Garmin GTU-10 Tracker Arrived Today!

no that really doesn't help.
let me rephrase To better help you grasp what I'm asking:
suppose after a crash I ask it where it is. But it no longer has a GPS receiver signal.
How old is the last GPS fix it has? Is it the one it had last time it send something to the cell tower, or is it something fresher that it's stored internally while it still had the GPS signal?

lesdit said:
no that really doesn't help.
let me rephrase To better help you grasp what I'm asking:
suppose after a crash I ask it where it is. But it no longer has a GPS receiver signal.
How old is the last GPS fix it has? Is it the one it had last time it send something to the cell tower, or is it something fresher that it's stored internally while it still had the GPS signal?

I do know that if it is powered off, it will log that that location and time. You can even have it send you a e-mail that it's been powered off. I dont know in a crash if power loss would be the same as powering off by the button.

From what I understand, if it loses satellite signal, it then try's to locate through cell towers (which may be slightly less accurate than gps). If it cannot get either one, it will be the last reported location before signal loss, and could'nt be contacted or continue reporting until a signal is found again.

Mine reports its location even when in doors. I live in a Traditional Austrian house with two storeys above my office with walls between 500 and 1000mm thick depending where it is.

The system does notify the battery state and if the unit is going to shut down due to battery or signal is loss.

Well, I ordered one so I'll find out soon.

As far as mounting it to the quad, I think having it stuck to the side might be good. This way the GPS antenna faces more towards the sky ( pointing down is the worst , is it not ? ) and after a fly away, there is more chance that it will still be sideways because it's unlikely the quad will be balancing on it's edge . What do you think ?

lesdit said:
As far as mounting it to the quad, I think having it stuck to the side might be good. This way the GPS antenna faces more towards the sky ( pointing down is the worst , is it not ? ) and after a fly away, there is more chance that it will still be sideways because it's unlikely the quad will be balancing on it's edge . What do you think ?

I'm new to the Garmin 10, but I've used around consumer GPS devices since dirt was invented, and my opinion is that you don't need to worry about the exact positioning of the unit on the Phantom. I just want mine to be securely attached and out of the way of stuff like the GoPro mount and my gimbal to be.

Every GPS will say in the directions that it needs a clear view of the sky, and that is most certainly optimum, but not always necessary for them to function quite well. As All In Austria pointed out, his will report it's location indoors, two stories down, inside of fairly thick walls. That's typical for today's GPS device's capabilities. The first test I did with my Garmin 10 was to take a trip to the store with it inside my camcorder case and inside the trunk of my car, and it later showed a string of locations on the report that exactly matched the path I took. It even tracked me inside the store, although less accurately. However, it was at all times accurate enough for me to find my quad or my dog if they had gone astray.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet, but that I think is really important features of the Garmin GTU-10 are the Android and IOS apps that work with it. I have both, and either one of them would work really well in the field to hunt down the Garmin if need be.

Again, I wouldn't fret over how to position the unit. Remember, as Botbum indicated, you don't need a disaster with your Phantom to have fun with it. You enjoy reliving your flights by going over the saved tracks of the Phantom, or yourself when you go places. However, if you should decide to do crash tests with different mounting configurations, don't forget to take lots of video!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik