Gannett Bait drop

Reaction score
I am relatively new pilot, and love fishing so I've been looking for a easy to use and easy installation Bait drop system. The gannet system looking pretty good. Has anyone used there drone for fishing? If so what did you use for Bait drop?

I don't have any information for you, but I'm replying so I will get notification when someone replies. I am hoping you get some good information on this topic.

Reactions: The Texan
I live in Michigan where using drones for hunting and fishing is outlawed, as is harassing hunters or fishermen with a drone outlawed.

Which Phantom?

I use my 3 with the Gannett bait drop and never failed me yet. I'm usually flying my line out 300 yards.

I've stuck with the Gannett because I do not need something pulling down on my drone just to release the bait. Even using the wire hanger and ring to slide off there is always the chance it will cause more tension on your drone.

My fishing partner uses a clip and just locks down his reel to release. But the amount the drone bounces just to release the bait makes me real uneasy.

My only suggestion is make the line from your fishing rig to your drone as long as possible. I make mine around 20ft. I tried with the weight close to the drone and it pulled the drone all over the place.

Good info I feel the same way as you on the idea of anything pulling on my drone to release the bait. I'm nervous enough just sending the drone out over the water.

I have never fished with my Phantom 4 but I often use it to fly parachute cord over a tall tree or tower side arm. I then use this parachute cord to pull my heavier wire antennas up to that level. To do this, I simply attached a 12 inch wooden dowel to one of the landing gear runners with tape or cable ties, allowing about six inches to extend forward and parallel to the ground. I tie a small weight on the end of the cord and then make a loop up the cord about 4 feet to loop over the dowel. I hover the Phantom 4 just out of prop range and loop the line over the dowel and by keeping slight rearward tension on the line, fly the drone carefully to the highest point needed, then fly on over the limb or cross arm pulling the line with the drone. The Phantom 4 does amazingly well at this with only slight strain on the motors noted. Once I get the weighted line to the desired distance over the limb, I simply yaw the drone 180 degrees to drop the line and weight. One might note that the weighted line hangs well under the drone keeping it out of the propellers. This same arrangement should work well with fishing line and bait. I did practice this procedure several times in the open before attempting it around my tower or trees. It works great but is somewhat risky so be careful. Thanks to Chuck, N5VGK for the idea.
Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF

I have never fished with my Phantom 4 but I often use it to fly parachute cord over a tall tree or tower side arm. I then use this parachute cord to pull my heavier wire antennas up to that level. To do this, I simply attached a 12 inch wooden dowel to one of the landing gear runners with tape or cable ties, allowing about six inches to extend forward and parallel to the ground. I tie a small weight on the end of the cord and then make a loop up the cord about 4 feet to loop over the dowel. I hover the Phantom 4 just out of prop range and loop the line over the dowel and by keeping slight rearward tension on the line, fly the drone carefully to the highest point needed, then fly on over the limb or cross arm pulling the line with the drone. The Phantom 4 does amazingly well at this with only slight strain on the motors noted. Once I get the weighted line to the desired distance over the limb, I simply yaw the drone 180 degrees to drop the line and weight. One might note that the weighted line hangs well under the drone keeping it out of the propellers. This same arrangement should work well with fishing line and bait. I did practice this procedure several times in the open before attempting it around my tower or trees. It works great but is somewhat risky so be careful. Thanks to Chuck, N5VGK for the idea.
Thanks
Jim
WA5TEF
Now, that is a great idea. I kept thinking of some type of clip release, but a simple ring and stick to drop by reversing? Great idea.

CnTheUSA. Yep my method that I copied from a friend does work great. One caution, I just tie the weight onto the end of the line and crest a loop about four feet up the rope to loop over the dowel. By keeping the drone higher than the trailing line prevents it getting into the propellers and having the weight four feet under the drone keeps it clear and it does not swing too freely. Also if the pull of the line gets too strong the drone will start to yaw. That’s a sign to ease up on the forward thrust and/or allow slack on the line to prevent early dropping the line. It makes interesting video by positioning the camera to watch the line payout (position the dowel so the drone can be flown backwards) and then down to watch the line drop!

Enjoy but practice in the open first!!
Jim
WA5TEF

Thanks for all the input, all very good methods. I've decided to try the Gannett system just placed my order. Bull reds running here on the gulf coast..... Wish me luck [emoji476][emoji1071]

Reactions: dirkclod

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.