Friend of a Friend Fined $1800 no registration on drone..i have questions

That's part of the problem, go to practically any store and you can buy a drone and the clerk that rings you up probably doesn't have a clue about any FAA regs (and couldn't care less) so nothing is said. Newbie takes his new toy out and starts zooming around and, probably, crashing into things and never knows about registering. DJI is so concerned about keeping phantom pilots out of NFZs, seems like they would do a better service just putting a notice in the package that many countries (might even include a list with webpages) reguire registration before flying.

You're correct, ask most of the Apple salespeople and they have no idea, only the ones that personally own the drones or have been made aware of the rule.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I just did a search for FAA drone registration and the FAA site was 5 down. The first 4 sites listed were for the bogus registration sites.

Agreed, and there are many opportunistic entrepreneurs out there. However ...

... Forget doing a google search to find the FAA site. There is a much easier way: Read the *darn* manual that came with your drone. They list there EXACTLY which site to go to, for registering your bird. There are other bonuses from reading that manual: you'll learn many tricks, do's and dont's, blinking patterns of the 4 LED lights and what they mean, why/when you must calibrate the Compass/IMU/Gimbal, what temperatures you can/cannot operate at, ... etc.

I bought my drone, but did not attempt to fly it until 3-4 weeks later. I did however open the box, charge everything, power the drone, and operate all the controls to get a 'feel' for the bird. I did all of that with NO propellers attached. During those 3-4 weeks, I found and printed every single manual about the drone, put everything in a binder ... and that binder travels with me all the time, whether during my lunch break at work, bathroom breaks (sic), or late night reading. Like many on here, I am not confident enough to wing it, learn as I go, and risk trashing my investment.

@KennyJr:
This reply is not directed at you. I simply used your text to stress th need to read the manual.

Reactions: Spraygun
You're correct, ask most of the Apple salespeople and they have no idea, only the ones that personally own the drones or have been made aware of the rule.

I don't expect sales people of consumer products to 1) completely understand them and 2) know and understand all the laws (Federal, State and local) associated with them.

This is even more true when dealing with big box stores.

After 4+ pages, I still don't see a link to where it actually says that a person flying as a hobby or recreation has to register.

In 2012 Congress passed PUBLIC LAW 112–95—FEB. 14, 2012 which is also known as the ‘‘FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012’’.The Table of Contents lists Section 336, Special Rule for Model Aircraft. The complete text is:

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.
(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this
subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a communitybased set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered
by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not nterfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located
at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating
procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).
(b) STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION.—Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursue enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who
endanger the safety of the national airspace system.
(c) MODEL AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘model aircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is—
(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and
(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes.

The bolded language is my doing.

Here is the link: https://www.congress.gov/112/plaws/publ95/PLAW-112publ95.pdf

So here is my take on all this. Not withstanding all the BS shown on various FAA websites, my P3S does NOT fall within any "Fun to Fly" or other BS website that throws s++t against the public wall to see what will stick. Am I being overly reactive? Maybe in other people's mind, and the $5 won't break anyone in this hobby, but for me it's the principle. The FAA has no statutory right to ask for any money nor get any information about or from me. Paranoid? Not for me, I just don't think they have the right to even ask for $5. AND just where is the link to that $5 request from the FAA, still haven't found it. As one saying says: "Follow the money", I say "Follow the Law".

If I am mistaken, please let me know, by giving me link(s) that I can follow to see my folly.

It is your option to do as you please.
You're not the first to take such an opinion and you will likely never get caught.

But having flown wireless-ly controlled aircraft for 3+ decades I don't trust them to always do as as I command.
Now there's software between me and my aircraft which increases uncertainty.

So long as your drone never has an incident seriously enough to be traced back to you your fine.

Get caught?... That's a different kind of 'Fine'.

You guys sure talk a lot
about the same thing.o_O

How's the weather?:cool:

OK, I'll chime in too.
My registration was free when they first started it. Even for 5 bucks what's the big deal?
You're in bigger trouble if you get caught without it.
At least if I get in trouble I have something to stand on.

Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft

What that boils down to is that the FAA may enforce (which to me means they may ticket, fine or through other means) NAS safety requirements. Which I hope they would. There is absolutely nothing in there about having UAS pilots (me) register.

I am going to be a lurker from here on until someone posts a relevant link.

I went to a local print shop copy and pasted logo and Faa registration # to email and mailed it to shop, they printed me a sheet of like 25 stickers for a $1

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

FWIW, It's illegal to use the FAA Logo.

@KennyJr: This reply is not directed at you. I simply used your text to stress th need to read the manual.

No problem. I didn't bother with Google when I registered. I went directly to the website after hearing on the news when they first required registration.

Reactions: Pharm
This is the FAA site specific to hobby aircraft and it addresses labeling being required. Fly for Fun . I registered less than a week ago. I am pretty certain that is where I learned about the label rule. It was included in the rules list. I have one of those handheld Dymo label makers and that's what I used to label mine.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Reactions: N017RW
Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft
What that boils down to is that the FAA may enforce (which to me means they may ticket, fine or through other means) NAS safety requirements. Which I hope they would. There is absolutely nothing in there about having UAS pilots (me) register.
I am going to be a lurker from here on until someone posts a relevant link.
The FAA seem to believe that registration is legal and required.
I have a feeling that they take advice from higher paid lawyers than you do.
Why do I need to register my UAS?
Federal law requires that all aircraft (which includes UAS and radio/remote controlled aircraft) flown outdoors must be registered with the FAA and marked with a registration number. UAS weighing more than 0.55 pounds and less than 55 pounds may register online at sUAS Registration or by using the legacy paper based registration process. The weight limit includes everything that is on board or otherwise attached to the aircraft at the time of takeoff.
This is probably wasted on you but for anyone else interested in what the FAA says: sUAS Registration

When it comes down to who really knows what the law is, if you want to fight the government authority that administers that law you are probably backing a loser.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
From the same FAA page referenced by msinger above is a link on how to label the UAS. Yes, it can be in the battery compartment.
https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/media/UAS_how_to_label_Infographic.pdf
So, looking at that link, can I use the same registration number for multiple Drones? I'm planning on buying a second drone - will I need a separate registration for it. If I sell a drone or gift one to my son, will the new owner need a new registration?

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

"Friend of a Friend Fined $1800 .....The aviation police from the airport came to his house and wanted to throw him in jail. This is where it gets foggy. My friend said..."

This sounds a bit like a fish story. Who issued the fine?

SB

Reactions: m0j0
So, looking at that link, can I use the same registration number for multiple Drones? I'm planning on buying a second drone - will I need a separate registration for it. If I sell a drone or gift one to my son, will the new owner need a new registration?

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

For recreation rules only the pilot needs registration. If you gift/sell a recreation drone the new pilot needs to register.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: tjshelton

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carloansales