FrSky Taranis, X8R and the Phantom

trintcole said:
updates on my setup

I got the lipo sensor. Setup alarm points that match up with the safeties on the phantom. Works great on mine. You may want to move the alarm point up or down on the custom switches page.

Gimbal setup. when I'm controlling camera manually , the ls knob beeps when I have the camera level. I also gave the gimbal less movement for more ls knob movement throughout the range.

Next I'd like to get the GPS setup. I also created telemetry screen for lipo and alarms.

If you download off my previous link. I'm putting the most up to date version in my dropbox.

I also updated sound files.

What module do you have for the lipo alarm module? Are you using the FLVSS? I too would like battery alarms and GPS. But I am getting the IOSD mini so I am pondering a secondary GPS readout for safety.

Hi All,

I finally managed to get my Phantom 2 Vision+ SEMI working with the Taranis and the X8R however I have one more issue I have not been able to resolve prior to actually doing a LIVE test ( With Props on ) with the PHANTOM.

Currently If I take the throttle down to the lowest setting the Phantom powers off, as you can imagine this is not a favourable outcome.

Normally to turn off the phantom is the same as the turning ON mode. Both sticks into the centre and down into the middle corners, this still works, however currently you can also power off the Phantom by just putting the throttle into the lowest position.

Being a NEWBEE I would suggest that this is something I might do on one of the occasions that a TERROR moment occurs.

Can any body help with this last issue please ????

Rickoz said:
Hi All,

I finally managed to get my Phantom 2 Vision+ SEMI working with the Taranis and the X8R however I have one more issue I have not been able to resolve prior to actually doing a LIVE test ( With Props on ) with the PHANTOM.

Currently If I take the throttle down to the lowest setting the Phantom powers off, as you can imagine this is not a favourable outcome.

Normally to turn off the phantom is the same as the turning ON mode. Both sticks into the centre and down into the middle corners, this still works, however currently you can also power off the Phantom by just putting the throttle into the lowest position.

Being a NEWBEE I would suggest that this is something I might do on one of the occasions that a TERROR moment occurs.

That's expected behavior, and the Phantom is set by default to not shut the motors down that way while in flight...the trigger will only work once it has detected that it has landed (or before take-off).

However, note that even though holding the throttle all the way down for 3 sec or more while in flight won't shut the motors down, it will invoke the autoland sequence which can be stopped by bringing the throttle back up.

Hi,

thanks, so I went back to the drawing board and read the original DJI Phantom manual, and guess what, your correct.

I just had not noticed this previously, I had always just used the twin stick and bringing them together.

So ok, I though great everything is good, I did a last calibration using the PT2 Software and closed everything up and put the props back on.

With a little caution I slowly started to increase power and that is when everything went terribly wrong, props accelerated quickly, then the Phantom rose a few ices and immediately flipped over.

Luckily nothing really damaged just my lawn has a little bit of a short back and sides.

Si i then decided to try again and this time held the Phantom while I had somebody start it up and try and increase throttles, it tried to do the same thing again, all then props getting different speeds and it was pulling and moving all over the place.

So I went back inside reconnected it all to the computer and had a look at the calibration and it looks fine !!!

I have no idea what is going on !!

OI Photography said:
Rickoz said:
Hi All,

That's expected behavior, and the Phantom is set by default to not shut the motors down that way while in flight...the trigger will only work once it has detected that it has landed (or before take-off).

However, note that even though holding the throttle all the way down for 3 sec or more while in flight won't shut the motors down, it will invoke the autoland sequence which can be stopped by bringing the throttle back up.

Hi, Everyone.
Just recently received my Taranis and X8R. Glad I found this forum. The RCGroups forum is awesome, but huge!

Installed it all tonight, and I kind of got it working.
I installed the X8R with X2 going to the S-BUS. I left X1 disconnected. I got a good bind with the receiver, then uploaded cd419's setup. Seemed to work OK as far as the sticks. I am able to power up and arm the motors.
However, I have 2 main issues:

1. The gimbal (H3-2D) is not working. It slowly (over several minutes) drifts to a full throw position, then powers down (gimbal failsafe). None of the sliders seem to have any effect. Please note I have a Phantom 1.2 with the upgrade board, so I can't plug the gimbal into a separate channel. It must come from the NAZA.

2. Since the changeover, I can no longer communicate with the NAZA via the NAZA Assistant. My computer does not seem to see the USB (no audible indicator of plugging it in / disconnecting). I ran the DJI driver install again, with no change. I figured maybe my gimbal problem could at least be seen in the Assistant, but I can't get into it to check.

I honestly don't think any of my switches or sliders are working properly (besides the main sticks). I see no change in the Phantom LED no matter what I do to ATTI or IOC switches. Always a slowly flashing green.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OK, update.
I will NOT tell you that I had the LED and the X2 cables swapped on the NAZA. That would be a rookie mistake!

However, with the cables now (verified!) in the correct positions, USB comms are good, sticks calibrated, all is good EXCEPT for the gimbal control. I am not able to control the gimbal with the slider. Camera points straight down (but stable!), so I just need to figure out how to get the control to work.

As a reminder, I'm have the upgrade board installed in a 1.2 Phantom 1, so I'm not sure where to go from here.

Thanks for any suggestions.

1. Is it a brand new H3-2D? If so, have you updated the firmware?

2. Have you calibrated the X1 channel in the NAZA Assistant software?

3. Are you sure the correct slider is assigned to that channel on the Taranis?

OI Photography said:
1. Is it a brand new H3-2D? If so, have you updated the firmware?

2. Have you calibrated the X1 channel in the NAZA Assistant software?

3. Are you sure the correct slider is assigned to that channel on the Taranis?

Thanks for the reply.

1. I've had it for several months, and it was working great using the original DJI controller. While swapping over to the Taranis, I just removed the DJI receiver, installed the X8R, and connected X2 to the S-BUS. No other connections on the receiver. Firmware checks as up to date.

2. I tried to calibrate X1, but it does not respond. All other switches and sticks are responding correctly. Flew it this afternoon, just could not adjust gimbal.

3. I think so. I'm on Channel 5 on the Mixes tab. I have the following on that channel:

CH05 (+100%) LS (CamTilt)
R (+100%) MAX Switch(SEup)
R (-100%) MAX Switch(SEdown)

I wanted to have SE give me straight ahead and straight down positions, plus allow me to adjust manually in SE-. Neither SE nor LS are affecting X1 in NAZA Assistant.

Since gimbal control is all internal (S-BUS) on the upgrade board, I have no other gimbal cables. I really think it is my understanding of the assignment of a channel to a switch / slider. Am I missing something else here? Thanks!

In the Assistant software, double-check to make sure the gimbal switch is set to "on" (Advanced section -> Gimbal Tab).

If that looks correct, then try removing the 2 switch lines from the channel 5 mix and see if it works properly with just the slider.

OI Photography said:
In the Assistant software, double-check to make sure the gimbal switch is set to "on" (Advanced section -> Gimbal Tab).

If that looks correct, then try removing the 2 switch lines from the channel 5 mix and see if it works properly with just the slider.

Success!
I deleted the 2 extra switch lines, and everything's good now. Not sure what happened there; I'll have to try again, now that I have a baseline working gimbal.
Just for info, the upgrade board install was pretty specific about NOT checking Gimbal ON. I think that is for external gimbals. I would have tried it next anyway, but I left that checked as OFF.

Thanks for your help!!

Ken

porl_hopkins said:
trintcole said:
Davek, as per your request.

I did the beep on throttle center so I'd know that I'm not climbing or descending without having to look at the receiver.

I just took CD419's set up and tweaked it. I wouldn't have had a clue of where to get started. 90% of the setup is his. I also added a few new things on this next BIN file. Flew it today. Seems pretty good. I like tweaking this thing. Scott from aloft has posted great vids on youtube.

Latest setup
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/683 ... ARANIS.BIN

sounds
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/683 ... sounds.zip

Now how to get this onto my Taranis lol :D
Hello.
I have downloaded your files copied over sound files to sd card but am not getting any sounds from the radio.
Have I uploaded them right
Copied you eeprom to my setting and re burned it then copy sound files to the sd card was this right.

Dave.

Great thread. Was very helpful. I had set up a good portion by myself with my limited experience, however this thread got me over the line. Only done testing at home. Yet to go out to the field.

One issue I am having at home is the motors shut down after a couple of seconds if I haven't added throttle. I have like 3 seconds or so to move which is too quick. Not sure what is causing this.

I just bought a Taranis X9d for the Tarot 680pro that I`m building. Beautiful.

But i also have a phantom 2 that i would like to put a receiver. What is the most appropriate for the P2?

X6r is cheaper than the x8r, but is enough?

Can I have the receiver to use the taranis and then switch to the factory receiver to use the Phantom radio?

So that when I´m using only the phantom I can use the taranis, but when I have both I can use both radios?

thank you

I always use the x8r or the 4 channel. I would use the x8r if I were you. But that's just me.

As far as switching. No. One or the other.or you could mount a servo extension outside the body and switch. But why bother? It's not like you will be flying both at the same time. Unless you are letting someone else fly it. In which case is say you're brave. I don't let anyone fly my stuff unless I can snatch the controller back asap. Can't be done if I also have a bird in the air.

I would like to use the phantom to get used to the taranis, but after i would like to put back the receiver of the phantom to use the dji radio. How can I do that?

Just unplug the phantom receiver. Leave the it physically there. Then when you are done, plug it back in.

Oh yeah forgot they had that little guy. I always use the d4r which isn't sbus. So yeah x4r is good too!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik