Garmin GTU-10 Tracker Discontinued and limited lifespan

it might be different for you over there. The problem isn't with garmin but with AT&T. These run off a 2G network and since the only people still using 2G are garmin and "help I've fallen and I can't get up" devices, its not worth keeping 2G up and running. Maybe you have more 2G people in the UK or perhaps its running on a different network there. You might still have them working through 2015 and longer.

Mine is working great and with the free one year subscription, it was a great deal for the refurbished.

good to hear KSC

It really is too bad they are being discontinued, you can't beat their size, price and function. There is a certain "good feeling" I get buying a product that comes from a company like Garmin. The iOS app that goes with the GTU is also great IMO.

I suspect that by 2015, someone will have something similar....at least I hope!

ClydeDale said:
BigPig said:
http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=128

Looks like a good alternative. What has your experience been?

Allen

Looks like a good alternative for remote areas not covered by 2G GSM networks, however at the sacrifice of unit size (2"x2.7") and apparently slow response time (based on the reviews i've read)

BigPig said:
ClydeDale said:
BigPig said:
http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=128

Looks like a good alternative. What has your experience been?

Allen

Still trying to decide. I'll probably pick one up though.

Do they user Iridium satellite network?

I have a delorme inreach communicator that uses Iridium that I use for hiking\trekking. They work, but really slow, and it needs clear sky (or just takes awhile to get green light and send messages)

LeoS said:

I have a delorme inreach communicator that uses Iridium that I use for hiking\trekking. They work, but really slow, and it needs clear sky (or just takes awhile to get green light and send messages)

Spot uses the Globalstar network.

I'm thinking about getting a Delorme inReach communicator for personal use... how do you like yours?

PitStop said:
LeoS said:

Spot uses the Globalstar network.

I'm thinking about getting a Delorme inReach communicator for personal use... how do you like yours?

Well, when you're up in the mountain with no cell signal, then it could be a lifesaver :)

I have the Inreach Smartphone (http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-i ... tphone.php) that I could pair with my iPhone. It can send email and text via satellite, but like I said, it's really slow so it's not suitable for realtime chatting. I use it to report my position (upon reaching camp, etc) to family members.

I've used it in OZ, NZ, Singapore and Indonesia and the coverage is good around that area. You can program preset messages to be sent via the device (without needing a smartphone) and activating the SOS signal also does not need a smartphone. So that's how I use mine for the most part because it's quicker and more convenient.

I don't use its tracking or navigation function, since I use my smartphone for those.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20