Freefall!

• Thread starter Deleted member 109724
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 109724

Has anyone ever tried letting a Phantom freefall from 400 feet onto asphalt or cement?

One of mine fell from about 50 ft after striking a tree. Landed on grass - still not a pretty picture. I was able to referb it, but anything higher would likely turn your bird into a parts donor!!

Look at this video from 09:00 minutes and you'll see a free fall of a P4Pv2 from 330 feet (100 meters) on pavement. I hope that's enough footage for you to never try to do this yourselves :)

My testament to DJI comes without video .
Phantom 2 Zenmuse Gimbal sent upwards into the night without care for the battery status .
Realizing that my experiment had worked , I soon realized that I could not see any status leds .
Red or Green .
Panicking , I pulled down on my left thumb .
Waiting for an uncomfortable amount of time , I noticed all of the leds were red :eek: .
She descended fast and became large faster than I care to admit .
I stood underneath her in an attempt to salvage any of my investment .
Feeling good about my positioning , I locked my hips , only to realize that this unit was heading straight for my head at an "Oh My God , what in the hell am I thinking rate of speed " ?

As I braced for a large repair bill , this beautiful out of control aerial photography unit powered up ! screamed to life ! Gained composure and landed at my **** feet .

And that was the beginning of this Love , Hate relationship .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Davious
I recently did 30 feet after a tree took exception to me. Still a painful thing, camera works ok but compass calibration is broken. I'm going to see what the quote from the shop is first. I suspect onto tarmac would be a pretty terminal.

Free Fall Calculator - Omni

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor