Gatwick airport closed due drone reported in area

You mean DJI? I think that they care far more about advancing the technology and making money than trying to acquire personal information, but it's not that difficult to avoid sending them any data if you still have concerns.
Making money proabably as the primary intent (with long term survival). The tech advances of major significance seem to all come from external suppliers.

Really? I think that the integration and firmware comprises the major advances.
So you don’t think Texas Instruments and intel could combine forces to create something as good or better (with the exception of making it cheaply)? Of course they could.

Given the whole episode was primarily based on pubic sightings, then I suspect it was all complete fantasy. Bit like the Government just announcing that just four days after the events, that "detection systems are now able to be deployed throughout the UK to combat the threat of drones"... Yeah... right... of course they do...

I've never understood the allure of conspiracy theories - they are generally completely devoid of logic. It's depressing that people actually believe this kind of nonsense.
Do you believe instead the logic of closing a major airport for days like that when there is already technology to disable drones once spotted. The drones aren’t going up once Airport is closed, you want it open so you can catch them if it was actually all true. About conspiracy theories did you also know that the couple who they arrested and destroyed their lives over the media were released without being charged. They’ve realized that they didn’t do it. Perhaps it was a temporary diversion from those who had a conspiracy theory

Reactions: Numone
Do you believe instead the logic of closing a major airport for days like that when there is already technology to disable drones once spotted. The drones aren’t going up once Airport is closed, you want it open so you can catch them if it was actually all true. About conspiracy theories did you also know that the couple who they arrested and destroyed their lives over the media were released without being charged. They’ve realized that they didn’t do it. Perhaps it was a temporary diversion from those who had a conspiracy theory

Outstanding. You are defending the original conspiracy theories with yet another one. And please stop desecrating the concept of "logic".

Reactions: With The Birds
Sorry, what? So you think they'd've risked opening the airport to temp the "drones" back in the air? Wow... you should've been in charge.
Yeah, their lives are utterly destroyed, poor ol' sods.... so much so they got all their relations and neighbours tight in shot and right behind them - literally - live, on Sky TV so they could tell everyone how awful Christmas and their lives were now going to be, and having to have "medical treatment" (eh, what?) cos they've been invaded by the media... y'know... the ones videoing them... live.... oh and paying them of course....

The BBC is out of control ..
IMG_0108.jpg

this is the latest statement from the Pilots - get ready for a Government 'knee jerk' reaction any time now :-(

Pilots' association: 'The new laws don't go far enough'
Brian Strutton, General Secretary of the British Airline Pilots' Association (BALPA) told the BBC:
"We have been working closely with the Department for Transport on these issues, and we were pleased to see new drone laws put in place earlier this year, but we said they do not go far enough. The Government was clear to BALPA that they were open to extending the 1km exclusion zone, and it is now obvious that must happen urgently. BALPA is calling for a 5km exclusion zone.
"This incident also reinforces the need for registration of drones and licensing of operators so that the police can track and trace drones which are being flown dangerously or irresponsibly and for the industry to invest in technology which can detect drones and stop them from being flown near airports and aircraft."
Yeah and Registering Guns has stopped Gun Violence...DUH! lock the violators up for LIFE!!! so they can't share their ideas and crimes with outsiders...

Sure, that will work great! And just think, all the dishonest drone operators and potential troublemakers will happily obey any new law that might impose on them. Look back at gjun registration and how it has reduced crime!!! (just kidding before I get bad comments)

Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF

So you don’t think Texas Instruments and intel could combine forces to create something as good or better (with the exception of making it cheaply)? Of course they could.

Intel has already done drone swarm work that DJI isn't even thinking about as best I can tell, but it will be hard for anyone to unseat DJI at the top of the consumer drone space. I'd wager that Intel and the other large tech companies (Google, Amazon, etc) have there sights set a bit above the consumer market. The problem the large tech companies have is: DJI is developing a technology base from which they to can expand into the commercial and military/police markets and having the huge volume of there consumer market allows them to spread development costs over far more units making the per unit costs much less. Additionally, large companies tend to abandon markets where they can't get more than, say, a 15% ROI with GE being the poster child for this practice.

I'd guess that 10 years from now there will be two markets: the military and everything else. The military market will have a number of big players from the major aerospace companies in partnership with companies like Intel. For everything else there will be several Chinese companies dominated by DJI. There maybe a small market in between the two for police work and that market might prefer to not have a Chinese company involved, but going that route will be much more expensive.

Brian

Paul Motts, 52, spotted the man “in his 30s and in hi-vis clothing” in a country lane four miles from the runway.
Paul told The Sun: “I was delivering a parcel and drove past a suspicious man in fluorescent cycling gear crouching over a large drone which was all lit up.
It was a big thing with lights on its arms and roughly 4ft across.
He had a smaller drone, about 2ft across, next to him.
He was leaning over and doing something to it. He was totally focused and did not look up when I drove past.
It looked like he was packing the drones away. Two minutes later we turned around and came across him cycling away.
I expect he wanted to disassemble the drone as quickly as possible and get away as fast as he could.
It was pretty weird considering what had happened at the airport during the day.”

Uh-huh .. Two drones, one of them 4ft across, and the villain is carrying them on a bicycle? OK
That's highly suspicious
The report is what's suspicious, not the alleged evil drone cyclist 4 miles from the airport.
What ever happened to Mr Motts' dubious cycling drone villain?

Particularly the psychology of suggestion and mass hysteria?

So he was seen packing up a 4ft drone and a 2ft drone and then was seen cycling away. Am I to assume with said 4ft and 2ft drone on his back? Seems a little far-fetched to me. Typical of The Sun really.

Intel has already done drone swarm work that DJI isn't even thinking about as best I can tell, but it will be hard for anyone to unseat DJI at the top of the consumer drone space. I'd wager that Intel and the other large tech companies (Google, Amazon, etc) have there sights set a bit above the consumer market. The problem the large tech companies have is: DJI is developing a technology base from which they to can expand into the commercial and military/police markets and having the huge volume of there consumer market allows them to spread development costs over far more units making the per unit costs much less. Additionally, large companies tend to abandon markets where they can't get more than, say, a 15% ROI with GE being the poster child for this practice.

I'd guess that 10 years from now there will be two markets: the military and everything else. The military market will have a number of big players from the major aerospace companies in partnership with companies like Intel. For everything else there will be several Chinese companies dominated by DJI. There maybe a small market in between the two for police work and that market might prefer to not have a Chinese company involved, but going that route will be much more expensive.

Brian
I wasn’t suggesting another entity might come in now and “unseat” DJI. The suggestion was simply that DJI aren’t the only entity who might produce a product with the current functionality. It is well known that the propulsion, navigation, obstacle avoidance, power and imaging systems and associated hardware are all bought in from external suppliers. DJI are very good at packaging and the software side is mature however there are obviously existing entities who could produce something better. Whether they might compete commercially, especially in the hobby market is a seperate question.

Brian
DJI uses the Intel drone swarm in the Tello EDU.

You mean DJI? I think that they care far more about advancing the technology and making money than trying to acquire personal information, but it's not that difficult to avoid sending them any data if you still have concerns.
It is easy to argue that for DJI et al to continue making money, they will be forced to advance the technology and kowtow to certain, um, administrative concerns for aviation safety. Some of us have noticed that in the zeal to implement things like homeland security here in the 'States (and possibly elsewhere), our constitutional rights have not just been trampled but given up with surprisingly little complaint.

Of course it's all fairly harmless until some idiot decides to "swat" you.

It is worth noting that there are thousands of people in prison who are indeed innocent, stuck in hell because they couldn't afford better representation and because once the police think they have their "perp" (the word suspect is conspicuously missing from their lexicon), they stop looking for the actual perpetrator(s) and start hiding exculpatory evidence. Summary: The best contact with law enforcement is no contact with law enforcement.

Given the whole episode was primarily based on pubic sightings, then I suspect it was all complete fantasy. Bit like the Government just announcing that just four days after the events, that "detection systems are now able to be deployed throughout the UK to combat the threat of drones"... Yeah... right... of course they do...
I'm the last person to sink his teeth into anything that could remotely be labeled as a conspiracy theory. But right now something stinks.

I'm perfectly happy to sit here and munch on the proverbial popcorn right now. I won't jump to any conclusions. But this is starting to seem very wag the dog-ish to me. I hope to be proven wrong.

Reactions: Numone and DR.B
Given the whole episode was primarily based on pubic sightings, then I suspect it was all complete fantasy.

This is simply untrue.

As I've said above, I know that at least 10 different police officers (five on Wednesday night and five during Thursday), airport security staff, a captain/pilot of an airplane waiting to take off, and other airport professionals all reported a drone or drones over the airfield. (And there will be others that I don't know about.) Yes, there were also sightings reported by passengers and the general public arriving/departing Gatwick - as would surely be expected - but this doesn't exactly add up to "the whole episode was primarily based on public sights".

"Get your facts right first, then you can distort them as you please." Mark Twain.

"Opinion resides somewhere between knowledge and ignorance." Plato.

"Opinion is a chaos of superstition, misinformation, and prejudice." Gore Vidal.

"People do not seem to realise that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character." Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Last edited:
This is simply untrue.

As I've said above, I know that at least 10 different police officers (five on Wednesday night and five during Thursday), airport security staff, a captain/pilot of an airplane waiting to take off, and other airport professionals all reported a drone or drones over the airfield. (And there will be others that I don't know about.) Yes, there were also sightings reported by passengers and the general public arriving/departing Gatwick - as would surely be expected - but this doesn't exactly add up to "the whole episode was primarily based on public sights".

"Get your facts right first, then you can distort them as you please." Mark Twain.
That’s a beauty from Twain, not one I had heard... One of my favourites has always been “It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt”....

Sorry, what? So you think they'd've risked opening the airport to temp the "drones" back in the air? Wow... you should've been in charge.
Yeah, their lives are utterly destroyed, poor ol' sods.... so much so they got all their relations and neighbours tight in shot and right behind them - literally - live, on Sky TV so they could tell everyone how awful Christmas and their lives were now going to be, and having to have "medical treatment" (eh, what?) cos they've been invaded by the media... y'know... the ones videoing them... live.... oh and paying them of course....

To the extent you might have the capability of doing so try and put yourself in their position, even briefly.... Having the authorities go through your house, being detained, subject to interrogation and false accusations while the whole world is watching.... you probably have no idea what your are talking about- that’s how it seems.

Reactions: Ron Dobson

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj