Geo Fencing

Reaction score
Going to do a inside "Class C" mission Friday I got the FAA Automated Clearance and called the local ATC
Is the Geo Fencing going to be an issue or does it also recognize the clearance?

I don't know, but DJI geofencing won't let me take off my P4A in my own living room because my house is within 1 mi. of a small rural airport with no tower and typically 0 to 5 flights per day. What's worse is that if I'm flying over the ocean within 2-3 mi. of that airport the nanny geofencing will not allow the drone to return to home in case of loss of signal or low battery if that auto RTH would cause it to fly towards the airport. Instead it would hover in place and then auto-land in the ocean. One size does not fit all.

Remember when DJI first introduced GeoFencing garbage into the firmware updates? That is when the leash we fly on got a little shorter.

My solution was to DOWNGRADE the firmware on my P3’s to the version that did not have Geofencing. Problem solved. Did both my birds that way about 4 years ago. No issues since. And NO firmware updates since then. Don’t need them.

DJI preaches firmware updates all the time, and most of us update with no problems. Some like me whose birds fly great don’t want to download something in the firmware that limits or hinders free flight.

I don’t need DJI’s GeoFencing. I’m responsible for my own actions and fly within the published guidelines. I’m ok with that.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
You will most certainly need visit Fly Safe – Drone Flying Tips, Policies & Regulations, and More – DJI and jump through their hoops so that you can get the unlock. Once it approves it will show up in your settings the next time you power up and are logged into your dji account. Then you apply the unlock to your aircraft. I for one have not applied any geo updates for the last year at least.

AirMap is not currently connected to dji as in using airmap to get a LAANC then it being accepted within the app/aircraft. So no there is no airmap to tx connection.

I’m sure they are working on some sort of airspace authorization from with dji app. But that will probably be some paid for premium type of service.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31