Garmin GTU-10 Tracker Discontinued and limited lifespan

Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know what I found out shortly after purchasing a refurbished device from amazon. Garmin has discontinued the GTU-10 tracker that many people have installed on their phantom in the event of a flyaway. Apparently Garmin will not be releasing a similar unit to replace it either. Here is the explanation I received back from Garmin...

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

The AT&T network that the devices relies upon to operate is being brought down over the next 3-4 years. At this time, we have not announced any sort of replacement, and I am not aware of any plans to.

With Best Regards,
Customer Care - Mobile Team
Garmin International

Well, A couple of years is good to me for $100 insurance and even if I have to pay $50 next year to renew, that's fine. Hopefully by then we will have moved along from this issue of needing this.

I agree, unfortunately they wont even allow me to activate the unit that I purchased.

PitStop said:
I agree, unfortunately they wont even allow me to activate the unit that I purchased.

Really? I just bought mine a few weeks ago on Amazon and it activated just fine. Wonder what the deal is there? I think mine was refurbished. I paid $120 or so for it. I'd send it back if you can't use it though.

Here's my link to what I bought based on my account.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HFRA7A/ref=ox_ya_os_product

also, the link clearly says "1 year of service included"

It does not distinguish that within specific types such as new or refurbished.

marcus_canada said:
meh... Just get one of these.. I managed to get mine for $35 but even at 45 or 55 it's bargain. Works mint and you don't need to tie yourself to any stupid service contract or whatever. Stuck a pay-as-you-go sim in mine and been tracking my quad/wife/kids ever since

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Realtime-Spy...81?pt=US_Tracking_Devices&hash=item19e6f86f39

Your response isn't very considerate of the problem here. He spent money on something he can't use so buying something else wouldn't be my first idea.

Davek said:
Your response isn't very considerate of the problem here. He spent money on something he can't use so buying something else wouldn't be my first idea.

And he can send it back for a refund as you suggested. Problem solved. Marcus offered a solution to the problem of not being able to use the garmin anymore. Pitstop wasn't looking for sympathy, he was informing the group of the situation. Sounds like you're a little too sensitive of an issue that you're not involved in.

Eaaaasy gentleman... and thank you for all of the responses. I should have added this in my first post, this is the first email that I received from them:

"Unfortunately the GTU 10 has been discontinued, and can no longer be activated. We stopped selling it completely at the beginning of this year, and stores that still have remaining supply would have, or should have, contacted us to buy back old stock. Please return the device to the company from which it was purchased for a refund."

The unit that I purchased was also described as "refurbished" (ordered from amazon). It was apparent that it had been activated by a previous owner because it alerted me that the one year trial had expired when I registered it. This prompted me to email Garmin customer service and the informed me of what I posted previously.

I went ahead and ordered another refurbished unit that I received and successfully activated today with no problem.

Ill be able to return the first one with a 100% refund also (love amazon)

I just purchased a refurbished unit and had no problem activating it with the free one year included. I have been testing it and works fine, getting updates automatically and on-demand.

Davek said:
Sorry, as KSC kindly pointed out, I wasn't trying to be a disturber. The Garmin is out of action so I was merely pointing out that there are other, cheaper options. It isn't all doom and gloom.

rmklaw said:
I just purchased a refurbished unit and had no problem activating it with the free one year included. I have been testing it and works fine, getting updates automatically and on-demand.

Did you get yours at Amazon too? If so, do you remember which vendor fulfilled the order? (I've seen at least 2 different ones with the refurb units). Same question to PitStop and Davek. It sounds like one of them might have some that were returned and repaired before they were even activated initially.

I still can't decide between the Garmin and the one Marcus linked and I may just order both to test...I just want to know which vendor(s) at Amazon to use or avoid.

OI Photography said:
rmklaw said:

Did you get yours at Amazon too? If so, do you remember which vendor fulfilled the order? (I've seen at least 2 different ones with the refurb units). Same question to PitStop and Davek. It sounds like one of them might have some that were returned and repaired before they were even activated initially.

I still can't decide between the Garmin and the one Marcus linked and I may just order both to test...I just want to know which vendor(s) at Amazon to use or avoid.

The first one that I ordered, that was previously activated and the trial period was expired, was fulfilled by "The Electron Zone" ... $113. Note* this one arrived in a generic Garmin box, not original packaging

The second one, that I am now using, came in original packaging and was fulfilled by "Prime Deal"... $119

PitStop said:
The first one that I ordered, that was previously activated and the trial period was expired, was fulfilled by "The Electron Zone" ... $113. Note* this one arrived in a generic Garmin box, not original packaging

The second one, that I am now using, came in original packaging and was fulfilled by "Prime Deal"... $119

Thank you!

For those of you who have yet to buy one of these, I purchased 10 from Amazon through the seller prime deals. 6 had no issues and were able to be registered with a problem. 4 were expired. I called Garmin and the rep told me I could buy a subscription and get it credited back. So I did. 4 subscriptions for $45 a piece and he refunded the purchase and I'll see the credit on my amex later. I asked if instead of the refund, if he could extend my service and he said they are coming offline on Jan 1st of 2015 he can't extend services past that date and informed me I wouldn't even get a full year but just a few days shy. No problem. So I suggest purchasing them now if you want to get one. Otherwise get one of these (which is probably what we will all have to get as of 2015): http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Realtime-Spy-Car ... 19e6f86f39

Ksc said:
For those of you who have yet to buy one of these, I purchased 10 from Amazon through the seller prime deals. 6 had no issues and were able to be registered with a problem. 4 were expired. I called Garmin and the rep told me I could buy a subscription and get it credited back. So I did. 4 subscriptions for $45 a piece and he refunded the purchase and I'll see the credit on my amex later. I asked if instead of the refund, if he could extend my service and he said they are coming offline on Jan 1st of 2015 he can't extend services past that date and informed me I wouldn't even get a full year but just a few days shy. No problem. So I suggest purchasing them now if you want to get one. Otherwise get one of these (which is probably what we will all have to get as of 2015): http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Realtime-Spy-Car ... 19e6f86f39

Thanks Ksc! Do you know for a fact that particular ebay listing is for the actual TK102B (not one of the other TK102 models)? I know it says it is but I'd prefer to order from one that's known to ship the correct model.

Davek said:
I can't help asking but why you do you need 10 of these?

4 quads, 2 dogs, 2 cars, 2 motorcycles

OI Photography said:
Thanks Ksc! Do you know for a fact that particular ebay listing is for the actual TK102B (not one of the other TK102 models)? I know it says it is but I'd prefer to order from one that's known to ship the correct model.

that is a question for Marcus.

I have to say that on hearing this news, I'm pretty hacked off. When I bought mine, I had a couple of issues with 2 and had to return them to the shop for a refund. I went through Garmin UK, to try and sort the issues out and I asked them if this unit was going to be replaced or discontinued and they said No. So as you might understand, I'm pretty disappointed, in finding out the unit I paid big bucks for, will be bricked come 2015. :x

Nice one Garmin.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.