FPV w/ Galaxy S4 Not Working

Reaction score
I'm at a complete loss as to why I am having so many issues getting the image from my phantom's camera to display in the Pilot app. I've downloaded the latest version from the website, uninstalled and re-installed and I still get really weird behavior.

I do briefly see a message when starting up about a weak video signal and then it goes away. I then see an image from the camera and if I am holding it in my hand with the controller and the app open, it sometimes updates the image as I move it around, but not very slowly. It also tends to lock up with an image and doesn't change after I move the gimbal up and down or even turn the phantom pointing it do a different location.

I've tried changing the setting for Video from auto to custom and selecting a channel and that doesn't seem to work either.

Does anyone have any suggestions on other steps to troubleshoot? It sucks not being able to fly this with FPV!

I'm running Android 5.0 on a rooted Galaxy S4.

Change your USB cable.
Some don't work properly and do nothing but charge. Some are both charge and data but poorly built and may not shield properly and hence loses signal quality when data is sent.

Change your USB cable.
Some don't work properly and do nothing but charge. Some are both charge and data but poorly built and may not shield properly and hence loses signal quality when data is sent.
Thanks. I just tried using my original Galaxy S4 USB cable and that didn't work. Whenever I have had issues with USB cables with this phone, that was the one that always solved the problem. And it didn't in this case. Based on the reviews on the google play store, it appears that I'm not the only one having these types of problems.

So disappointing to have a $1300 non-FPV quadcopter.

Thanks. I just tried using my original Galaxy S4 USB cable and that didn't work. Whenever I have had issues with USB cables with this phone, that was the one that always solved the problem. And it didn't in this case. Based on the reviews on the google play store, it appears that I'm not the only one having these types of problems.

So disappointing to have a $1300 non-FPV quadcopter.

Where did you get the DJI Pilot app from - the Android Play store or DJI actual site?
The one from the play store does NOT work!!!
Goto to DJI and take the QR photo and the app will download or download using your S4.

Where did you get the DJI Pilot app from - the Android Play store or DJI actual site?
The one from the play store does NOT work!!!
Goto to DJI and take the QR photo and the app will download or download using your S4.
I downloaded it from the DJI website. I was just looking at the reviews on the play store to see if other people had similar issues.

Just wanted to update this. I got this reply over on the DJI forums. Anyone know if it is possible to downgrade the firmware or where to download that and the old version of the Android app from?

"I was flying with the old firmware and the old app 1.0.9 ? and FPV worked perfectly on my Galaxy S4 Android 5.0. Since updating firmware and app the FPV is crap, it is exactly as mbuhler has described. I'm not too concerned with not being able to see FPV, but I only get height and distance every few seconds when the image updates and I'm not a big fan of this... Hope DJI Fixes."

I have the Professional,
Using the s4 with it is very frustrating, the app lags so much its nearly unusable. (i do get a picture though)
It crashes frequently and slows the phone to a craw... I'm scared to fly with it.
I run the latest drone firmware, latest official Samsung firmware and the latest Pilot app.

Used Clean Master to kill everything that I could, still runs terrible :(

Last edited:
I'm considering buying a P3 Advanced. However, my phone is a Galaxy S4, and I don't want to have to get a new phone just to run the DJI app! Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Also, I lost my P2V in the sea of sagebrush around here (Pocatello, ID) since July 3rd or so. I should have asked it to take a picture, downloaded it, and should have then taken the GPS coordinates from the EXIF. But I didn't do that because I panicked a little, I guess. After many hikes, I still didn't find it. It was flying on autopilot (Groundstation) but all the coordinate history seemed to have been lost. When I tried using the "Where's my Phantom" function in the Settings, it gave me the home coordinates! Any ideas? I suppose I should just order a P3 and use it to find the P2V, hoping that it is still worth resurrecting! Any ideas?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic