Garmin GLO GPS advice needed

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have a Phantom 4 with current firmware and I purchased a IPAD mini 4 without GPS installed, and had to go buy a Garmin GLO GPS unit.. I have searched the net but can only find small tuts which do not go into detail how to correctly set up. I have no Idea what steps I need to do to make it work? Bluetooth is working and I think the GPS has a connetion with my Ipad because it says device connected in my setting on the IPAD "Garmin GLO #c5a57 CONNECTED" but when I turn on RC controller and go into DJI GO app and look for the GPS connection it is not there. I must be doing something wrong..Is there a fully detailed step by step explaining any software needed or steps tp take to successfully install the Garmin GLO
Thanks to any body that replies
cistec

Hi Guys

I have a Phantom 4 with current firmware and I purchased a IPAD mini 4 without GPS installed, and had to go buy a Garmin GLO GPS unit.
The Phantom has it's own GPS unit and uses that for all normal flight.
You only require a GPS enabled tablet if you want to try follow-me flying or to reset the homepoint to the current location of the controller (only usefull if you are moving a lot like on a moving boat etc)

The Phantom has it's own GPS unit and uses that for all normal flight.
You only require a GPS enabled tablet if you want to try follow-me flying or to reset the homepoint to the current location of the controller (only usefull if you are moving a lot like on a moving boat etc)
Hi

Thanks for the reply...I understand what your saying and know that the 4 has its own GPS. I should have been more specfic as to why I wanted the GPS model in the first place and it is for that reasons you mentioned follow me and homepoint (moving object like a boat or motor home ect. So can you help?

cistec

The tablet's GPS doesn't show up anywhere in the GO app...Have you tried actuating Follow Me to see if it's working?

Open up Google Maps or Apple Maps and click on the GPS triangle/arrow that should be on the screen. That'll tell you if your iPad is getting the GPS data.

SB

Open up Google Maps or Apple Maps and click on the GPS triangle/arrow that should be on the screen. That'll tell you if your iPad is getting the GPS data.

SB
Hi

Thanks for the reply, I will tell you what I have done in the settings.

*Turn off Wifi
* Location Services On
*Aeroplane Mode Off
*Turn On Bluetooth
*Turn On Garmin GLO and paired both IPAD and GPS (connected) GOOD

I then opened Maps from my IPAD and saw my home location ACTIVE marker pulsating which means I was getting a signal ..GREAT! Then I downloaded a app called GPS Diagnostics to check if I was getting satellite connection from my Garmin GLO and the GLO showed a strong 75% connection to a few satellites looking promising!!

I then did a distance test to see if the GPS would change my location marker to make sure it was working..I went about 20 kilometers and it tracked me all the way..which means the GPS is working in ref to location markers...BUT when I punch in a search location area on maps nothing happens! as if the maps are not linked to the GPS but when I turn Wifi back on and go Google maps WHAM! it is a instant find with no problem??? Should the Garmin GLO GPS do the same as Wifi/Google maps or is it just a location maker??? it says and shows in the advertising it does all the things that Wifi/Google does with maps.

Am i doing something wrong? any advice is more than welcome..All this to get access follow-me flying or to reset the homepoint to the current location of the controller allow me to change on the move.

I would also like to know if I need to purchase a Australian map to upload on my Mini IPAD or Garmin GLO device for it to work? or does it already come preloaded?? sorry but this is the first time I have gone GPS portable device.

Cheers

cistec

Last edited:
Hi this thread is quite old and I have sourced the information since but thank you for your imput.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic