Futaba 8JA or 8FGS ?

Reaction score
So I was told about getting a Futaba for the Phantom, there`s two options:

Futaba 8JA 8-Channel 2.4GHz S-FHSS Air Radio System w/ R2008SB Receiver FUTK8100 $249.95

Futaba 8FGS 8FGA 8FG Airplane Version 2.4ghz Fasst RC Transmitter $359.99

Why get the $359.99 one when I can buy a $249.95 one? does the phantom work with the lower priced one too? please advice.

ALSO: which receiver to buy for it?

$(KGrHqJHJEkFBjRBmT29BQdclYMktw~~60_12.JPG

Could't really answer that,perhaps someone with the 8FGS can answer that.
tho the 8FG apparently has 14 channels . which could come in handy if you ever upgrade to a way bigger copter with retracts,etc

I just ordered the T8J after watching some set up videos on Youtube.. 14 channels would be nice, but using the S Bus there is no need..

Craig

I went with the 8fgs when between the 2 more for future use, I wont need to upgrade the radio again for quite a while. The 8fgs also uses the newer fasstest tech over the fasst on the 8j. Also the 8j doesnt have a metal support bar so its harder to mount a lcd screen on the 8j. Very happy with the 8fgs and the extra channels are great for controlling a gimbal and using sbus doesnt make any difference between a 8 or 14 channel radio. They can both use it but with the 14 channel you have more channels to play with.

martcerv said:
I went with the 8fgs when between the 2 more for future use, I wont need to upgrade the radio again for quite a while. The 8fgs also uses the newer fasstest tech over the fasst on the 8j. Also the 8j doesnt have a metal support bar so its harder to mount a lcd screen on the 8j. Very happy with the 8fgs and the extra channels are great for controlling a gimbal and using sbus doesnt make any difference between a 8 or 14 channel radio. They can both use it but with the 14 channel you have more channels to play with.

^^ what he said :)

I can't wait to get my 8FG, been eyeing it off since the day I bought the phantom, the extra channels and ability to use on multiple crafts is what sold me, that and when ever I buy something, I want the "burger with the lot" model of it lmao

Driffill said:
I want the "burger with the lot" model of it lmao

Hehe so true, I thought if I got the 8J id end up upgrading it later on so even though its cheaper id end up spending more buying both in the long run. There are higher end radio's and the 14fg I think it is does pretty much the same as the 8fgs but with telemetry. This needs more crap to be added and using OSD gives me all the info I need anyway and beyond the 8 and 14fg radio's are complete overkill for multirotor flying I think.

8 channels is nearly enough but 14 should be enough for quite a while, the extras I need is gimbal pitch and roll control along with possibly a camera feed switch and who knows down the track. Retractable gear and channel switching etc so thats why I though better to get more then I need atm then get just enough then realize I am a few channels short not too far down the road.

Now I have mine set with all options of stock radio including failsafe override in any mode, I have GPS, ATTI and manual on a 3 position switch then a separate switch for failsafe. I also have a slider for gain control and another for gimbal pitch and roll.

It mounts well to my radio and range is more then enough even though I also got it because it will easily add a UHF radio upgrade when I feel the need for that more for deep penetration flying like this at some point down the track.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfkyp5VQJ6w[/youtube]

Very easy to do this with the 8fgs, possibly also 8j but more advanced things are better with the more advanced radio I think. The 8J itself is a great radio and very popular with heaps of phantom guys but Im using the phantom more as a learning platform looking to do some more advanced flying later on.

I guess it all boils down to what you want to spend. I have been there being an initial 14MZ owner years ago, A radio I never used more than 5 or 6 channels on a Heli. Biggest waste of money I have ever spent.

The T8J is more than you will ever need flying a Phantom.

Craig

I def agree, the T8J is the perfect Tx for the Phantom, anything more is a bit overkill.

Although if you think you might get hooked on this hobby and have a good income, might not hurt to consider the fancier Tx.

btw, the T8J (and probably others) ships with a Rx in the box.
and if you get it, *Get the Heli model ,. not the airplane model.

BTW, the airplane TX will work too, but the switches at the top are in different places. I have the airplane model. Something to think about, the 8J has two antenna in the tx, both are horizontally oriented. When you install the RX in the Phantom, I found it works best if you keep both RX antennas in the horizontal plane too. I did this by routing both antenna leads out the holes at the top of the legs and drilling very small holes in the legs. I then inserted the antennas in the holes I drilled in the legs. Drill the holes so they are at 90 degrees from each other. I've found this gives me great range with very little glitching.

Did you drill an over-sized hole and then pass the receiver antenna through a rubber grommet?

PF

PhantomFan said:
Did you drill an over-sized hole and then pass the receiver antenna through a rubber grommet?

PF

No, but that would be a better way to do it. I drilled holes just big enough that the antenna wires would fit snugly. I do have to use caution now when I pick the Phantom up. Make sure I don't crush the antenna wires.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Futaba 6J?

I want to upgrade my radio for more reliability and range, as well as to control my Tarot gimbal, but dont have the funds for a 300+ dollar radio. Probably a dumb question but am I going to be able to control the tarot on the 6J since there isn't a 7th channel? And finally is there a workaround to this?

Thanks!

imfuller said:

I want to upgrade my radio for more reliability and range, as well as to control my Tarot gimbal, but dont have the funds for a 300+ dollar radio. Probably a dumb question but am I going to be able to control the tarot on the 6J since there isn't a 7th channel? And finally is there a workaround to this?

Thanks!
The 8J can be had on eBay for $249 from time to time. They are easily found for $279 with free shipping... Comes with a receiver.

imfuller said:

Thanks!

If you want to be able to tilt your gimbal, you'll need an open channel to do so.
that's why having an 8 channel Tx comes in handy, because it provides two additional channels on top of the 6 that are used by the Phantom controls (2 sticks, + IOC and GPS/ATTI switches)

However, IF you never plan to use IOC, then yes, you can turn off IOC in the NAZA, and use that channel to control gimbal tilt.
but that's a compromise that most would not wish to make.

plus if you ever wanted to control Roll as well, you'd still want more channels.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl