General Discussion Forum

Anybody have any experience with DJI factory repair?

Sent my Phantom to the DJI factory for repairs about a month ago. Still no word.

Anybody out there with experience with the factory?

Re: Anybody have any experience with DJI factory repair?

AllenJones said:
Sent my Phantom to the DJI factory for repairs about a month ago. Still no word.

I sent my gimbal to DJI Los Angeles and it took about 2-3 weeks.

Re: Anybody have any experience with DJI factory repair?

FangsCPO said:
AllenJones said:

I sent my gimbal to DJI Los Angeles and it took about 2-3 weeks.

What did it cost to repair or was it in warranty? I have a toasted gimbal that I'm thinking about sending to them.

neoneo said:
And in my case I only do it after firmware updates or after adding/removing hardware. I don't routinely calibrate every flying session. But I do fly a test hover at 10ft at the start of the first flight of the day to check for a solid hold and normal reactions to controls.

However often you choose to calibrate the important thing is to do it in a good "safe" area - wide open, not near any ferro-magnetic materials (inlcuding below ground) or other sources of potential concern (like next to your car, metal railings, etc). It's possible to cause a problem that wasn't there with a bad calibration. Been there, done that!

i was planning on doing it in my back yard because that is where i want my home point to be. buy i have a huge trampoline right in the middle. that has a lot of metal. should i not do it there? no matter where i go in my back yard i'll be within 30 feet of the trampoline[/quote]

The metal trampoline won't affect Home Lock - that's based on getting satellite reception, but it might (not will, might) affect a compass calibration if you're too close. If you want to calibrate there then I'd move it more than 15ft away from the trampoline, calibrate, move to your take-off point (if different) and power-cycle, then when you've got a lock I'd hover it at just above head height for a good 60 seconds and watch how it behaves. If it's a nice solid hover without any circling behaviour then you're probably ok. If you do get a good calibration and all is going well then I'd personally avoid calibrating again unless you need to (i.e. the aircraft asks for one or it exhibits drifting behaviour, or go to to somewhere completely new to fly). Of course others may be of the opinion that it will be no problem at all. Unfortunately there's only one way to find out, and having nearly had one get away from me due to calibrating too close to something metal I will always advise caution based on my experience. Your mileage may vary!

Pull_Up said:
having nearly had one get away from me due to calibrating too close to something metal I will always advise caution based on my experience. Your mileage may vary!

+1

I couldn't calibrate this weekend and was 300 miles from home. It flew and I got the pictures but it was not stable - it was swimming around quite a bit. I couldn't calibrate because of all the junk in the area (country fairgrounds are absolute nightmares for a compass - more junk, cables, light towers, and power around than you can shake a stick at).

I've noticed on a new machine that I have to calibrate in the assistant at least one more time after I get a good compass calibration to make it as stable as I want.

can anyone till me if i put the U.FL to RP-SMA Connectors with two 6dbi antennas: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DP6 ... UTF8&psc=1) by itself on my wifi extender will give me more range, or do i need to put one on my tx also?

if it will work on just the wifi extender how much more range do you think i'll get? (the guy in the youtube video didn't comment on the 6dbi. just the 5, 8 etc.)

and if i put it on both, the tx and wifi extender, how much more range do you think i'll get then?

http://youtu.be/aEHzDi4hHKU

phantompilots.com using tradecraftcases.com certrificate, and causing problems

I think this is because when I'll email notification some of them will give an https URL, like:

"If you want to view the newest post made since your last visit, click the
following link:
https://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php ... 7&e=131487"

I'll suggest "https" will be replaced by "http" in notification messages.

Attachments

• phantompilots_certificate.JPG
    phantompilots_certificate.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 505
I read somewhere that water, like the ocean, interferes with your signal. Can anyone tell me if this is true. I'm headed to the beach this weekend to test my phantom in open air on a beach. Someone please tell me if I'm wasting my time by doing this and I should stick to farm land

neoneo said:
I read somewhere that water, like the ocean, interferes with your signal. Can anyone tell me if this is true. I'm headed to the beach this weekend to test my phantom in open air on a beach. Someone please tell me if I'm wasting my time by doing this and I should stick to farm land

Boat launches can be tough (because they are moving, your takeoff point changes, the boat has too much metal to align the compass reliably, failsafe will end up in the drink, etc) some have still done it. I wouldn't.

Other than that, there are about 18 gazillion movies on YouTube and Vimeo with nice ocean shots - including over water and very low. So... I wouldn't worry about it. Do an alignment before you fly and be sure all the goodies are doing what they are supposed to do (GPS, ATTI, Failsafe all work) and press on.

Just remember that the same proportional number of Phantoms do emergency landing/crashes over water as on land so you do have a risk of losing the whole aircraft if it falls. That is an obvious statement but wanted to be sure I said it - salt water will destroy your aircraft.

Yep, other than the "dropping into 100-1000ft deep water" risk, salt corrosion will make a dip a total loss even if you immediately recover the craft. I do ocean flights all the time, and I've come to grips more than most folks that every flight may be my last. Fortunately, it hasn't been the case (yet).

When you're talking about interference, most of what I've heard is about potential multipath interference to FPV equipment while flying over the water. I can't say I've noticed anything, though I can say that my wide-open LOS ocean flights are not my record distances (curiously I get more range in the local park in my RF-saturated densely-populated suburban neighborhood).

ElGuano said:
When you're talking about interference, most of what I've heard is about potential multipath interference to FPV equipment while flying over the water.

A helical will fix bounced signals - they bounce out at the opposite polarity and are scrubbed fairly effectively. For that matter, any circular polarized antenna set should work (but the helical will have the most rejection).

ElGuano said:
Yep, other than the "dropping into 100-1000ft deep water" risk, salt corrosion will make a dip a total loss even if you immediately recover the craft. I do ocean flights all the time, and I've come to grips more than most folks that every flight may be my last. Fortunately, it hasn't been the case (yet).

When you're talking about interference, most of what I've heard is about potential multipath interference to FPV equipment while flying over the water. I can't say I've noticed anything, though I can say that my wide-open LOS ocean flights are not my record distances (curiously I get more range in the local park in my RF-saturated densely-populated suburban neighborhood).
Thanks you guys. O can someone tell me what LOS stands for

neoneo said:
Will fpv mode give u more range. I've never tried fpv mode a I heard it would

A fellow Jersey Boy....I grew up in Passaic.

Using a FPV setup with the iOSD will give you more range to fly because even though you can't see it, you would know where you are at and if it's flying towards you or away from you and how high. Just keep in mind that it will depends on the FPV system that you have as to how far up and out you can go and how much interferance is between you and your quad/hexacopter. Also throw into the mix your radio's range.

neoneo said:

I think you may be referring to "fpv mode" on the gimbal (I believe the H3-3D and P2V+ both have that feature, but I could be wrong). If so, then that has no bearing on range, it's just a setting that changes how the gimbal behaves/moves.

If you're talking about using FPV equipment in general, that won't increase the range on its own, but as Fangs points out adding an OSD can make it easier for you to control when outside visual range.

OI Photography said:
neoneo said:

I think you may be referring to "fpv mode" on the gimbal (I believe the H3-3D and P2V+ both have that feature, but I could be wrong). If so, then that has no bearing on range, it's just a setting that changes how the gimbal behaves/moves.

If you're talking about using FPV equipment in general, that won't increase the range on its own, but as Fangs points out adding an OSD can make it easier for you to control when outside visual range.

The new H3-D3 has FPV Mode?? That would be so cool.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT