Friend of a Friend Fined $1800 no registration on drone..i have questions

The way I understand it this is for any UAV over .55 pounds. If you fly for money it is a very different and much more complicated (read expensive) proposition. I was looking at registering my P3S the other day and it appeared to me that they wanted $25 for registration. I will recheck that after reading so many posts quoting the rate at $5. Either way I will pay.

Tobby
www.faa.gov/uas

I just finished registering my P3S on the link provided by MSINGER (thanks MSINGER). $5 got 'er done 'til 2020.I prefer not to put info up on the web, but WTF. I just labeled my drones battery with my registration # and would love to go out for a celebratory flight. The problem is that the thermometer reads -4*F and I do not want to crash my newly law abiding bird out of abject stupidity. Temps will rise soon enough. meanwhile I will study and scout out my next flight.

Tobby

Another reason I'm going to call BS is that the OP said the "aviation police" (no such thing) wanted to take his friend to jail. The penalty for not registering your drone is a civil fine, not jail time. That means a ticket, not arrest.

I was looking at registering my P3S the other day and it appeared to me that they wanted $25 for registration.
You were looking at a look-alike website designed to remove some money from your wallet. You'd be paying the $5 registration, plus $20 to some bogus website operator. Registering at the actual faa.gov website, the fee is $5.

That's part of the problem, go to practically any store and you can buy a drone and the clerk that rings you up probably doesn't have a clue about any FAA regs (and couldn't care less) so nothing is said. Newbie takes his new toy out and starts zooming around and, probably, crashing into things and never knows about registering. DJI is so concerned about keeping phantom pilots out of NFZs, seems like they would do a better service just putting a notice in the package that many countries (might even include a list with webpages) reguire registration before flying.

when i got my p4 it had a insert describing that you need to register and how to do so.

Reactions: Pharm
Exactly. Somebody didn't make the least bit of effort to do their homework.

Something about this "friend of a friend" story seems fishy to me. How would the neighbors know whether the drone was registered? How did the "aviation police" (Is there such a thing? I don't think so.) get access to the drone to prove the friend of a friend even owned a drone, much less whether it had the registration on it?

"No, officer, I don't own a drone. Must be someone else in the neighborhood."

By the way, the OP had his questions in this thread answered in December when he had similar concerns back then: How Does the FAA know what drone I am flying?
It is like carry permits, you get them to carry any gun, not a specific one.
Since they email you your drone id, ANYONE can put the number on the drone since email is not secure.

It is my understanding that registration is for commercial flying only. Am I mistaken?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
inside the us borders YES. Sadly mistaken. Why they exempt 55+ lb drones when if you want to cause mayhem and destruction that is the size you would want to use is beyond me. They also exempt those spy mosquito which is what you would use in the gym showers.

Since they email you your drone id, ANYONE can put the number on the drone since email is not secure.

Your paranoia is showing again. Not just ANYONE has access to your email, "secure" or otherwise.

You also never answered my previous question: who do you think we're paying the $5 registration fee to if not the FAA?

inside the us borders YES. Sadly mistaken. Why they exempt 55+ lb drones when if you want to cause mayhem and destruction that is the size you would want to use is beyond me. They also exempt those spy mosquito which is what you would use in the gym showers.

That's not true at all. Any UAS over 55 pounds falls into 333 or other more strict guidelines. You don't get around the rules by building a bigger drone lol

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Falcon900
Yes.

All drone owners must register their aircraft.

Main purpose is so if a crime is committed, authorities can identify the perp.
Lets be clear, unless you're a part 107 pilot every drone owner has to register THEMSELVES. The pilot carries the license not the craft, and you can have multiple craft with the same # displayed. Unlike regular tail #'s that are unique.

Yes, you are mistaken. You have to register for both. Commercial registration is a little more complex but a standard registration take 5 minutes online and you receive your registration immediately. It's easy to do so I don't think anyone should have an excuse not to be registered. Go here for more info... sUAS Registration

Well after reading my way through this story I have come to some conclusions.
That's a real big fine but seems like it could of so easily of been avoided.
Like any new sport, knowledge is the key. Before I started flying here in the UK I did as much research as I could so I knew the relevant laws. Over here we don't have to be registered for your hobby but do have to be for commercial work and yes there are weight classifications.
Just how exactly did the neighbour's know if he and the drone registered or not? I would of thought the police could not of entered his house with out a warrant. If you haven't before registered a drone then how would they know you hade one. Sounds like, with neighbour's like that who needs enemies.
I am only guessing but if you knew your current countries laws on drones then surely you would of registered it and your self before the neighbour's had seen the drone.
If you had only just received the drone and you then got reported then surely you could use that as evidence and you were just about to register. To be honest, the whole thing sounds a bit too fishy by a long way.

Reactions: Neon Euc
You were looking at a look-alike website designed to remove some money from your wallet. You'd be paying the $5 registration, plus $20 to some bogus website operator. Registering at the actual faa.gov website, the fee is $5.

I just did a search for FAA drone registration and the FAA site was 5 down. The first 4 sites listed were for the bogus registration sites.

Reactions: Mr. Salty
I would be very wary when registering, think you really need to proceed with caution and make sure you are registering on the correct web site

I would be very wary when registering, think you really need to proceed with caution and make sure you are registering on the correct web site

It's really very easy and no caution needed.

If the website ends in anything other than .gov... it's the wrong site.

Reactions: MCTV and Pharm

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctlfreak