Frustaing experience installing gimbal V.2

Reaction score
I have had an extremely frustrating day with my Phantom. I finally got the Zenmuse gimbal today. Its apparently version 2, but I'm not sure how to tell for sure. I used the upgrade kit. In my opinion the instructions/videos were horrid. Why can't DJI make a video that shows how to do an upgrade using the upgrade kit?

I ended up finding instructions in this forum so that was helpful. It turns out that after installing the upgrade kit, installing the gimbal isn't that hard, but its not clear at all what do do in the video and which steps you can skip. Also the mount for my gimbal looks different than it does in the manual and the process for attaching it was different. This took me like an hour to figure. I never did find correct instructions online - I just had to figure it out on my own.

Finally, after re-assembling everything, I noticed that the level on the controller wasn't working, so I took the control back apart and noticed that pot was damaged and so it wasn't turning because it was bent. I must have damaged it when installing it. I tried to bend it back but not the controller is dead.

I'm just so frustrated with this whole process from the delays, to the "plug and play", to the poor initial logt of gimbals. I haven't decided if I'm going to try to replace the controller or sell it. In any event I'm frustrated.

After cooling down a little bit, I'm probably going to replace the transmitter. I have a few questions though:

1) Is there any way for me to tell if the gimbal is working correctly without the transmitter? If I am fairly confident the install went ok other than the mishap with the transmitter, replacing it seems pretty simple. If not, I was thinking of sending it to dronefly for repair.

2) If I do replace the transmitter, is there any sort of pairing or anything I need to do for it to work with my Phantom?

3) If I replace the transmitter, should I replace it with the same one or are there others that I should be thinking about? Are 3rd party ones pretty easy to set up?

Appreciate your help in advance.

The problem with the transmitter appears to be a blown fuse near where the bar for the lever attaches to the board. It seems to start working for a second if I touch a metal screw driver to the two metal pieces on the ends of the fuse. I'm not an expert in circuit boards, but maybe ill see if I can de-solder the fuse, and find a replacement at radio shack. Any advice?

dguldager said:
Did you figure out what to do?

I have the same problem.

Thanks

No, I know it was the fuse, but I'm not sure which fuse to replace it with. I went to radioshack and they didn't know what to do with it. I basically just ended up replacing the stock transmitter with the Futaba T8J.

Where did you find the diagram of installing Zenmuse to new board with the V2? I don't know if my is installed correctly just like you ?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj