Gatwick airport closed due drone reported in area

Just shaking my head.....

Reactions: ctsti
It sounds like this is some kind of organized protest vs. just some hobbyists out flying drones where they shouldn’t.

Reactions: Gazp1974
The UK's second-busiest airport. Inbound flights diverted and outward flights cancelled. Thousands of people facing serious disruption. It's the first news story on the morning TV news - not helped by the fact the airport has been closed for a second time 45 minutes after it reopened. Yes, you've got it - more drones reported.

As at 8.00am (Thursday), there is still at least one drone above the airfield according to the head of Gatwick. There are 20+ police officers around the Gatwick airport area looking for the drone pilot. There is no doubt that this is a deliberate act to cause on-going disruption which has now lasted 11 hours.

Gatwick's CEO says that 10,000 passengers were disrupted last night - so excluding the huge disruption of passengers this morning. That was 2,000 passengers unable to fly out of Gatwick, 6,000 passengers up in the air who were redirected to other airports, and 2,000 passengers who were unable to leave a country inbound for the UK. Plus all the friends and relatives waiting at Gatwick to meet passengers who landed in a different part of the UK.

As someone who frequently does long-haul flights, the last thing you need is a major disruption.

And then there's the cost, which is huge, as Thousandyard has just said above.

It's now almost midday and Gatwick is still at a complete standstill. The Christmas getaway is one of the busiest times of the year, with schools having just broken up yesterday.

Thank goodness terrorists are usually unimaginative and somewhat restricted with regards to brain activity, otherwise they could frequently bring a country's aviation to a halt for the price of a few drones.

Reactions: Dronerr Parts
It's now almost midday and Gatwick is still at a complete standstill. The Christmas getaway is one of the busiest times of the year, with schools having just broken up yesterday.

Thank goodness terrorists are usually unimaginative and somewhat restricted with regards to brain activity, otherwise they could frequently bring a country's aviation to a halt for the price of a few drones.
This is terrible news

Can I ask if these “drones” are DJI manufactured, or any other well known brand ? If so, where is the Geo fencing around one of the busiest airports? Is the a protest or just morons playing up. Giving us all a bad name. The CAA isn’t going to like this.

There are hundreds of manufacturers and thousandsof home made drones. If they have RTH, RAF can just jam the signal and force RTH. Then is a simple follow the yellow brick road to the pilot.

There are hundreds of manufacturers and thousandsof home made drones. If they have RTH, RAF can just jam the signal and force RTH. Then is a simple follow the yellow brick road to the pilot.

I’m sorry but if it was that easy they would of done it hours ago. [emoji85]

Reactions: shegeek72
Didn't this happen last year or early this year as well? I remember hearing about this before. It looks really bad that this has occurred for so long. A few minutes I could understand but hours and hours?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj