FrSky Taranis, X8R and the Phantom

But, are these big antennas any better than the normal antennas? If it's all the same, I might just order the thin antenna reciever. If the big ones are better, I will keep them.

You don't need to have the ends outside.....put them inside....you can stand the vertical one on the side of the battery compartment vertically....lay the other one down horizontally along side one of the ESCs down the arm facing toward the motor...double stick tape on both holds them in place.....been using it that way with success for quite awhile.....no issues. I"m still waiting for someone to post their setup on a P2.....anybody???

Oh my gosh. Just got my Taranis...... WHERE do I start. Complete noob with "advanced" transmitters"

trintcole said:
Davek, as per your request.

I did the beep on throttle center so I'd know that I'm not climbing or descending without having to look at the receiver.

I just took CD419's set up and tweaked it. I wouldn't have had a clue of where to get started. 90% of the setup is his. I also added a few new things on this next BIN file. Flew it today. Seems pretty good. I like tweaking this thing. Scott from aloft has posted great vids on youtube.

Latest setup
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/683 ... ARANIS.BIN

sounds
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/683 ... sounds.zip

Now how to get this onto my Taranis lol :D

I wrote a process on page 5 of this thread for basic startup. I've had mine for months now and I'm still lost as far as programming goes but make sure you also setup your failsafe properly as also mentioned in this thread or you'll be sorry. I'm still grounded from that crash and that was 2 weeks ago.

I would have considered a Taranis except I already have a DX8 and all my other planes, helis, and quads have spektrum RX's. It sure is a lot nicer flying the Phantom without using that white TX with the AAA batteries. I was out flying my F550 last weekend FPV and flew out of radio range. I'm in the process of putting in a Rangelink UHF now.

Well I'll be damned, they really do exist!

KCcXRP8l.jpg

Was beginning to think you all were just trolling me :D

Hi all,
I heave searched all over the place and could not find the answer so I am asking for some help.
I have the Taranis X8R receiver working great with the exception of the gimbal control.
I am missing something in the config or made a mistake somewhere but can't figure it out.
I have a phantom 2 with H32D zenmuse gimbal.
I saw a post from folks that said they connected the gimbal cable directly to channel 8 but in the Phantom 2, I don't see a cable that I can do that with. In the Naza v.2, the X1 cable is not connected and I have connected the X2 to the X8R receiver.
In the Phantom Assistant, there is no response from the gimbal control at all.
I appreciate any help or direction you can offer.
See here for my post with my taranis config:
[urlhttp://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8165&p=67021&hilit=taranis#p67021][/url]

Thanks!

Ok, I figured it out. I needed to have the gimbal control set to channel 5 for some reason.
That must be the default for the Naza FC but I have no idea how you might change it if you wanted to.
Thanks anyway.....

How did you set up your Taranis to show flight battery voltage instead of X8R receiver voltage with FLVSS? I am only getting receiver voltage on my taranis.
rilot said:
If you guys are interested, there's now a smart port enabled voltage telemetry device for the X8R: http://www.t9hobbysport.com/frsky-flvss ... age-sensor

I've got one on my F550 and it works brilliantly. I've got it triggering an alarm on the Taranis when it gets to a certain level.

The best thing about it is that it connects to the balance lead of the LiPo so no soldering is required. Also has an OLED display so you can check your cell voltages (individual cell voltages can also been seen on the transmitter telemetry). Not bad for £12

It's the FLVSS you need not the older FLVS-01 which doesn't support smart port.

Hey guys, just gotten around to setup my Phantom 2 and the Taranis. Thanks so much for all the pioneers and trailblazers that have shared their knowledge and experience in this thread! I have a few questions to follow up some of the points raised in previous posts...

1. With Trintcole's modded EEPROM, where do you connect the X1 cable? I've tried ch5 and ch8, but neither works for controlling the gimbal. What am I missing?

2. With regard to DaveK's comment on setting 'hold' on failsafe to work. Is this conclusive? I used trintcole's EEPROM and did not mess with any of the failsafe settings and it seems to work alright on my brief observation. Hitting the manual failsafe switch put the Phantom into failsafe mode (correct LED blinking) and turning off the Taranis also sets the Phantom into the same behavior.

3. How do you install/wire the FLVSS on Phantom 2?

And to those looking to turn off voltage warnings, the settings is under 'Custom Functions' tab, item CF17.

To answer my own questions...

1. Still no go. Gimbal is controlled with the SC switch\lever on the Taranis, which trintcole configured as Gain modifier. I've tried moving the X1 cable to channel 5 and 8 to no effect. (s-bus, 16 channel mode). So in the end I swapped the entries of CH5 and CH8 in the 'mixer' tab, and everything work as it should.

2. Ok, I can see if it's set to 'no pulse' it will trigger an RX error if you set the failsafe mode while connected to the Phantom Assistant. I have no idea what happens to the Phantom in real failsafe situation in this case, but setting the failsafe mode to 'hold' does not show the rx error.

Btw, my Taranis' sticks seem super sensitive\jittery viewed from the Phantom Assistant. Is it normal? Should I try to increase their dead zones?

LeoS said:

1. Still no go. Gimbal is controlled with the SC switch\lever on the Taranis, which trintcole configured as Gain modifier. I've tried moving the X1 cable to channel 5 and 8 to no effect. (s-bus, 16 channel mode). So in the end I swapped the entries of CH5 and CH8 in the 'mixer' tab, and everything work as it should.

2. Ok, I can see if it's set to 'no pulse' it will trigger an RX error if you set the failsafe mode while connected to the Phantom Assistant. I have no idea what happens to the Phantom in real failsafe situation in this case, but setting the failsafe mode to 'hold' does not show the rx error.

Btw, my Taranis' sticks seem super sensitive\jittery viewed from the Phantom Assistant. Is it normal? Should I try to increase their dead zones?

Are you connecting your gimbal to the Naza? I have mine connected to the X8R and workd perfect

porl_hopkins said:
LeoS said:

Are you connecting your gimbal to the Naza? I have mine connected to the X8R and workd perfect

I use zenmuse for Phantom 2, which has a single cable connection to NAZA; as I understand it NAZA spits it back out on channel X1, which I was wondering where to connect to the X8R receiver to...

At any rate, I have gimbal angle control on my Taranis now.

My current issue is with centering\drift of the sticks. I've calibrated the sticks on the Taranis itself, then through Phantom Assistant, then restarted both the Taranis and P2, and repeat with the first step again... I start with all positions at 0, but after rotating the sticks, one axis can end with the value of fish. Most fluctuate +- 2 or 3 points.

I have just built (well building) my first kit, an F550, with E300, Naza-N v2 and H3-2D Gimbal

However, with the Taranis and X8R, I feel I've bitten off more than I can chew - the Taranis is soooo complicated.

I was wondering if anyone would share their EEPROM - as I'm not having much success with getting this working.

Regards

ANDREW (Yateley, UK)

adchesney said:
I have just built (well building) my first kit, an F550, with E300, Naza-N v2 and H3-2D Gimbal

However, with the Taranis and X8R, I feel I've bitten off more than I can chew - the Taranis is soooo complicated.

I was wondering if anyone would share their EEPROM - as I'm not having much success with getting this working.

Regards

ANDREW (Yateley, UK)

One of our resident Taranis experts, Rilot, posted his EEPROM for the Phantom a while back, I'll attach it to this post. I assume you're using CompanionTx with it...choose the option to burn EEPROM from file, rather than opening it up then burning it. If you try the latter method without having set up your profile preferences first, it can give you problems.

Check out this forum section for more help with your 550: viewforum.php?f=21

Attachments

• Taranis Phantom.zip
    6.8 KB · Views: 196
OI Photography said:
adchesney said:

Regards

ANDREW (Yateley, UK)

One of our resident Taranis experts, Rilot, posted his EEPROM for the Phantom a while back, I'll attach it to this post. I assume you're using CompanionTx with it...choose the option to burn EEPROM from file, rather than opening it up then burning it. If you try the latter method without having set up your profile preferences first, it can give you problems.

Check out this forum section for more help with your 550: viewforum.php?f=21

Thank you - Is the EEPROM for Phantom of his F550?

ANDREW

adchesney said:
Thank you - Is the EEPROM for Phantom of his F550?

ANDREW

It's technically for the Phantom, but it can be used on a F550 with the NAZA.

He set it up like this:

SC = Flight mode (GPS/ATTI/Manual)
SB = IOC
RS (right slider) = Gimbal pitch control...it's slowed down a bit to allow smoother input
SF = Triggers RTH

SA is also setup for something ("Cam") way down on channel 16, meaning it's not going through the NAZA in the Phantom...so unless you need an external switched channel you can just ignore that.

adchesney said:

Regards

ANDREW (Yateley, UK)

I was had the same problem 2 hours into thinking I bit off more that I could chew, I stopped searching for Taranis/Phantom and started searching for Taranis/Naza...

I modified the instructions from this link... http://rumblecloud.com/rumblecloudrc/in ... opic=681.0

After reviewing it, it all started to make more and more sense. Now I have a better understanding of what it can do for basic settings on the Phantom. I have yet to get into the more advanced modes, but am content and can fly the Phantom without worry at the present.

Another helpful link were these two.

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthr ... -Naza-M-V2

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1914834

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers