Free, all-in-one drone app: Feedback welcome!

Reaction score
Hey pilots,

SkyGrid here! We’re new to the Phantom Pilots community, so we’d like to give a quick intro. Based in Austin, Texas, SkyGrid is a joint venture between Boeing and SparkCognition (an AI company). We just launched a free, all-in-one drone app that we’d love your feedback on.

Now available in the iPad App Store, SkyGrid Flight Control provides a complete solution to check airspace, get LAANC, automate flights, and detect objects in real-time. We aim to help simplify your drone operations with one app that allows you to manage every phase of flight.

Here’s how it works:
  • Check airspace: Evaluate airspace classes, flight restrictions, elevation, local precipitation, wind speed and direction, and more.
  • Plan a flight: Specify your flight parameters to automatically generate area exploration, waypoint, and multi-objective missions.
  • Get LAANC authorization: If flying in U.S. controlled airspace near airports, request FAA LAANC authorization for auto-approval under 400 feet.
  • Launch or schedule mission: Connect your DJI drone and launch mission to autonomously perform the predefined flight plan, or schedule flight for a future date.
  • Detect objects: During flight, use our AI computer vision to detect key objects in the real-time video feed.
You can download SkyGrid Flight Control for free in the iPad App Store or learn more about the app on our website. We recommend using the DJI Phantom 4 Pro V2, Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 2 Enterprise, or Mavic Air to take full advantage of our automated flight capabilities.

Feel free to share any feedback directly in the forum.

Happy flying!
SkyGrid

Last edited:
Sounding off.
It looks like an excellent app. If it does what it says. I would be happy to download it. Why is it not recommended for Phantom 4 standard? Is it worth it for me to download it not being a part 107 pilot? Airmap just doesn’t seem to fit my needs as well as Kittyhawk. I need to uninstall Airmap as is just sits on my IPad taking space.There are things on your app that Kittyhawk doesn’t have. How much space does your app take? If your app does what it says, I then can eliminate both Kittyhawk and Airmap. That would be great to have one app that does it all.

Would be nice to have all these features in one place AND also be able to unlock DJI Geo Zones at the same time. Not sure if DJI includes those capabilities in their API.

From a programming and customer base point of view, I am wondering why you would neglect 87% of the mobile market by not having an Android version?

Sounding off.
It looks like an excellent app. If it does what it says. I would be happy to download it. Why is it not recommended for Phantom 4 standard? Is it worth it for me to download it not being a part 107 pilot? Airmap just doesn’t seem to fit my needs as well as Kittyhawk. I need to uninstall Airmap as is just sits on my IPad taking space.There are things on your app that Kittyhawk doesn’t have. How much space does your app take? If your app does what it says, I then can eliminate both Kittyhawk and Airmap. That would be great to have one app that does it all.
Hey there – Thanks for the reply! Breaking down your questions below:
  • Our app works as described!
  • We are compatible with the Phantom 4 standard, but the Phantom 4 V2+ is recommended to get the best performance and take full advantage of all features and functionality.
  • The app is useful for both recreational and commercial pilots – a Part 107 certification is not required!
  • Although we are working to reduce the size, our app is currently 926 MB. That’s primarily due to our AI computer vision capabilities that enable you to detect objects in real time.
Definitely open to any feedback or feature requests once you get a chance to try it out!

Last edited:
Would be nice to have all these features in one place AND also be able to unlock DJI Geo Zones at the same time. Not sure if DJI includes those capabilities in their API.

From a programming and customer base point of view, I am wondering why you would neglect 87% of the mobile market by not having an Android version?
We don’t support DJI Geo Zone, but we do offer geofencing capabilities as an enterprise feature. Feel free to contact our team if that’s something you’re interested in. Regarding Android, we hear you! We are planning to extend our app to other devices/operating systems in the near future, so we’ll definitely keep you in the loop.

a Part 107 certification is not required unless you want to fly in US controlled airspace.
Actually a Part 107 license is not a requirement to fly in controlled airspace. LAANC authorization is open to both recreational and commercial pilots.

@SkyGrid thanks for being a Vendor here at PP. I'm going to DL and play around with your App this weekend. It sounds VERY promising for Hobby and Commercial Operations.

Hey pilots,

SkyGrid here! We’re new to the Phantom Pilots community, so we’d like to give a quick intro. Based in Austin, Texas, SkyGrid is a joint venture between Boeing and SparkCognition (an AI company). We just launched a free, all-in-one drone app that we’d love your feedback on.

Now available in the iPad App Store, SkyGrid Flight Control provides a complete solution to check airspace, get LAANC, automate flights, and detect objects in real-time. We aim to help simplify your drone operations with one app that allows you to manage every phase of flight.

Here’s how it works:
  • Check airspace: Evaluate airspace classes, flight restrictions, elevation, local precipitation, wind speed and direction, and more.
  • Plan a flight: Specify your flight parameters to automatically generate area exploration, waypoint, and multi-objective missions.
  • Get LAANC authorization: If flying in U.S. controlled airspace near airports, request FAA LAANC authorization for auto-approval under 400 feet.
  • Launch or schedule mission: Connect your DJI drone and launch mission to autonomously perform the predefined flight plan, or schedule flight for a future date.
  • Detect objects: During flight, use our AI computer vision to detect key objects in the real-time video feed.
You can download SkyGrid Flight Control for free in the iPad App Store or learn more about the app on our website. We recommend using the DJI Phantom 4 V2+, Mavic 2+, or Mavic Air to take full advantage of our automated flight capabilities.

Happy flying!
SkyGrid

Just downloaded the app onto my iPad, and checked out some of the features (without being connected to a drone). These are my INITIAL thoughts...it's very basic and requires an Enterprise account for some of the advanced features. I would like to change my settings from metric to Imperial, but cannot find where to do so. The Settings icon just takes you to Help, no way to change units that I can find. Also, the available features to do a mapping flight are too basic, no way to set the overlap by percentage, and no way to orient the flight paths. This is going to take a lot more study and playing with - has some good and some bad, and I hope my mind will be changed after looking deeper into the app...

Just downloaded the app onto my iPad, and checked out some of the features (without being connected to a drone). These are my INITIAL thoughts...it's very basic and requires an Enterprise account for some of the advanced features. I would like to change my settings from metric to Imperial, but cannot find where to do so. The Settings icon just takes you to Help, no way to change units that I can find. Also, the available features to do a mapping flight are too basic, no way to set the overlap by percentage, and no way to orient the flight paths. This is going to take a lot more study and playing with - has some good and some bad, and I hope my mind will be changed after looking deeper into the app...
Hey there - Thanks so much for the helpful feedback. Our team is already working to address the metric to imperial option as soon as possible. We realize how important that is. I'll share the rest of your feedback with the team to make sure it's considered as we continue to roll out new features/functionality.

Hey pilots,

Howdy. Is Boeing simply an investor in the project or is this a project that they will actually be involved with and officially promote? If the latter, is there somewhere in the Boeing ecosystem that we can read about the project? Nothing wrong if they are just helping fund the project but it would be good to know the difference.

Best of luck,
Dave

Very confused! No android app, but you recommend the DJI Phantom 4 V2+ (which I assume is the P4Pro V2) which is an Android system, assuming the + refers to the RC with built in screen.

Hey pilots,

Here’s how it works:
You can download SkyGrid Flight Control for free in the iPad App Store or learn more about the app on our website. We recommend using the DJI Phantom 4 V2+, Mavic 2+, or Mavic Air to take full advantage of our automated flight capabilities.

Happy flying!
SkyGrid
Not available in THE UK.......

Very confused! No android app, but you recommend the DJI Phantom 4 V2+ (which I assume is the P4Pro V2) which is an Android system, assuming the + refers to the RC with built in screen.

I believe they mean V2 and future versions rather than the actual (+) with built-in controller.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.