FPV flying - tips and tricks

Reaction score
OK so having flown the P3 a couple of times now something has become obvious to me.

In Australia (and I believe elsewhere) we have rules about only flying in line of sight, no FPV.

With my little toy trainer quad that's exactly what I did, and had to do.
With the P3 I may adhere to the letter of the rules but lets face it, put it 40 metres up and 200 out and you can probably see it if you look closely... and at a pinch I could fly it but really most of the job is being done via the screen at that point.

Having reviewed the footage of my minor crash, and the comments about perspective in the thread today about taking a photo of a P3 WITH a P3 I think in hindsight I may have glanced down at the screen and misjudged distance due to the wide angle which contributed to the issue.

So are there any tips and tricks to flying FPV rather than LOS? Or is it simply a matter of gradual experience?

If you want to be able to see it while you're flying it even far out, consider wiring some bright LED lights to the Phantom. That way you can visually see it from far away. You'll have to attach them to the battery leads on the main board.

Maybe splitting hairs, but rules are that you must operate within visual line of sight, you can still use fpv but have to be able to see the phantom.
Tips on fpv...
Until you are really happy pick an altitude on your telemetry and fly around at that height.
Practice flying away, turning round and fly back without looking away from the fpv
Practice reading the telemetry, the wide angle lens doesn't give you a great sense of distance, speed or height.
Try not to flick between looking at the fpv and the phantom.
Practise, practise and practise.

Maybe splitting hairs, but rules are that you must operate within visual line of sight, you can still use fpv but have to be able to see the phantom.
Tips on fpv...
Until you are really happy pick an altitude on your telemetry and fly around at that height.
Practice flying away, turning round and fly back without looking away from the fpv
Practice reading the telemetry, the wide angle lens doesn't give you a great sense of distance, speed or height.
Try not to flick between looking at the fpv and the phantom.
Practise, practise and practise.
+1, practice is the only way to get comfortable with FPV flying. I did as stated above, set my height above any surrounding structures (in my case trees) and used only the screen to fly, making a point to look at the telemetry a lot. Pick an object and fly to what you think is 50' from it, then look at the distance with your mark 1 eyeball and see how accurate you were. If you do this a lot then at some point (sooner for some later for others) you will be able to judge the distance via FPV very close to actual distance. I burned thru more than a few batteries on my P2 doing this, The P3 is much easier as I am not looking thru a 120º lens. I find that the hardest distance to judge accurately is height above an obstacle, must be perspective as they always look further away than they are (kind of like you auto mirror, "Objects are closer than they appear") Fly safe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.