FPV monitor for Phantom 2

Flying fox said:
Looks like it's relying on this to some degree, quote"• High brightness, contrast ratio & Dizzy-proof monitor with sun shade, to see clearly under sunshine"
Not sure what Dizzy-proof is but hope it works.The main intended use is sighting the camera as opposed to full on fpv flight.

High brightness?? The rated brightness is 200cd/m2 the first screen I use (for framing shots, not full on FPV) was 450cd/m2 and I ditched that for a 1000cd/m2. I had also designed and made an aluminium sheet metal sun shroud for the first screen (it was bigger and more enclosed than any other screen shade I'd seen) but as I mentioned in another thread a week or so ago, I was out on day, seen a kangaroo and was able to safely fly in the area, so I took off, but I couldn't tell if I had the roo in the shoot, I couldn't see it that's why I went for the higher rated screen.

As for dizzy-proof, using googles for FPV flying disorientates some people, using a monitor doesn't have this effect (this coming from the guy who used to sit in the middle of the "Gravitron" ride and operate it :) if you had any ear/balance issues, that would find them lol)

HavasuPhoto and Creative68,

I am following your FPV discussion with considerable interest. I am flying a Phantom 2 with DJI factory gimbal, GoPro Hero3+ and Fatshark Attitude SD goggles. I flew my Phantom 1 into the Sea of Cortez last month, which helped me justify acquisition of the P2. ;-) Very happy with the new ship. I am using the standard stick antennas that came with Fatshark, whatever their called (non CP I believe), and the standard 250mW transmitter. Interested in extending my FPV range (and flying range, but that’s a topic for another day). Application is video and stills for real estate marketing. So don’t need real-time fighter jet feedback, but good intel on what the Hero 3+ is seeing near real time. Not price sensitive on the right platform/technology. Reasonably competent at soldering, integration, firmware upgrades, etc. Flight time is not critical, and I would accept shorter flight time for greater video range (i.e., higher power video transmitter, if that’s the ticket). And of course nav assistance when P2 is too far away for visual fix on orientation. Agree with HavasuPhoto that flying out of video range is risky, and thus trying to extend video range to match or slightly exceed P2 control range. Several questions, if either of you have time:
1. What total flight range are you seeing on your P2? Video range?
2. I am still on stock antennas that came with Fatshark attitude SD. My sense based on research online is that CP antennas are going to be the single best bang-for-buck on extending video range. Comments?
3. I am not hearing too much about goggles. Do the majority of serious UAV folks go screens? Never tried a screen, but can see the obvious benefits of switching between watching the ship itself and the screen, versus putting goggles on and off.
4. Can someone tell me whether the Fatshark Attitude SD is SMA or RP-SMA? Sorry to be ignorant newbie on this.
5. Iosd mini versus iosd Mark II? What are the differences, and which is best for a P2 platform? I have watched the videos on the Mark II, and have a decent sense of data provided. Does the mini burn less weight and power? Or just cost less?
6. Total newbie question: is the video transmission either SD or HD, or is there only one video transmission signal, and SD/HD is solely a function of receiver equipment? In other words, I have SD googles today, can the same Fatshark transmitter drive an HD receiver such as the Lilliput 664?
7. I am leaning toward the Lilliput 664 screen. Questions there:
a. I can’t seem to find what the battery requirements for it are. I have a bunch of 3S LiPo’s left over from my Phantom 1. Will those power the Lilliput 664?
b. Will the video transmitter that came with my Fatshark Attitude SD’s work? Is it the best option for max range? If not, what transmitter is recommended?
c. Antenna connector polarity?
d. Would be delighted if someone could spec exactly which components I need to order for a Lilliput 664 based system off P2 with DJI Zenmuse gimbal and GoPro 3+. Reusing fatshark transmitter only if that is the best range option.
8. Anyone tracking waypoint software / systems? Gotta major jones for what must be coming in that domain.
9. While I love my initial experiences with Fatshark Attitude SD and Zenmuse, the tilt action is not the least bit smooth. Anyone know if we will soon see smoother tilt functionality? I am guessing I won’t see that until there is a 3-axis gimbal that works with Phantom + GoPro.

Thanks all!
Kelly

wkf94025 said:
HavasuPhoto and Creative68,
Answers in red
I am following your FPV discussion with considerable interest. I am flying a Phantom 2 with DJI factory gimbal, GoPro Hero3+ and Fatshark Attitude SD goggles. I flew my Phantom 1 into the Sea of Cortez last month, which helped me justify acquisition of the P2. ;-) Very happy with the new ship. I am using the standard stick antennas that came with Fatshark, whatever their called (non CP I believe), and the standard 250mW transmitter. Interested in extending my FPV range (and flying range, but that’s a topic for another day). Application is video and stills for real estate marketing. So don’t need real-time fighter jet feedback, but good intel on what the Hero 3+ is seeing near real time. Not price sensitive on the right platform/technology. Reasonably competent at soldering, integration, firmware upgrades, etc. Flight time is not critical, and I would accept shorter flight time for greater video range (i.e., higher power video transmitter, if that’s the ticket). And of course nav assistance when P2 is too far away for visual fix on orientation. Agree with HavasuPhoto that flying out of video range is risky, and thus trying to extend video range to match or slightly exceed P2 control range. Several questions, if either of you have time:
1. What total flight range are you seeing on your P2? Video range?Don't have one-don't know.
2. I am still on stock antennas that came with Fatshark attitude SD. My sense based on research online is that CP antennas are going to be the single best bang-for-buck on extending video range. Comments?Sprionet CP antenna's, and get SMA-check your instruction manual it will tell you what you have.
3. I am not hearing too much about goggles. Do the majority of serious UAV folks go screens? Never tried a screen, but can see the obvious benefits of switching between watching the ship itself and the screen, versus putting goggles on and off.I use the screen more than the Goggles-easier to tell depth of field/distance from objects
4. Can someone tell me whether the Fatshark Attitude SD is SMA or RP-SMA? Sorry to be ignorant newbie on this.SMA-both antenna's should have pin sticking out of them inside the collar
5. Iosd mini versus iosd Mark II? What are the differences, and which is best for a P2 platform? I have watched the videos on the Mark II, and have a decent sense of data provided. Does the mini burn less weight and power? Or just cost less?You can only use the iOSD Mini-the other one is for larger aircraft-won't work in P2. It's a good investment, I have one and rely on that information more than the visual ques
6. Total newbie question: is the video transmission either SD or HD, or is there only one video transmission signal, and SD/HD is solely a function of receiver equipment? In other words, I have SD googles today, can the same Fatshark transmitter drive an HD receiver such as the Lilliput 664?It's SD, and not the best quality-VGA. The Lillilput is an IPS panel monitor, so it will give you the widest field of view, and more color depth than other monitors, and is a very good choice
7. I am leaning toward the Lilliput 664 screen. Questions there:
a. I can’t seem to find what the battery requirements for it are. I have a bunch of 3S LiPo’s left over from my Phantom 1. Will those power the Lilliput 664?Yes with adapter-the voltage rating show what is acceptable-so 3S is no problem
b. Will the video transmitter that came with my Fatshark Attitude SD’s work? Is it the best option for max range? If not, what transmitter is recommended?It works fine. I wouldn't upgrade it-just install it, and use the Spironet CP antenna, no instructions on how though-don't know
c. Antenna connector polarity?SMA
d. Would be delighted if someone could spec exactly which components I need to order for a Lilliput 664 based system off P2 with DJI Zenmuse gimbal and GoPro 3+. Reusing fatshark transmitter only if that is the best range option.
8. Anyone tracking waypoint software / systems? Gotta major jones for what must be coming in that domain.NO, don't. Never fly farther than you can see your Phantom....just don't. You will have a flyaway, or get yourself disoriented and crash. don't rely on software to fly your expensive setup.
9. While I love my initial experiences with Fatshark Attitude SD and Zenmuse, the tilt action is not the least bit smooth. Anyone know if we will soon see smoother tilt functionality? I am guessing I won’t see that until there is a 3-axis gimbal that works with Phantom + GoPro.The tilting will get smoother when DJI comes out with another firmware upgrade for the Gimbal

Thanks all!
Kelly

My Black Pearl with built in battery arrived on Friday. I've watched a few movies on it connected to a dvd player, I've connected it to my roku, and I've connected it to a wii and its awesome. Great picture. I've also connected it to my P2 today and flown with it in the Florida sun. It has a really nice sunshade and if I put my back to the sun, it works with out a problem. For $180 it was a great buy. I really like the fact that I can use it as a TV as well. You can connect it directly to your gopro via HDMI and watch what you've just filmed.

Thanks for the fast response Havasu. So my next order should include:
1) Spironet CP antenna's with SMA
2) Lilliput 664 (does hood come standard with this?)
3) bracket of some sort for holding Lilliput
4) iOSD Mini

What about battery/power connectors for my 3S batteries to the Lilliput, or right-angle connectors for the Spironets to get the proper orientation? anything else I am likely to need? This hobby seems fraught with "Oh you forgot to order..."

Thanks,
Kelly

Ksc said:
My Black Pearl with built in battery arrived on Friday. I've watched a few movies on it connected to a dvd player, I've connected it to my roku, and I've connected it to a wii and its awesome. Great picture. I've also connected it to my P2 today and flown with it in the Florida sun. It has a really nice sunshade and if I put my back to the sun, it works with out a problem. For $180 it was a great buy. I really like the fact that I can use it as a TV as well. You can connect it directly to your gopro via HDMI and watch what you've just filmed.
What's a Black Pearl? Link??
If it's a 7" screen-they're all identical. TN panels, and junk!!
Heck, even phones now with smaller screens are using IPS panels.....yet we can't get a 7" IPS panel for FPV anywhere.

Re: FPV monitor for Phantom 2

Post by wkf94025 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:12 am
1) Spironet CP antenna's with SMA-Yes
2) Lilliput 664 (does hood come standard with this?)Yes
3) bracket of some sort for holding LilliputUse the Tripod mount, put it on a tripod in front of you, and bring a chair to sit in
4) iOSD MiniYep

What about battery/power connectors for my 3S batteries to the Lilliput, or right-angle connectors for the Spironets to get the proper orientation? anything else I am likely to need? This hobby seems fraught with "Oh you forgot to order..."
The antenna's will bend-I don't know about adapters. As for power; wait til your monitor arrives, and see what the end of the DC power cord looks like. Determine pin polarity(usually center of pin is Positive), go to a hobby shop and have them soldier on an XT-60 plug(observer polarity!!), plug in 3S battery and power monitor.

I can solder, and there aren't any hobby shops nearby. should I order some XT60 type lead/connector?

Are tripod mounts included or separate?

Thanks for your help,
Kelly

wkf94025 said:
I can solder, and there aren't any hobby shops nearby. should I order some XT60 type lead/connector?

Are tripod mounts included or separate?

Thanks for your help,
Kelly
Tripod mount is in the base of the monitor. Caution!!! Only screw the thread of your tripod into that hole no more than 3 turns of the monitor. Anymore than that, and you're likely to bend the monitor mount, as the tripod screw may be longer than the hole.
Just order a set of XT60's, 1 male 1 female-they come in a set usually. Use a Multimeter to test the polarity of the power plug....then cut off whatever is attached to the other end, and soldier on your XT-60, making sure you use the one that your battery will plug into. Also, I pull the power plug on mine after each flight...so as not to waste battery power. I've not had a battery run out yet, and have done roughly an hours worth of flying.....

wkf94025 said:
1) Spironet CP antenna's with SMA
2) Lilliput 664 (does hood come standard with this?)
3) bracket of some sort for holding Lilliput
4) iOSD Mini

Hello wkf94025

I will provide you a little more information and links.
First of all, circulair polarized antennas are a good choice for getting better reception between transmitter and receiver.
Currently I didn't find any better screen than the liliput 664 IPS screen, foldable sun hood is included. Also this screen seems to be very populair in the DSLR world. Using a tripod is recommended!

For the iOSD mini in combination with the Zenmuse Gimball (GoPro) and your FPV transmitter, there is a cable fix. As you know the Zenmuse is connected to the Phantoms PCB (Printed Circuit Board), this cable delivers power to the zenmuse and also transfers video from your GoPro. The standard video (CAM) cable at your PCB (going outside the housing the one with the cut-off wires...) will go to your FPV transmitter and transfers the video signal. With the new cable fix you can remove that cable and you can go from your PCB to your iOSD mini and to your FPV transmitter. Also connect your iOSD mini to the CANBUS and you are ready to go! You can also put the CANBUS connection inside the P2 housing, including the small iOSD. Then you have no wires/iosd mini outside your P2.

Link for cable fix: http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/cables ... ransmitter
Link cable fix (without iOSD): http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/cables ... tter-cable
Link for installing (without iOSD): http://vimeo.com/82325586

About the transmitters/receivers. I have found some interesting information about some transmitters that promise you a 600mw output but only delivers half. The following transmitters get some good results:

BosCam TS352 5.8G 500mW - Exceeded specified power rating by more that 236mW..... At Ch4 5645MHz the output power is double what was specified (by GoneFPV)

BosCam Ts353 5.8G 400mW - Exceeded specified power rating by more than 100mW (by GoneFPV)

ImmersionRC 600mW => 28.83 dBm => 764 mW (by GoneFPV)

Link original post: http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php ... ally/page4

About the receivers, it's very important that you look at the receivers sensitivity; this must be -85 dBm or more... The higher the number (-90, -95dBm) the better you will catching your signal from your transmitter. In combination with some CP antennas, you'll get the best results.
For example: ImmersionRC 600mw, Liliput 664 (-90dBm: if google is correct?), CP antennas (all at 5.8ghz frequency) in a non-high density area will give you theoretical 3.6km range. Beware, the environment where you fly is also very important (interference on the same frequency) but if you get good reception in 1km range (what also is the maximum range of your Phantom 2) then there is no problem I think...

Link for calculating range (theoretical): http://www.fpvhobby.com/fpv12.htm

If you don't want an all-in-one FPV system (LCD, receiver, battery) or you already have a good LCD screen, than this receiver is very good: http://www.getfpv.com/immersionrc-duo-5 ... eiver.html in combination with the immersionRC transmitter.

Hopefully this will help.
Enjoy!

Ksc said:
My Black Pearl with built in battery arrived on Friday.

Hello Ksc

Can you provide us a link?
The information I have is that the screen is available but the battery will go on sale later this month.

http://www.rangevideo.com/black-pearl-7 ... -32ch.html

Specifications: brightness: 300cd/m2, contrast: 700:1, LED backlight. Not mind-blowing but what do you expect for that price...
The good thing is that the receiver is dual and supports Airwave and NextWave transmitters and many others on 5.8Ghz due to the 32channels. I think this receiver have also -90 dBm sensitivity...

Beware if you change the antennas to circulair polarized antennas: the Black Pearl have RP-SMA connectors (female)
The Liliput have SMA connections (male), like the Boscam RX-LCD5802 and all other LCD screen in that order.

I'm curious about monitor mount preferences. Tripod or mounted on controller? What are you using. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyshasta said:
I'm curious about monitor mount preferences. Tripod or mounted on controller? What are you using. Thanks

I'm currently not using anything but I think that both systems will work. If the screen is not to heavy and fits on your controller, why not... Otherwise if you mount it on a tripod than there is a possibility that you have a more stable connection with your CP antenna...??? Also other people can watch with you so my personal preference will be mounted on a tripod...

creative86 said:
flyshasta said:
I'm curious about monitor mount preferences. Tripod or mounted on controller? What are you using. Thanks

I'm currently not using anything but I think that both systems will work. If the screen is not to heavy and fits on your controller, why not... Otherwise if you mount it on a tripod than there is a possibility that you have a more stable connection with your CP antenna...??? Also other people can watch with you so my personal preference will be mounted on a tripod...
Get the Lilliput monitor and the Fatshark Base goggles(no head tracker or receiver). Put the monitor on tripod(you don't want a bunch of weight or anything in the way on your remote), plug the Base Goggles into the monitor via the yellow composite in, and you can power both with the same battery-tape the battery to the tripod.

Put the Goggle on your head to warm up, take off watching the monitor, and when you're comfortable, put the goggles on(the Base have glass polarized lenses and are the lightest, and close to the least expensive). I don't want goggles all weighed down with receiver and head tracker....and trust me, there will be times when you will want to watch your quad with your eye's, with quick reference to the monitor. Works well for me.
But, for really close in stuff and indoors-only use your eye's and the monitor-mostly just your eye's.

Collecting my new black pearl dual diversity monitor tomorrow from first person view great price & super fast service only ordered it today

Iceman said:
Collecting my new black pearl dual diversity monitor tomorrow from first person view great price & super fast service only ordered it today

Iceman, let us know your findings about that product.
Very interesting due the discussion we had about the normal LCD monitors and the IPS monitors in sunny conditions.
Also let us know if the reception from the receiver is good, what is the actual sensitivity (dBm)?
Is there also a battery available?

creative86 said:
Iceman said:

Iceman, let us know your findings about that product.
Very interesting due the discussion we had about the normal LCD monitors and the IPS monitors in sunny conditions.
Also let us know if the reception from the receiver is good, what is the actual sensitivity (dBm)?
Is there also a battery available?
Comes supplied with battery sensitivity is 90 db & will let you know the quality picking it up later

If it's possible, please provide us with a link. I only find links to buy the product without internal battery.
Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik