FPV range with Ibcrazy Blue Beam Ultra

Reaction score
Anyone tried the Ibcrazy Blue Beam Ultra antennas ? I just wondering what sort of range you are getting for fpv as I stugggle to get a range greater than 800m.

I have also wondered what orientation they are supposed to be. I have them mounted vertical on the Blackpearl and upside down on the P2. Also using the immersion 600mw transmitter on the P2.

First and foremost, it really depends on your flying location, obstacles in LOS, and other factors.

I had the blubeams. Loved the quality and the protective caps. In my suburb, I would only get about 600m. In a forest preserve, I was getting about 1000 before it broke down. Went the FPVLR premium bundle route, and got around 1800m in that same forest preserve before fpv deteriorated. However, in the sAme suburb, I still only get just above 500m. Put on the stock pigtails and get above 500 as well. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The blue beam ultras are good antenna. They for sure outperform my fatshark spironet that I have mounted on my P2 since day one . I mounted the air screw straight down with the 90 angle connector that came with the blue beams. If you want long range FPV, they may not be the best antenna, helical antenna will be the one you will needed. I got the blue beam because I want a higher quality antenna for the video transmitter to broadcast. On my black pearl, I have a helical antenna and the mad mushroom now. I am getting crystal clear signal passed 1.1km, surpassed my radio range. One thing good about having a CIR polarizer antenna is when you are flying behind you or not be able to have a good point at the quad. Other than that, helical antenna will for sure outperform them in range.

Anyone tried the Ibcrazy Blue Beam Ultra antennas ? I just wondering what sort of range you are getting for fpv as I stugggle to get a range greater than 800m.

I have also wondered what orientation they are supposed to be. I have them mounted vertical on the Blackpearl and upside down on the P2. Also using the immersion 600mw transmitter on the P2.

As thestone11 suggests, I think you need to swap one of the Black Pearl ones for a helical. I used a 4.5 turn FPVLR one and it is very good. I even have good results using it with a 25mw Immersion RC tx.

As thestone11 suggests, I think you need to swap one of the Black Pearl ones for a helical. I used a 4.5 turn FPVLR one and it is very good. I even have good results using it with a 25mw Immersion RC tx.

thanks for the replies....time to shop on Ebay for a helical.

I will stay away from eBay! Not saying eBay won't have decent stuff! Nothing worst than ordering stuff that doesn't look anything like the photos and no first hand information!

I have this $15 helical antenna from hobbyking. Awesome antenna and a decent performer:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Turn_5_8GHz_Helical_Antenna_RHCP_SMA_RP_.html

Before I purchased the FPVLR bundle, I had the same aomway helical. It works well and may be the best bang for your buck out there. I'm not yet convinced that it performs any worse than the FPVLR based only limited tests.

Definitely worth throwing on there with the blubeams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Saturday I did a full proper test of the system in the same location.
I tried:
First flight - FPVLR cloverleaf on the bird and on the Black Pearl, and paired with the FPVLR 5 coil helical. Result black lines appearing on video at around 800m which were bad enough to put me off going any further.
Second Flight - Blue Beam Air Screw on Bird, Blue Beam Mad Mushroom on BP paired with FPVLR 5 coil helical. Result 1.7kms bit fuzzy on return till 800m
Third Flight - Blue Beam Air Screw on Bird, Spironet on BP paired with FPVLR 5 coil helical. Identical to second flight - 1.7kms bit fuzzy on return till around 800m.
I wanted to test with the Spironet on the bird, but ran out of time. It won't be quite the same doing it on a different day and time.

I'm very happy with the BB ultras on the bird and receiver, but it does seem to need a directional antenna such as the 5 coil helical to get much further than that.

With a Blue Beam Ultra antenna on the Immersion TX on the Phantom 2, and a Blue Beam Ultra as one of the antennae on the FlySight Black Pearl diversity monitor (the other being the standard antenna which comes with the monitor on the monitor) I have been getting phenomenal results. Much to my surprise I discovered that not pointing the antennae up at the Phantom but pointing them more or less horizontally along the ground (in the general direction of the Phantom) I find I am getting a perfectly steady and clear image on the screen. I have the Aom 7coil helical antenna on order - out of interest to see if I can do any better, but now with the excellent results I am getting, I wonder if it's worth the small expense. The sort of distance I am talking about is and altitude of 85m and 115m horizontally - far enough that I cannot see the craft - I can hear it - but I can see what the GoPro camera is seeing as well as the OSD information about its position. It's a truly awesome setup. When I read the distances mentioned up there, I am amazed - however, bear in mind that I am very new to this and am exploring cautiously and pushing the boundaries little by little.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic