Friend of a Friend Fined $1800 no registration on drone..i have questions

So when I registered I didn't register my drone..just me. There wasn't an option to register my drone. I paid $36 for 9 years. Do I need to register my drone as well? It's only a hobby, not for commercial use.

Yes you are mistaken. Every drone pliot, hobbyist or commercial, is required to obtain an FAA registration number.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

So when I registered I didn't register my drone..just me. There wasn't an option to register my drone. I paid $36 for 9 years. Do I need to register my drone as well? It's only a hobby, not for commercial use.

No, you use your UAS Certificate number which is (your registration number) on your registration certificate on any of your UAS aircraft.

His big mistake was in talking to them, and letting them into his house.
"Come back with a warrant" then get on line and register while they are gone. They never saw the drone flying so can't claim you flew it before it was registered.

but time to look for new neighbors, or buy them out so you don't have them.
They never saw the drone flying... Case closed.

So to be clear if you fly a Drone strictly for recreation you only have to register yourself as a pilot, but if you fly a Drone commercially you have to register the drone as well. Correct?

agreed. actually my friend said they wanted to take him to jail. But he talked them into giving him a fine instead. It could be a couple of newbie cops trying to make a name. not sure. i will post if I find out anything new.
Assuming this is in the US, this is sounding even more suspicious.

LEOs do not have the authority to determine punishment. Their authority is limited to determining if there is probable cause for citation or arrest. Period. That is all they can do -- cite you with a demand you appear in court at a later date to answer for the charges, or arrest you and present you to court to answer the charges.

It is up to a judge whether you do jail time, pay a fine, or both. It is not up to an LEO whether or not you get fined, and how much.

Last edited:
Reactions: jlrsn and uavflyr
Assuming this is in the US, this is sounding even more suspicious.

LEOs do not have the authority to determine punishment. Their authority is limited to determining of there is probably cause for citation or arrest. Period. That is all they can do -- cite you with a demand you appear in court at a later date to answer for the charges, or arrest you and present you to court to answer the charges.

It is up to a judge whether you do jail time, pay a fine, or both. It is not up to an LEO whether or not you get fined, and how much.
VERY good point!

So to be clear if you fly a Drone strictly for recreation you only have to register yourself as a pilot, but if you fly a Drone commercially you have to register the drone as well. Correct?
Yes.

"gixxer" explains a lot in the motorcycle worldo_O
Let's see a pic of this alleged fine

I'm with RW, there's A LOT of info missing. BTW

label drone.jpg

My 3 yr old could figure this out. I know it was linked by another member but, it was also linked on the FAA website. /shrug

The way I understand it this is for any UAV over .55 pounds. If you fly for money it is a very different and much more complicated (read expensive) proposition. I was looking at registering my P3S the other day and it appeared to me that they wanted $25 for registration. I will recheck that after reading so many posts quoting the rate at $5. Either way I will pay.

Tobby

Literally, on the print out of your registration it says THREE times in different verbiage that you must affix the registration number to the aircraft. Stupid people bother me so much. You really can't claim ignorance, every drone made in the last year sold in most countries include a pamphlet about registration and markings.

Yes hobby users still have to register @stubblefield but I believe it's more expensive to register as commercial flyer

If you have an existing account and a 107 it's $5 still. When I registered my two commercial drones it gave me one free, not sure if it was a software error - but hey $5 is $5.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94