George ... George ... 'George of the Jungle'

Reaction score
Ah, the dangers of flying LOS instead of FPV.
If you know how the rest of that line from the song goes, you'll guess the next bit.
My first oops moment just occurred. I flew LOS instead of my usual FPV, and went round behind some trees, and misjudged how far behind them I really was.
Flew neatly through the branches, trimming leaves as I went, and came out the other side unscathed. Just a few leaf stains on the props.
I guess it's back to FPV for me. As the news reports would say, "Video at 9:00"

And that wasn't even my only D'Oh moment today, I got there and found my third battery hadn't been charged. I remembered that when I'd gone to charge it last time, I'd decided it was still too hot to put on the charger, and to let it cool a bit, and then I guess I forgot and packed it in with the others. Oh well. Two learning experiences where you and your quad all come home in one piece, are always good. Never stop learning I guess.

EDIT: http://youtu.be/UKn7C_F5b04

Hey Ezookiel, glad you got your stuff back unscathed. Greased Lightning cleaner works wonders for leaf stains on props, and I'm speaking from experience. The last time I tried to judge depth of field, I was gaining on the top of a tall pine tree and just KNEW I was on the other side of it. Yeah, ...right. As the familiar "weed eater" sound of leaves in a blender greeted my ears, suddenly I found my Phantom over 120 feet up in that tree. A trapper buddy of mine shot the limb down with a couple of well placed shots from a .22 rifle, and I was under my bird to catch it as it hurtled down from above. BTW, those things may seem light, but when falling from that far up, it jammed two fingers (like a baseball injury) and cut a third. I was glad I caught it, but boy did it hurt.

So I'm with you on the value of FPV over LOS. If I'm hot dogging around for the last few minutes of battery life, I'll usually use LOS, but it's FPV for me when it's "up, up, and away"...

Wow, glad it did not fall from the sky. Should of bought a lottery ticket.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl