First wreck....

My first crash experience I was following some kids on a 4 Wheeler around the neighborhood at about 65' AGL just off to the side of the street when whack #$@! I had flown the area before so i though i was good on altitude. Turns out one tree in the neighborhood is an evergreen about 70' AGL. I originally thought i had a bird strike because we have several hawks nesting in the area. Once I watched the video playback I saw I clipped a tree. I lost the left rear prop guard in the incident but returned the aircraft home safely. My RTH is now 90' because I'm parinoid lol

Had FPV been allowed I most likely would never have hit the tree but I was flying by myself at the time. Still wonder what happened to forward collision avoidance flying in P Mode.

I always keep the drone within vlos, but I look at the screen most of the time... . One other tip. I never fly backwards! I always fly forward and reverse the video on Resolve. Safer for the drone & my pocketbook.

I keep flipping to and from the map view when flying in reverse so I can see that I am still flying where I see it or expect it to be. Of course, I maintain an altitude to avoid obsticles and I don't fly in a direction I haven't already been flying forwards. I like flying in canyons and land that gains elevation so I already get to a safe altitude.

If the drone crashed into trees that were between you and the cows, I'm not so sure I understand what you mean by flying within the guidelines of VLOS. Could you see the drone while it was next to the cows or were you flying with "instruments" (e.g. video screen). That approach is what caused a local flying area to shut down to drones. A reckless drone pilot, not seeing all around his drone (vs. just camera view) drone crashed it and injured a member of a wedding party.

If the drone crashed into trees that were between you and the cows, I'm not so sure I understand what you mean by flying within the guidelines of VLOS. Could you see the drone while it was next to the cows or were you flying with "instruments" (e.g. video screen). That approach is what caused a local flying area to shut down to drones. A reckless drone pilot, not seeing all around his drone (vs. just camera view) drone crashed it and injured a member of a wedding party.
Didn’t know I was opening myself up for an inquisition here.

It was in sight the WHOLE time with the exception of when it was fully enveloped and obscured by the tree. Did I use the screen when I was dropping down next to the cows? Yes. I beg your forgiveness for that indiscretion, but I just couldn’t resist the temptation to look at what was on camera. And no, the trees were not between us. I have no idea where you came up with that one. Cows were to the south of me, the offending tree to the west. I’m standing over by the house and barns that are visible just after I left the close up bovine portraiture segment of the program.

Meanwhile, the entire flight area was my own property; my cows, my tree. I know of no renegade wedding party on the property that was in mortal danger, but I’ll be sure to check more closely in the future just in case.

Last edited:
Quite a clear cut case dude. ... No harm in anything. Simple pilot error admitted right at the start.... Now.... Let's fix any problems with the drone... We all make mistakes... I made tons of them... Not alone mate.... We are here for you [emoji4]

Reactions: Astrix
Don’t worry about any ‘Spanish Inquisition’ ..... ignore them and they will go away. Sorry for your crash, as Neon Euc quite rightly says “ let’s fix any problems with the drone” .... there are plenty of non judgemental people on this forum who will be more than happy to advise and assist in your repair. Just ask [emoji106]

Reactions: Neon Euc
Didn’t know I was opening myself up for an inquisition here.

It was in sight the WHOLE time with the exception of when it was fully enveloped and obscured by the tree. Did I use the screen when I was dropping down next to the cows? Yes. I beg your forgiveness for that indiscretion, but I just couldn’t resist the temptation to look at what was on camera. And no, the trees were not between us. I have no idea where you came up with that one. Cows were to the south of me, the offending tree to the west. I’m standing over by the house and barns that are visible just after I left the close up bovine portraiture segment of the program.

Meanwhile, the entire flight area was my own property; my cows, my tree. I know of no renegade wedding party on the property that was in mortal danger, but I’ll be sure to check more closely in the future just in case.

Thanks for taking the time to explain!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak