Gain adjustments after adding gibmal

Reaction score
Greetings

Added my gimbal and took out for my first flight today. wow it flies completely different. there is no stability, it rocks front to back.

when I try to take off, it just falls forward.

I am assuming this is due to a different weight structure on the unit due to the gimbal

How do I adjust the gains to balance this out???

I don't think that is the first thing I would look at. If I read what you are saying right. I would say you have a CG problem. Check your CG first. What I do is turn your bird upside down and place it on something like a book or I used my scale, where the propeller are not touching anything with the battery gimbal and camera in place. I bet it would show it to be nose heavy.

It that is the cash how do you deal with it

This is a Tarot gimbal that many people use on the phantom. Has anyone else had this issue?

Gain adjustments is kind of like blackmagic. You would use it to fine tune your bird to get the last little shake out your video and it might be what you wind up having to do. You are going to notice that your bird flies quit bit different than it did naked. All I am saying is if you are out of balance by very much it not going to fly very well. I'm talking from personal experience the first few flights I had my bird it was all over the place. Then I moved the gimbal back just a little bit and it flew better. It still flew like a brick but it flew better.

What you said in your post. I think I have seen that before.

Thanks. I reconnected to my computer Ans somehow the pitch gain was at 37%. I reset to defaults and it is massively better. Still needs some minor weeks

Now for the stupid question. If i wanted the unit to react a little slower in response to stick moves, how would i accomplish that?

It reacts very quicklY and i tend to overreact at the moment. Any suggestions?

Lower ATTI gains to make stick response slower.

Gain adjustments is not my expertise. What ever you do, do it in 5 to 10% increments, which is down most likely. Its like adjusting a carburetor on a car, find the sweet spot, then back off a little bit more. There is a good thread on this subject in this forum I just couldn't find it. Maybe you can or not. That thread show you how hook up your radio to adjust your gains. Personally I gave up on chasing gains and went back the factory settings.

dcoski said:
Gain adjustments is not my expertise. What ever you do, do it in 5 to 10% increments, which is down most likely. Its like adjusting a carburetor on a car, find the sweet spot, then back off a little bit more. There is a good thread on this subject in this forum I just couldn't find it. Maybe you can or not. That thread show you how hook up your radio to adjust your gains. Personally I gave up on chasing gains and went back the factory settings.

I found that thread.

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6817

In the NAZA software go to Basic/Mounting and put a negative number in for the X coordinate. The units are in cm. so try to determine how far forward your actual CG is from the geometric center of the Phantom.

I have a Tarot Gimbal with Gopro on mine and use X = -1. This won't fix the problem but helps a little. I tried -1 & -2 and didn't see much difference between the two, so I left it at -1.

Your best bet is to see if you can balance it better. Mount your A/V transmitter or other hang on equipment as far rearward as you can to offset the forward weight of the gimbal.

Also when lifting off give it full throttle at first and pull back a little on the right stick. Some have found that it has less tendency to tilt forward if you take off in ATTI mode.

I could never get the GPS mount offsets to do anything. I run my phantom at 999cm/-999cm/999cm. Seems to perform the same as 0/0/0.

I have a Tarot gimbal as well,, and with 8" props I run similar gains to stock. With 9" props I run 160/160/200/100, with 80/80 ATTI gains for slower stick response for smoother filming.

The best way to adjust your gains is to do so real-time, if you have the 7th channel lever installed.

Pitch forward on takeoff is normal with a front-heavy gimbal load, the best way to deal with that is to pop the phantom into the air quickly, don't try to take off top gently. The Naza, once in the air, will adjust to compensate for the COG difference and it will fly normally.

Thanks to you all for chatting with me on several topics. I am more excited about this hobby each time i fly

FPV is my next investment

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl