FPV on DJI Pilot App Jerky / Slow and Unclear.

Reaction score
Hey, I have connected my Iphone 5s with the DJI Pilot app and connects fine to the Phantom 3 Pro. I have noticed that the Iphone will get very hot along with the Phantom controller. Also, the DJI app which is showing the FPV display can go very jerky and slow. This often happens towards the middle / later stages of the flight and am very unsure why.
I have also changed the phone to a Samsung S3 and the same problem occurs.

Does anyone have the same problem or does anyone know the solution to the problem?

Hey, I have connected my Iphone 5s with the DJI Pilot app and connects fine to the Phantom 3 Pro. I have noticed that the Iphone will get very hot along with the Phantom controller. Also, the DJI app which is showing the FPV display can go very jerky and slow. This often happens towards the middle / later stages of the flight and am very unsure why.
I have also changed the phone to a Samsung S3 and the same problem occurs.

Does anyone have the same problem or does anyone know the solution to the problem?
If they're in a case, remove them from the case so they can breathe.

I'm wondering if operating it in 40c heat will have an effect on it too. This could add to the overheating issue on the phones.
I will remove the case on the iPhone next time. The Samsung was without the case. Thanks for the tip. I'm sure there may be a different issue with it too.

I suspect part of the problem might be apps that the phones are running in the background. The Pilot app is CPU intensive and requires a lot of processing power. While the S3 will run the app, it's going to be slow from the start. You may want to go into the settings, click on the HD icon and then change Auto to Custom. You can if there is a better channel but also you can reduce the MB's sent to the display device which make improve the smoothness of the display.

Edit: Try lowering it from 6MB down to 4MB.

Last edited:
I suspect part of the problem might be apps that the phones are running in the background. The Pilot app is CPU intensive and requires a lot of processing power. While the S3 will run the app, it's going to be slow from the start. You may want to go into the settings, click on the HD icon and then change Auto to Custom. You can if there is a better channel but also you can reduce the MB's sent to the display device which make improve the smoothness of the display.

Edit: Try lowering it from 6MB down to 4MB.

Thanks. I have tried this but it did not solve the problem. It's fine for 10 minutes then the FPV starts to slow and there becomes a delay in loading the video. The phone becomes very hot and the battery drains. I live in a very hot country but I would not think this will effect it too much.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. or is there a problem with the phone.

Try flying early in the morning before it gets to hot as a test, if it transmits FPV OK then it is an overheating issue. This has come up with people using a covered device as the Pilot app is very CPU intensive. I think we are going to see more of this as the summer progresses here also. I am thinking I may get the most powerful CPU/GPU combination tablet I can find to mitigate this, we will see as my P3 arrives Friday.

Thanks. I have tried this but it did not solve the problem. It's fine for 10 minutes then the FPV starts to slow and there becomes a delay in loading the video. The phone becomes very hot and the battery drains. I live in a very hot country but I would not think this will effect it too much.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. or is there a problem with the phone.

I have had same problem while flying in middle of the day, when the temps are high. My iPhone gets hot and the FPV gets very slow and pixilated. Try flying when it's cooler, mornings or evenings.

Just to keep people updated; I have also tried this with a new Ipad Mini 2. It is better but the problem still occurred in the later stages of the flight. Again, it was about 35 degrees out when using it. I think this is the problem. Hopefully the DJI App will be updated soon to make it less CPU thirsty. Is anyone else having the same problem?

My iPad mini 3 definitely heats up pretty bad during the mid-late portion of the flight just like the issues you're having. I find that caching my maps ahead of time, going into airplane mode, removing the iPad from its case and stopping all apps except DJI pilot app seems to help a lot my iPad isn't getting nearly as hot.

I also use an iPad mini 2 for my Pilot app and the FPV begins to get choppy after 7-10 minutes as well. I used an iPhone 6 Plus and did not have any issues with the FPV video. Has anyone tried an iPad AIR 2?

If it works well from the beginning then slow Los down later it sounds like either a possible hardware or firmware problem. Hardware may be heat related most likely. Firmware could be how the device handles the streaming if data and has some sort of caching or other issue.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic