway said:
the guy said to fit a knerly twister knob to replace the lever and therefore remove the chance of the bad contact failing again.

That's good advice, and many others have done the same and mounted the knob on the front of the controller instead. If you use a knob with enough travel on it, then it'll also give you the side benefit of slowing down and smoothing the tilt movements of the gimbal.

Just posted progress here viewtopic.php?f=26&t=14624&start=10

Having got the knob & then funnily enough had to upgrade the IMU software (which failed first time) I needed the advice from that thread to complete today's challenge ;)

Attachments

• knurlyknob.jpg
    knurlyknob.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 919
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31