Frank's Story

Good idea about the compass. Personally I cannot think of anything underground that could do it. All the local power lines are above ground. Its all protected land. :) But its funny though as the same thing happened to my Heli when I flew it quite a way off where I was today I am seriously wondering about the Radar Place down the road. You never know what they get up to in there.

If you read this you will see what I am on about RSRE, DRA, DERA and RADAR Especially if you read the second from last paragraph.

About the disconnect: Just tap disconnect and it will connect with the app again. Ore what I used to do is disconnect the cable for a second and put it back.

It says disconnect but your RC is still connected, as long there is a green led on your rc your in the clear. If its glowing red than its time to worry. Happy flying!

About the disconnect: Just tap disconnect and it will connect with the app again. Ore what I used to do is disconnect the cable for a second and put it back.

It says disconnect but your RC is still connected, as long there is a green led on your rc your in the clear. If its glowing red than its time to worry. Happy flying!

Thanks for the reply. So I just tap disconnect and it will reconnect but it stays saying Disconnected? Will give it a go this afternoon, wind permitting.

Thanks for the reply. So I just tap disconnect and it will reconnect but it stays saying Disconnected? Will give it a go this afternoon, wind permitting.

No, if you tap disconnect it should connect again. Otherwise, when nothing happens, just disconnect your cable and connect it again after a few seconds. As long your green led on the RC is on your still connected.

Ok, I am sure you will find this a little boring. I put a screen capture app on the tablet. After I set up the Heli I started the app to capture a typical pre flight run. For some reason the copter does not like connecting with the DJI app. I have tried different combinations of startups to try and get it the first time. Below is my latest effort.

A couple of things to look out for. Strong interference message a couple of times. The Sat signal. On the ground it sometimes gets a better signal than when I pick it up. As I said its not exactly riveting stuff but it will give you a feeling for some of the problems I am having. I still fly but it can take a lot of effort. Excuse the noise on the film I left it on so you could get a sense of how windy etc it was, you can also hear me turning on/off some of the elements to fly. :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
It seems like you are having these issues since the battery incident? It may be worth trying to pair the RC to the copter again.

It seems like you are having these issues since the battery incident? It may be worth trying to pair the RC to the copter again.

Thank you for the suggestion. However I have re-paired the RC and the Copter since. I think its the area I fly from. It may look and feel wide an empty but I do see to get some odd readings there.

Worth trying a different cable, from an old phone or something.
If you have one of these on an old camera cable it will do no harm to add it.

IMG_3029.jpg

How to make a very cheap and cheerful sunshade.

Pouring with rain outside. High winds etc. A little bored. So after looking for a reasonably priced sunshade for my tablet and not finding a good one at the right price I decided to make myself one. Unfortunately I did not have much of a selection of materials to choose from. Ideally it would be made from a white insulating material I have seen in the past but all I have to work with was an old cardboard box I was about to chuck out. Ok if it gets soaked it will probably fall to bits etc, but I am not flying in the rain. I am sure you will have some decent material to work with.

Got to say for something I just knocked up it works well. :) The tablet is secure and shaded. Enjoy

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Above is NOT the finished product, only half-way there in that.

Last edited:
Fun Times.

Today I thought no mistakes. Yeah right. Batteries fully charged in bag. SD Card formated in Heli. Tablet charged. RC charged. So I got to my spot just below the hills. Mission dead simple. Fly to the hills. Take a look at the sheep grazing up there. Fly to the top of the hill take a peek over and around. Simple.

Heli all set up. Record on. All clear. Take off.............. No. A message. Basically saying battery too cold. Never come across that before.

So out with the battery stuck it in my pocket. Walked the dog a bit. Removed from pocket to warm in my hands. Put it in the machine. Would it work? Yep fired up first time. Took off quite smoothly. Flew over to sheep on the hill. Did a little slide to catch them all. Up I went in height. Peeked over hill. Flew along hill, great footage. Did a 360* turn really slowly to catch the view. Flew back very nicely. Did a great landing. Decided to quit whilst I was ahead so to speak.

Anyone spot what I did wrong?

Got home. Put SD card into computer to see what I had. Sugar. After I took off second time............................. I had not pressed record. Darn (or words to that effect)

Franks Tip.(besides the above obvious ones)

As I said before put your SD card from your drone into your SD card adaptor as its easy to find. Also when you put it in the adaptor do it over a coat, your bag, rucksack. I put mine in the adapter but fumbled because of cold hands. Landed on the floor. Luckily I did not move but those things are so tiny and hard to spot. So now I do it over my open rucksack. Much easier to find if I drop it.

Nice car! Good news is your already used to expensive things breaking down! :) you'll love you Phantom! Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks for the compliment about the car. As for breakdowns its not, hopefully, the Phantom but me breaking down. I get it all set up nicely then get distracted, cold battery's etc, then do something stupid like forgetting to put the SD card in or not starting the recording. One day I will get it all setup. Go for a nice flight and go home. Just like I thought I did this morning.

Fun Times.

So out with the battery stuck it in my pocket. Walked the dog a bit. Removed from pocket to warm in my hands. Put it in the machine. Would it work? Yep fired up first time. Took off quite smoothly. Flew over to sheep on the hill. Did a little slide to catch them all. Up I went in height. Peeked over hill. Flew along hill, great footage. Did a 360* turn really slowly to catch the view. Flew back very nicely. Did a great landing. Decided to quit whilst I was ahead so to speak.

I have had this low temp message a couple of times recently with bad UK weather! I think it warns you 15 deg C and below. All I do is let the bird hover for a couple of mins and you will be surprised how quickly the batt temp rises and then your ready to go. Much quicker than walking the dog and hoping for it to warm up. Forecast is snow this weekend as well!

Hey Frank. Some of us don't have it like that. Sooooooooooo spread the love around brother! !!!!!!!!!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic