Frank's Story

It's also advisable for the first ten flights to only fly the battery down to 50% and then recharge. This helps the lipo battery to acclimate and will give you better lifetime battery results.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Did you also do an IMU calibration out of the box? I didn't realise you're supposed to do this but you are - and there are specific instructions for it. And then calibrate the gimbal as well. Supposed to do all this before you fly for the first time.

No I didnt. Will have to look into that.

Right now my may two problems to solve are :-

1. I cannot get it into follow me mode. Done all the advanced settings. Flown 30m Upwards. Gone from P to F. No follow me mode nothing.
2. After the first time I flew I plugged the drone via a cable into the computer. The computer installed drivers for it. I downloaded all the videos. Today tried to do the same, nothing. Tried restarting computer , drone etc nothing. So I went into device drivers. Found an exclamation mark against it. So I deleted it. restarted computer. Plugged drone in again......... nothing. Tried all sorts.

God its as bad as owning a car.

No I didnt. Will have to look into that.

Right now my may two problems to solve are :-

1. I cannot get it into follow me mode. Done all the advanced settings. Flown 30m Upwards. Gone from P to F. No follow me mode nothing.
2. After the first time I flew I plugged the drone via a cable into the computer. The computer installed drivers for it. I downloaded all the videos. Today tried to do the same, nothing. Tried restarting computer , drone etc nothing. So I went into device drivers. Found an exclamation mark against it. So I deleted it. restarted computer. Plugged drone in again......... nothing. Tried all sorts.

God its as bad as owning a car.
you ain't seen nothing yet.

Reactions: FrequentFlyer
Ok. These are a couple of screen captures. One just to show what happens when I go from P to F
instead of FOLLOW ME, and WAYPOINTS etc I get this :-
I have gone into settings and advanced and changed the settings there. Only went to try follow me after I was very high.

So any ideas as to why I am not getting follow me etc? It must be something stupidly simple....

The only thing I can come up with is that I have an earlier version of the software installed?

Ok. Just gone into the DJI APP

This is what I have.

App. 2.5.0
Remote Controller 1.5.70
Aircraft 1.3.2

I know they all require updating. Cannot do it until I get the SD card adaptor.

So should I be getting follow me etc with this software?

Sorted!

My first problem downloading from the micro SD card on the aircraft. Simple solution, knew there would be, I was plugging it into the drone and not the gimble. Plugged it into the gimble. Downloaded everything to computer. Wiped card. Loaded it with the updates. Aircraft now updating as we speak :)

As for not having the Follow Me mode that, apparently is because I am running on 1.3 and the update for Follow Me etc came out on 1.4 So after its finished updating to 1.6 it should be OK.

Thanks for all the advice guys. :) Got there in the end!

Bonus.

Something I was not expecting. I have a Samsung S6 phone that I use to run the DJI app I noticed that if I connected the phone to the controller before turning on the app the battery charge screen came up. Well today to ensure it was not my imagination I took note of the power level before I started. 78% battery. I had left the controller on for an hour or so now my phone is reading 100% charge.

Time to give back. :)

Franks Tip.

I found it hard to run 4K video on my computer. Eventually I found a player on my computer that would play back the video but it had its limits. Obviously your computer still needs a good graphics card etc to play back well, so dont blame this software if its still a little jerky ;)
Now I have found a player, with a weird name, Gom. It is FREE, lovely word that.This player will play back 4K as good as anything I have but it also has the added bonus in that you can take photos from your videos So you play back your video. Pause it, move frames etc. click the Photo Icon and it takes that frame and it stores it on your computer for you. Allowing you to manipulate it later in whatever software you like. It also shows you on screen where its stored it.

Here is a link FileHippo.com - Download Free Software As I said its free.

I extracted this photo from a 1020p, not 4k, from a video I did yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flying Dutchman
I have heard many say you should do an IMU Calibration. Well I for one had no idea what a IMU is let alone how to calibrate it so I did a search and came up with this video. Basically tells you what it is and how to do it.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hope someone finds this helpful. :)

Reactions: cash70
Having just calibrated the IMU. I did the same for the Gimbal. Did not think either needed it but did it just to be on the safe side as it were.

Whilst calibrating the Gimbal I noticed there were 3 configuration settings marked 1,2,3. So I have tried to look them up but all I can find at the moment are FPV - FOLLOW -APTI? not too sure if that last one is right. For clarity again. They are NOT marked FPV-FOLLOW- etc Just configuration 1, Configuration 2, Configuration 3.

Mine currently has configuration 3 highlighted so I assume that is the default?

So have they simply renamed the above to 1,2,3? or is there more to it than that? Can someone clarify what each does?

Thanks in advance. :)

frankc the 1.2.3 settings is for your own configurations of the camera. mine is default number 1, but i can set a new configuration to 2 and 3 if need be. i just use default number 1.

Two errors ....
Error two as the drone sat on the ground just idling I let go of the controls. Then watched as the drone slooooowly tipped on its side then tumbled over onto the props. The engines cut out. That was error two. I should have landed closer to me. I ran over. Put the drone onto level ground and tried to start up to spin off any water. Nothing. Lights flashing etc but it would not respond. So I took the battery out and headed for home.

If you have successfully landed on a flat surface, hold the left stick down to shut off the motors asap, it takes about 3 seconds for the motors to shut down. If you leave it idling a gust of wind can tip it over during an idle. It's best to shut the motors down asap after landing, safer too. If you ever run prop guards, tipping is a even bigger problem because it's more top heavy, with the added weight extended beyond the props. I don't recommend prop guards when flying outdoors.

If you cannot land in a flat area, or say it's too wet to land, or the wind suddenly comes up and it's too windy to land (in fear of tipping and breaking a prop) you can learn to hand catch the bird. This skill set will come in handy when you get surprised with circumstances beyond your control. This includes a dog wandering by that wants to eat the bird, and you're battery is exhausted, you have to land. Or maybe there are kids that are running around suddenly in the area and you don't want to risk them rushing over to see it, potentially touching it.

When landing, just let the bird hover in place 6' off the ground for 10-15 seconds to insure it's stable. Walk toward and approach the bird slowly, carefully grab one the vertical landing gear posts with your right hand, staying clear of the props of course. Don't move the bird, hold it in place 6' off the ground. The motors will be spinning away at this point and it will fight to stay in place if you tug at it. AFTER you grab the bird firmly, hold the left stick down on the RC to turn off the motors with your left hand. It takes about 3 seconds for the motors to shut down, after it realizes it's not moving (you holding it still in place 6' off the ground). Once the motors go off, then you can lower the bird from 6', set the RC down somewhere in a safe place so you have both hands available, then turn off the bird battery using the button, push, push+hold.

Last edited:
Reactions: LWC1496
Ok sorted out the Configuration settings for the Gimbal. Go to 13.09 on this video. Here you will see what I was on about. :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Had another good day flying today. I try to fly every day, weather depending, no matter how cold it is outside. Each trip I try different settings regarding the video. What works and what does not. On the actual flight I take off then switch to F and try one of those functions. Land. Take off and just practice on the P mode, so I do not get to reliant on F. Gives you a greater sense of control when you can fly in a circle in P mode etc. Bit like learning to drive all over again. I should think eventually it will become second nature.

Lots of low cloud today. Flew as high as I could trying to get above it but when I got to the ceiling height is was still a complete white out. I dropped out of the clouds. What I missed was, perhaps because of the small screen, water droplets on the camera lens. So Franks Tip for today. If you fly in fog or low cloud check for water drops on your lens, could ruin your entire filming. If I had know I would have landed. Cleaned the lens. Taken off again. Instead I have an irritating blob/s on the entire video.
Just dropping out of cloud.jpg

Water spots.jpg

By the way its not bad settings, the horizon was entirely greyed out. I flew in a fine drizzle. Still enjoyed it though.

Just ordered one of these on a recommendation of a member, sorry I will look up your name. New SHIELD tablet K1 for Gamers Of course I did look up quite a few reviews and the tablet is rated extremely highly by the reviews I have seen. Its in the moderate price range. £149 in UK. Can handle 4K. Has GLOSNAS GPS etc so it fits the bill so to speak.

This will freeup my phone so I can actually use it as a phone. Will also allow me to play back recorded stuff in 4k.

Also that moisture is going to get into your electronics. General consensus around here is that's not not a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Frankc

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers