Getting Phantom soon. Couple questions

Reaction score
I will be going to Atlanta Hobby the weekend after next to pick up my Phantom with Gopro hero 3 black. I have a couple questions.

I have seen in a few places on the forums where users have warned against iphones near the quad. Is this while WiFi is on, or all the time? Is this also true with droids. I planned on having the first few flights filmed, just to be cautious, and was worried if using my Note 2 would be as harmful as iPhones, and if it was just a WiFi issue.

Should I worry about updating, or leave it as is out of the box? The 4.0 upgrade seems to be OK except for the geo fence. But should I leave it alone for a while. I would like to make use of the IOC, especially at first, just in case. I plan on getting a set of prop guards and painting either the front or back to help with orientation.

Thanks for your help. This forum has been great. I have been lurking around, reading and learning for about 6 weeks now. This is a great place. Thanks again.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

The wifi issue is only a problem if you have wifi turned on on the GoPro and phone and using the app,be it iphone or android.
The wifi connection between the camera and phone is working on the 2.4Ghz frequency and so is the Phantom transmitter/receiver so there can be interference and loss of control can result.
Leave wifi turned off and your phone and/or camera won't interfere with the Phantom at all.

So far as updating goes it's not essential to update,you can fly with whatever firmware version your Phantom comes with.
It's probably best to get some practice flying the Phantom first then when you are accustomed to how everything works then try an update so if there are any problems with the update you are better armed to deal with it,by knowing how it should perform.

For your first flights go somewhere that has lots of open spaces and leave flying in more confined areas until you have mastered the controls.

Your Phantom should come with a spring loaded throttle that will automatically center when released. If not, be careful not to accidentally pull down on the throttle control, even for a moment, or the Phantom will drop like a rock. Otherwise, you have pretty good advice from the previous posts. There's hardly any was to overemphasize the need to thoroughly understand how the Phantom operates, how to do Naza calibration with your computer, how to do compass calibration, and know how the flight modes work. Watch the DJI tutorials, too. Just my two cents looking back after a couple hundred flights.

Thanks very much. I have been reading almost every Phantom related thread on this forum, and another rc forum for a while now. I've gotten to a point where I have started to diagnose peoples issues, and I've been trying to guess at what could have cause peoples "flyaways" while the other users are helping. I don't go into anything like this unprepared. I certainly don't want to put a flying Cuisinart in the air without knowing as much as I can.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl