FPVLR air side booster + rubbercomping (pics)

That looks so cool. I'm not that talented or patient to get mine to look like that. How much to send mine to you and have you coat it [emoji6]

If you find me and bring it to me personally, i will do it for free lol. Buy a can of plastidip from local store and rubberize something else first if you want to know how it reacts. It's far more forgiving than normal spray paint. I believe plastidip needs 4-5 thin coats and it will looks just the same.

Air side booster install and rubbercomp, similar to plastidip.

phantom1.jpg

phantom2.jpg

phantom3.jpg

phantom4.jpg

phantom5.jpg

phantom6.jpg

phantom7.jpg

phantom8.jpg

phantom9.jpg

phantom10.jpg

phantom11.jpg

phantom12.jpg

phantom13.jpg

phantom14.jpg

phantom15.jpg
Hi there. I could use a little help. I have the bird side mod and I am not sure how to solder the power wires. On the booster.
Do you have any pics , where you did this.??? Any help would be great. thanks.

Oh sorry, it's port 2 and 3, flpvlr said 1 and 4 before. I will edit my post.
I was wondering about the ports for video. I read your post and setup the 2A booster on port #2 and set it up with a 3 petal cloverleaf. Port #2 corresponds with the front right leg antenna. This is on a P3Adv with the old motors. Tried several scenarios to see if it improved video reception. #1: Amp and cloverleaf. #2: No power to amp. #3: No power to amp and antenna removed. In all instances 4K is as far as it went before losing video. Same distance I got without the mod. On occasion it would do a return to home even when showing full control signal?

Something isn't right.. at some point tony/fplvr said that older phantoms used ports 1 and 4, and new ones 2 and 3.. but no sure, since they updated their website and says just 1 and 4 now (for all). Try to find RF power meter and measure or just try another port, if that doesnt help maybe the amp is fried. Is it fpvlr kit?

Something isn't right.. at some point tony/fplvr said that older phantoms used ports 1 and 4, and new ones 2 and 3.. but no sure, since they updated their website and says just 1 and 4 now (for all). Try to find RF power meter and measure or just try another port, if that doesn't help maybe the amp is fried. Is it fpvlr kit?
Yeah my next step is try the other port, maybe mine is 1/4 which I thought was the older config. The amp, antenna etc is from Banggod ($25 with antenna wires), had to resolder the plus power wire as it had come off in shipping. Trying to get the P3A to go as far as my old P2 that went over 6K (3.5 miles) a year and a half ago. Have the old P2 and another P2/H3-2D new in box from back than. Not worth getting rid of plus I consider them my non geo screwed with units!

Something isn't right.. at some point tony/fplvr said that older phantoms used ports 1 and 4, and new ones 2 and 3.. but no sure, since they updated their website and says just 1 and 4 now (for all). Try to find RF power meter and measure or just try another port, if that doesnt help maybe the amp is fried. Is it fpvlr kit?

N3 is the correct leg the pinwheel should be wired to.
Here is FPLVR/ TONY LISTING

What is involved in the mod

there is a rp-sma female connectors that need to be installed on one of the stock wires. One of the stock antennas running in one of the legs (The N.2 and N.3 antennas is for sure Video transmission) N.3 is located on the rear right left leg. This new version of the kit is shipped with a u.fl to rp-sma female cable so the rf cable does not need to be soldered like before.The main shell needs to be opened and the 5v regulator (UBEC) needs to be soldered to the mains. One more soldering job of the ubec output to the 5v input of the mini amp and it’s done. Simple but you need to know what you are doing and have good temperature controlled soldering station and know how to use it.”

Tony is working on mine today and will be shipping back
to me on Monday.
Kevin

N3 is the correct leg the pinwheel should be wired to.
Here is FPLVR/ TONY LISTING

What is involved in the mod

there is a rp-sma female connectors that need to be installed on one of the stock wires. One of the stock antennas running in one of the legs (The N.2 and N.3 antennas is for sure Video transmission) N.3 is located on the rear right left leg. This new version of the kit is shipped with a u.fl to rp-sma female cable so the rf cable does not need to be soldered like before.The main shell needs to be opened and the 5v regulator (UBEC) needs to be soldered to the mains. One more soldering job of the ubec output to the 5v input of the mini amp and it’s done. Simple but you need to know what you are doing and have good temperature controlled soldering station and know how to use it.”

Tony is working on mine today and will be shipping back
to me on Monday.
Kevin
So N2 should work also, like I have it?

"The N.2 and N.3 antennas is for sure Video transmission". So only N3 is really for video?

"The N.2 and N.3 antennas is for sure Video transmission". So only N3 is really for video?

Yes, there is a sending signal leg and a receiving signal leg.
not sure what leg is what ,but all I know from tony is N3 is
the homerun leg.

Kevin

Yes, there is a sending signal leg and a receiving signal leg.
not sure what leg is what ,but all I know from tony is N3 is
the homerun leg.

Kevin
Well set up the amp and clover on N3 and since N2 needed something I threw a heavy *** straight antenna on it. Straight on right and clover on left. Went out and managed 5km but both signals went out once or twice between 4km and 5km. You wouldn't think there was so much voodoo in reliable info on the "N" pole functions? I guess I'll locate a freq meter and find out. Who knows maybe DJI could shed some light on this. I image an electrical schematic is wishful thinking? Funny how the P3A or P (have both) give such a pretty picture but has a hard time getting to 6km as my mildly modified P2 does.

Last edited:
Hey, I forgot to ask if you've taken yours out for a spin and if so what results did you get?

Well......Took the P3Adv out with the air side amp and clover on N3 and 5km was maxed again with dropouts and the occasional RTH. I always run a wind surfer on my Phantoms and had a double 3D print one on during all my air side tests.Just to compare I also took out my P3Pro out with just the 3D printed windsurfer and got out to 6km which is the limit for a P2 or P3 without a battery mod. I had to climb to 180m at 5km to keep the signal good but usually stay at 120m (400ish feet). I have come to the conclusion the air side mod is not beneficial and looking around for comments on air side install others have done I find nothing. If someone has a before and after result on the air side please chime in, I'm curious. For now I'll pull the air side stuff and wire my control for panels and maybe try a Sunhans amp I used to use on my P2. Even on the P2 I scrapped the amp because the windsurfer worked out to battery distance of 6km. I have rigged the P3Adv for 2 zippy 2200 mah batts but discovered my old charger stops at 3S. One is on the way now. The battery mod is the only reason I'm exploring panels and amps again. Love the challenge! Thanks for the input, it's appreciated.

Well......Took the P3Adv out with the air side amp and clover on N3 and 5km was maxed again with dropouts and the occasional RTH. I always run a wind surfer on my Phantoms and had a double 3D print one on during all my air side tests.Just to compare I also took out my P3Pro out with just the 3D printed windsurfer and got out to 6km which is the limit for a P2 or P3 without a battery mod. I had to climb to 180m at 5km to keep the signal good but usually stay at 120m (400ish feet). I have come to the conclusion the air side mod is not beneficial and looking around for comments on air side install others have done I find nothing. If someone has a before and after result on the air side please chime in, I'm curious. For now I'll pull the air side stuff and wire my control for panels and maybe try a Sunhans amp I used to use on my P2. Even on the P2 I scrapped the amp because the windsurfer worked out to battery distance of 6km. I have rigged the P3Adv for 2 zippy 2200 mah batts but discovered my old charger stops at 3S. One is on the way now. The battery mod is the only reason I'm exploring panels and amps again. Love the challenge! Thanks for the input, it's appreciated.

Are you telling me that you don't have the v2 antennas and don't have
booster amps and you are using the windsurfers!!!!!

you need the v2 antennas and boosters to make this all work to
it's fullest .
Windsurfers are not reliable past 6000 feet.

Kevin

You can't mix clover antennas and linear antennas.As i saw you have cloverleaf antenna on the phantom and the stock linear on the remote control,i believe thats the problem.You have to use the fpvlr circular antenna to the remote control also for the best results or to replace the clover antenna on the phantom with a linear one or an fpvlr dipole antenna.

Went 6km which is 19685 feet on Stock P3pro with a $10 dual 3D printed windsurfer today. Oh and that's not an airport below, just a long deadend road in the desert. I got back with 13% battery.

View media item 1113

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-14-20-56-15.png
    Screenshot_2016-02-14-20-56-15.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 346
Last edited:
You can't mix clover antennas and linear antennas.As i saw you have cloverleaf antenna on the phantom and the stock linear on the remote control,i believe thats the problem.You have to use the fpvlr circular antenna to the remote control also for the best results or to replace the clover antenna on the phantom with a linear one or an fpvlr dipole antenna.
Thanks! I'll wire the leads into my controller tomorrow and try that. On the P2 which I've gotten 6KM I run stock except for the windsurfer I made and the 5.8g video which is a 1amp tx with a clover I routed to mount on the top shell to the side of the gps and a cheap $10 2" square panel on the rx. The P2 never really had an issue on control with just a windsurfer, even though early on I set up a 2amp Sunhans 2.4g on the TX. Might go back to it on the P2 if I battery mod it for distance. I'm not selling my 2 P2's because there not tied to the web and or geofenced. I actually tried the EasyCap and EasyCap viewer on the same Nvidea Shield I use on the P3 and may quite using my monitor, nice video and less bulky. I have a Amoway RX with DVR that worked better than my Black Pearl. BUT the P3's are soooooo **** easy to chuck in a fitted backpack and go!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl