Gimbal / Camera savers? Do they work?

Yea, I get it, just hope if we ever crash it won't be on hard pavement !!
Hahahah there is always going to be a degree of severely. Lets call it

1. I have a brown pants now
2. I hope nothing too bad happened
3. Crap, hope i can sell some of the parts
4. It sleep with fishes

A camera gimbal unit is worth alot of money. So even in scenario 3, if i can salvage and sell the cameras unit whole, i am at least getting back close to 1/4 to 1/3 cost of replacement unit.

Also the cost of repairing the camera unit is high in scenario 1 and 2. Other parts are cheap by comparison.

I think zip tie's put on lose work great
View attachment 39589

Why not use the drop pins that come up with it? Watching a few assembly/disassemble videos I think the one arm is a press fit on the motor that has a shaft with retaining. I think the retaining is breaking during the crash and some people are just putting it back together....

Either way I'm keeping it stock! I think its going to break either way if you crash...

Why not use the drop pins that come up with it? Watching a few assembly/disassemble videos I think the one arm is a press fit on the motor that has a shaft with retaining. I think the retaining is breaking during the crash and some people are just putting it back together....

Either way I'm keeping it stock! I think its going to break either way if you crash...
You are not wrong. However, see my post #62 above.

You are not wrong. However, see my post #62 above.

Check this video:

There are screws through the yaw arm that connect to the motor that has a shaft back through the arm.

Do you have a video that shows it is just magnetic on a non-crash and broken one?

I use zip ties on the 2 non-pin's as par to the "phantom fix" instructions, the pins I leave in, maybe you should email
Phantom Fix and ask them why
Email: [email protected]
[email protected]
zip.jpg

Check this video:

There are screws through the yaw arm that connect to the motor that has a shaft back through the arm.

Do you have a video that shows it is just magnetic on a non-crash and broken one?

Believe me, don't believe me up to you. It's not my bird. I have one on my and I don't profit from anyone buying it.

Lots of video out there showing what you are seeking. Go search it. Your video is showing the wrong place, the gimbal saver isn't saving THAT part. I believe the three screws you are referring to is at time index 8:48. I'll just say once you figure out HOW is the camera WITH the screws able to "roll" (gimbal roll" about the virtical axis, the answer will become apparent. Obviously it's rolling about a join where the screws isn't attached (ok, I hope this much is obvious to you). If it's got a screw through it, it is NOT going to move. Period. Yet we know it "rolls". SO HOW is t doing it?

I use zip ties on the 2 non-pin's as par to the "phantom fix" instructions, the pins I leave in, maybe you should email
Phantom Fix and ask them why
Email: [email protected]
[email protected]
View attachment 39772

I would use two more drop pins if I was nervous before zip ties....if you crash it is breaking either way...

I like the DJI solution, it is lightest and accomplishes the goal of keeping the camera from coming off on a hard landing (on diagonal corners), crashing is another matter....

Believe me, don't believe me up to you. It's not my bird. I have one on my and I don't profit from anyone buying it.

Lots of video out there showing what you are seeking. Go search it. Your video is showing the wrong place, the gimbal saver isn't saving THAT part. I believe the three screws you are referring to is at time index 8:48. I'll just say once you figure out HOW is the camera WITH the screws able to "roll" (gimbal roll" about the virtical axis, the answer will become apparent. Obviously it's rolling about a join where the screws isn't attached (ok, I hope this much is obvious to you). If it's got a screw through it, it is NOT going to move. Period. Yet we know it "rolls". SO HOW is t doing it?

The screws hold the motor assemble on and the yaw arm has a press fit onto the outside of the motor housing....that is what I think anyhow. I am not 100% sure you are wrong and I don't care if people buy these things, I am just not buying them and my opinion is they are not adding much value...

Check this video:

Since I am in good mood.

Time index 2:22 you can see the three screws you reference.

here's what i am talking.

Go time index 0:34 for reference (ie. camera attached)

Go time index 0:41 for the magnetic holding / separation / hard bump I am talking about. Take note how much effort it took.

Go time index 0:47 for separated camera being held to the rest of gimbal by just that flimsy ribbon. THAT ribbon, my friend, is at least $60 (if you can find it). And if your camera came off, almost guarantee that ribbon is going to rip.

Go time index 0:51 to see how he puts the camera back in place. No screws needed.

Like I say, what you do is up to you. Not my drone, not my money, and no skin of my back.

Since I am in good mood.

Time index 2:22 you can see the three screws you reference.

here's what i am talking.

Go time index 0:34 for reference (ie. camera attached)

Go time index 0:41 for the magnetic holding / separation / hard bump I am talking about. Take note how much effort it took.

Go time index 0:47 for separated camera being held to the rest of gimbal by just that flimsy ribbon. THAT ribbon, my friend, is at least $60 (if you can find it). And if your camera came off, almost guarantee that ribbon is going to rip.

Go time index 0:51 to see how he puts the camera back in place. No screws needed.

Like I say, what you do is up to you. Not my drone, not my money, and no skin of my back.

Thank you for this, I did see this and it is crashed Phantom. I spent maybe an hour looking for a video as well....and found a few where they put back on broken ones but could not find one on a new un-crashed one. I believe that motor is permanently damaged. The screws I was talking about are removed at 1:16. Just typing what I think....

Ok I studied mine carefully and I think I can explain better after I take some pictures and mark them up, will try to post tomorrow if I have time...

IMG_6530.PNG

If you look at the motor that controls up/down of the camera and the motor you are looking at here they are the same. The difference is how they are oriented. The housing for the camera up/down is visible and you can see the coils as well. The shaft, which is press fit into the housing then goes through the arm and is attached to the camera. The separation you are showing here would be the same as pulling that housing off for the camera up/down (don't do it). The shaft must be press fit to the housing or the camera would not move up and down. Now, the housing that is shown separated is also pressed on the shaft; however, the aluminum arm is also pressed on the outside of the housing. A crash can easily mess up that press fit and then the part can be reinstalled and still function since the housing can rotate freely. At this point it is damaged and the motor should be replaced. The shaft on that motor is only used for determining the alignment. Make sense? I hope you can at least agree that the pin in the middle of the housing on the camera up/down is press fit....

The camera up down has a screws against the shaft. Not the case with roll. Fir the roll, the shaft goes into a very shadow hole, not enough to secure it.

There are plenty video on YouTube that thakes the entire camera unit apart. Study that if you like.

I will stand by what i said: the gimbal saver helps. Feel free to do without one. I didn't for my P2 V+.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20